Full screen hand writing recognition in iPad flash card.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
anchan42 said:
Is there any option I can set to enable it?
I have it on iPhone but not the iPad version.

Not on iPad at the moment - I believe you're actually the first person to request it. It's actually kind of problematic to have a transparent OpenGL surface that big - that's also why we don't offer transparent full-screen handwriting on the iPad in the regular dictionary.

anchan42

探花
I had been trying out one month subscription with skritter and suddenly felt that the writing area on the iPad is a bit too small.
It felt really good writing full screen on the iPad.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
anchan42 said:
I had been trying out one month subscription with skritter and suddenly felt that the writing area on the iPad is a bit too small.
It felt really good writing full screen on the iPad.

Well if we can figure out a way to get it working without making people's iPads crash, we can certainly try it, but that's the big problem at the moment. (the sketch box actually is full-screen, but it's a bit too unreliable on the iPad 3 at the moment and we've actually been thinking about confining it to a corner too)

anchan42

探花
Thanks Mike. It doesn't need to be transparent though. Most of the time the definition area has a lot of space left. If you can make the sketch box bigger it would be a plus. Or maybe just make the defination area transparent instead of the whole screen. just some ideas. :D

radioman

状元
anchan42 said:
Thanks Mike. It doesn't need to be transparent though. Most of the time the definition area has a lot of space left. If you can make the sketch box bigger it would be a plus. Or maybe just make the defination area transparent instead of the whole screen. just some ideas. :D

Just my two cents - that a box 2 inch by 2 inch seems to be a good size to start getting the feeling of how to write the characters onto paper. Full screen seems like a lot to me, but I'm sure thats subjective. I use Skritter on my IPhone rather than the iPad because I thought writing with the iPad would be too large (I realize some don't have the option of choice). I also find the smaller device more convenient for just running a quick flashcard session when I'm out and about.

anchan42

探花
I do use iPhone when I am out. For me I don't think writing on screen will ever replace the feelling of writing on paper.
I like full screen mode in skritter because it allow me to write really fast. It was like playing fruit ninja and it's fun.
Besides it is good for traditional charecters with lot of stroke crammed together.

radioman

状元
anchan42 said:
I do use iPhone when I am out. For me I don't think writing on screen will ever replace the feelling of writing on paper.
I like full screen mode in skritter because it allow me to write really fast. It was like playing fruit ninja and it's fun.
Besides it is good for traditional charecters with lot of stroke crammed together.

Ha! I know the feeling. I wonder what you are using as a stylus.

I bought a cheap but effective stylus and made it longer by adding the back end of a pen to it so it is like 7 inches long. I find it much easier than a small one for long study sessions. Even on the iPhone, I can get that painting/slashing feeling. Maybe I need to try it on the iPad.

anchan42

探花
I never use a stylus on ios device before. You've make me want to try. Would a cheap one from eBay works? Or do I need a bit more decent ones?

radioman

状元
anchan42 said:
I never use a stylus on ios device before. You've make me want to try. Would a cheap one from eBay works? Or do I need a bit more decent ones?

You would need to purchase the right kind. Many of them are basically the same design. I wrote a bunch of my own experience up with regard to using a stylus using Skritter. If you want to read more about it, you can do so at the following link: http://is.gd/R1eYxH.

Even though link eferences Skritter, all the same issues apply to drawing using a pen for Pleco, or other iOS apps.