Fuzzy pinyin search

juang

秀才
Hi,

Is there a way to search for common pinyin misspellings like zhi when I type zi, or jing when I type jin? Like how the iPhone keyboard does it.

I know I need to learn the difference, but it’s very hard in Taiwan when I hear a word and I want to look it up since the pronunciation is not that noticeable. It is particularly difficult when both words are vague, and I have to end up searching 4 times to find the word.

Thanks in advance!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not at the moment, though we're working on it. Our big new 4.0 update has extended the synonym-matching feature we already use to match color with colour etc to be customizable and apply to other search types, so you can specify a set of alternative syllables for any given Pinyin syllable you might enter and it'll search for those at the same time.

juang

秀才
Great, thanks for the update! Apologies since I imagine you answer this a lot, but where can I follow up with the progress / estimated launch of 4.0?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There isn't really a centralized place for that - any interesting news generally gets posted somewhere in the forums, though.