Galaxy Nexus (international) question

I just bought a Galaxy Nexus (international version in Taiwan) and I was wondering when the Pleco Professional Bundle for Android will be available for download.

I am new, but I did a search and could not find any info on whether the Android Beta version will work well on "Ice Cream Sandwich."

Am I better off paying for the Pleco Professional Bundle for Android now or waiting for the official release? (I am most interested in using the Optical Character Recognizer feature).

Thanks for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sk8erfrombham said:
I just bought a Galaxy Nexus (international version in Taiwan) and I was wondering when the Pleco Professional Bundle for Android will be available for download.

I am new, but I did a search and could not find any info on whether the Android Beta version will work well on "Ice Cream Sandwich."

Am I better off paying for the Pleco Professional Bundle for Android now or waiting for the official release? (I am most interested in using the Optical Character Recognizer feature).

We have one ICS device here and so far it seems to work fine - there were a few crashing issues in various settings screens but we fixed them in the newest Beta 5. But the official release shouldn't be too far away if you prefer to wait.

If I download the "pleco.com/getandroid" will I get the full "Pleco Professional Bundle for Android" or only some of the add-ons?

Also, when you say, "the official release shouldn't be too far away" does that mean 2011 or sometime in 2012?

Also, is there support for Traditional Characters and Taiwan dialect?

Thanks for your quick replies!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sk8erfrombham said:
If I download the "pleco.com/getandroid" will I get the full "Pleco Professional Bundle for Android" or only some of the add-ons?

That's just the basic app, but you can download the add-ons from inside of it.

sk8erfrombham said:
Also, when you say, "the official release shouldn't be too far away" does that mean 2011 or sometime in 2012?

Well we're so close to the edge now that I don't want to make any promises, but certainly very early 2012 if not 2011.

sk8erfrombham said:
Also, is there support for Traditional Characters and Taiwan dialect?

Traditional characters yes, Taiwan dialect a little bit (a few of our dictionaries had some Taiwanese editors) but not as much as we'd like - we've had an incredibly difficult time getting publishers in Taiwan to work with us, even the Ministry of Education wasn't interested in licensing out their dictionaries - I guess they prefer to keep everything domestic.

I've got a few more questions for you mike (great customer service, BTW).

What is the dictionary that is used in the Android Beta download?

The reason I ask is because I'm not sure whether to buy the Pleco Basic Bundle for Android or the Pleco Professional Bundle for Android.

I noticed that if you buy the Basic Bundle you get The NWP English-Chinese Pinyin dictionary, but if you buy the Professional Bundle, this dictionary is not included.

Three dictionaries are included in the Professional Bundle, but I'm not sure if I can look up words using Pinyin.

Thanks for you help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sk8erfrombham said:
I've got a few more questions for you mike (great customer service, BTW).

What is the dictionary that is used in the Android Beta download?

The reason I ask is because I'm not sure whether to buy the Pleco Basic Bundle for Android or the Pleco Professional Bundle for Android.

I noticed that if you buy the Basic Bundle you get The NWP English-Chinese Pinyin dictionary, but if you buy the Professional Bundle, this dictionary is not included.

Three dictionaries are included in the Professional Bundle, but I'm not sure if I can look up words using Pinyin.

The beta download gives you two free dictionaries - the "Pleco Basic" and CC-CEDICT.

The NWP dictionary isn't included in Professional because the ABC English-Chinese is very similar (slightly fewer entries but similar scope / depth) and is a better fit with the ABC Chinese-English.

The "Piniyn" in the NWP dictionary's name has no bearing on search capabilities. All of our Chinese-to-English dictionaries allow for Pinyin searches, but none of our English-to-Chinese dictionaries do since you're looking up English words and there's no Pinyin for that :) The Pinyin in the NWP E-C's name just refers to the fact that it has Pinyin in its definitions, but the ABC English-Chinese does as well - the only E-C dictionary we currently offer that doesn't include Pinyin in definitions is 21st Century. (but it's enormous and comprehensive in a way that no Pinyin-equipped E-C dictionary is, which is why we include it in Professional so that you get the best of both worlds)

I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I have been carrying a Blackberry and an Ipod Touch JUST FOR Pleco! This week I will be consolidating to a Galaxy Nexus. I will definitely install the beta on the Nexus and would like to transfer/have access to my Professional Bundle too. I would also like to buy the OCR (haven't bought it yet as my Touch doesn't have a camera). What would you suggest I do to maximize Pleco on my Nexus?

I can wait if you guys think you will go live by the end of the month or so. But I have literally been waiting on Pleco to buy an Android phone and I finally have enough of my ancient Blackberry (and I refuse to get an iPhone)! I've been watching this space since back when Mike was adamant about not doing an Android version at all. It has been that long that I've been waiting!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ConfuciusTse said:
I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I have been carrying a Blackberry and an Ipod Touch JUST FOR Pleco! This week I will be consolidating to a Galaxy Nexus. I will definitely install the beta on the Nexus and would like to transfer/have access to my Professional Bundle too. I would also like to buy the OCR (haven't bought it yet as my Touch doesn't have a camera). What would you suggest I do to maximize Pleco on my Nexus?

Not really any specific recommendations, but if you run into any issues please do let us know. Only Android 4.0 bug we're aware of at the moment has to do with the "Take Picture" command in OCR, and we've already fixed that for the next beta. Also, we haven't XHDPI-optimized our icons yet since we don't have an XHDPI-screened device here to test them on (waiting for the Galaxy Nexus' unlocked price to get a bit lower than its current US$700, hopefully in the next few weeks).

ConfuciusTse said:
I can wait if you guys think you will go live by the end of the month or so. But I have literally been waiting on Pleco to buy an Android phone and I finally have enough of my ancient Blackberry (and I refuse to get an iPhone)! I've been watching this space since back when Mike was adamant about not doing an Android version at all. It has been that long that I've been waiting!

Seems very likely, but you really won't lose anything by moving to the beta now - it's pretty much done and there aren't likely to be any major undiscovered bugs still lurking.

So what should I do about transferring my bundle from my Ipod Touch to my Galaxy Nexus? I also want to purchase the OCR add-on. Confused...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ConfuciusTse said:
So what should I do about transferring my bundle from my Ipod Touch to my Galaxy Nexus? I also want to purchase the OCR add-on. Confused...

Did you buy originally on Palm/WM or on iOS? iOS-to-Android transfers won't be supported until the finished version is out - sorry I was confused about what you were looking for.

Nope, I only bought the Ipod for Pleco. So I guess I'm waiting then. Hopefully soon? Should I buy the OCR add-on now or will that just mess up my transfer later?

So, I bought the Professional Bundle for my Galaxy Nexus and it has been working great. Now I'm planning to root my device and unlock the bootloader, which will totally wipe my phone.

After I root my phone, will I be able to install Pleco Professional Bundle and easily reactivate my purchase?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ConfuciusTse said:
Nope, I only bought the Ipod for Pleco. So I guess I'm waiting then. Hopefully soon? Should I buy the OCR add-on now or will that just mess up my transfer later?

Wouldn't mess up your transfer, no, at least not in a way that we can't easily unwrangle later for you.

sk8erfrombham said:
So, I bought the Professional Bundle for my Galaxy Nexus and it has been working great. Now I'm planning to root my device and unlock the bootloader, which will totally wipe my phone.

After I root my phone, will I be able to install Pleco Professional Bundle and easily reactivate my purchase?

Yes - just enter the same Registration ID, the activation system now is a lot more forgiving than it used to be so you shouldn't have any problem with this even if the device's hardware ID changes.