german-english dictionary

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

Since we discuss German here at the moment.

Anybody managed successfully to create a dictionary for pleco from Pocket Dings database: http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/doc/about.de.html

I did not manage ... but I did also not spend too much time with it. Wil try once more. One problem was to get the dictinary in little-Endian ...

Pocket Ding is not really fast (basically cause it searches everything in the dictionary) For a brief search I would appreciate Pleco. Still could use Pocket Ding for in depth searches ...

regards
Daniel

ipsi

状元
I'd be happy to help, but I'm utterly incapable of reading German... :).

Getting it to Little Endian shouldn't be a problem. How's it currently formatted? If it's a text file, I'd recommend giving EmEditor a try. It's awesome for converting between encodings and suchlike.

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

Thanks for the tip concerning EmEditor. It is not easy to get the really free version now ... but it is possible. I don't like to use Shareware and don't feel like I need that often enough to buy something ...

However the program did not help to solve my problem.

The database is a Text-file. It has all the words in this order:
German :: English

So I replaced " :: " with 2 tabs and gave Makepleco a try (acting as if the german was Chinese ...). However I first get an error for every line saying:
"Oversized Char block in line xxx"

and later:
"Oversized Pinyin syllable, line xxx"

I tried all End character methods (No Change, LF, CR + LF, CR)
But nothing changes ...

Putting a space character in the PinYin part does not help either (replacing " :: " with "\t \t")

I know MakePleco does not have support but this is a forum - no support :) Any idea?

regards
Daniel

ipsi

状元
I would recommend making it English -> Chinese. That should solve a couple of problems (like the oversized pinyin problem).

The only difference is that it should be German \t English, as there's no need for an empty pronounciation column.

Even so, I suspect the dictionary would still work. It just won't look as pretty, and may have issues searching the longer headwords. Synch it and see if it works.

Can you provide a link to the text file?

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

Thanks for the input. I tried your idea but now I get another error:

lots of these ...
"Out-of-order English, line 35564: spitze Klammer | spi in Klammern setzen;
This dictionary may not search correctly."

The dictionary can be found here:
http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/Local/urz/ding/de-en/

I think all germans would appreciate that ...

Maybe it would be sufficient to tell which characters may not be part of entries ...

thanks in advance

best regards
Daniel