German Mirror Server Domain Name

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Small thing, but since there are quite a few German-speaking Plecophiles here:

Along with our newly-set-up mirror server in Taiwan (pleco.com.tw/whatever-the-name-of-the-file-you-want-is - links will show up on our download pages soon) we're also planning to get one going in Germany for the sake of our European customers, and we're trying to pick a good domain name for it - can anyone suggest anything? My best idea based on my very limited knowledge of German is "plecospiegel.com," in keeping with with the "plecomirror.com" theme we have going for our US mirror, but if that has some negative connotation I'm not aware of it'd be nice to know about that beforehand :) Thanks.

mfcb

状元
plecospiegel.com would be fine, no negative connotations, whatever.
but anyway "mirror" is already a commonly used term in german for this kind of site, to use "spiegel" for it is almost like trying to use "rechner" instead of "computer"...

fplanjer

秀才
If you are setting up a mirror for all european customers I think you should not use 'spiegel', but 'mirror'. 'Spiegel' would probably be clear to German speaking customers (germany, austria, etc), but not so clear for many other customers.

Another thougth: why not just use another TLD, like pleco.de? The same as what you dit for the Taiwan mirror.

Regards, Felix

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
pleco.de is taken, sadly, but perhaps plecomirror.de or something like that - not a big deal, I suppose, since most of the time people will just be clicking on a link without seeing the domain anyway, but it'd be nice to have something reasonably friendly / memorable. Thanks.