Google ARC Welder

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If your iOS license was purchased originally on iOS, you can transfer it to Android and keep using it on iOS too - we have lots of other people in that situation using ARC Welder so we certainly aren't going to start punishing them.

If your iOS license was purchased originally on iOS, you can transfer it to Android and keep using it on iOS too - we have lots of other people in that situation using ARC Welder so we certainly aren't going to start punishing them.

Does it only "activate" iOS purchases on Android? i.e.: and not Palm purchases as well?

I would rather keep my Palm purchases on iOS rather than Android. (edit: I feel like I've asked this before...)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, no, to activate only the iOS ones is a bit more complicated:

1) Go into the Pleco "Registration" screen on your iPhone, write down the Registration ID at the top of the screen, and tap "Deactivate."
2) Tap "Restore iTunes Purchases."
3) Use the new ID that appears after that to do the Android transfer.
4) Tap "Enter New Registration ID" and enter the old ID that you wrote down in step 1.

Got it.

Not to get held up on semantics or anything but the clauses still say: "transfer this license to the Android version of Pleco", is it really being transferred or just activated?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
As long as it was purchased on iOS it's only being activated - we use the "transfer" language because with Palm/WM licenses it is in fact a transfer and we'd rather people misunderstand it in that direction than the opposite one (thinking it's an activation when it's actually a transfer).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you email us we can arrange to convert that into a 'full' Pleco license at a large discount.

I'm really happy finally to have Pleco on a Windows computer using Arc Welder after so many years. It mostly performs well on my Windows Surface Pro but there are three things which don't really work. One of these is there is no connection to the camera, but this isn't a particular problem for me. The second is the problem with the touch screen, but as others have noticed it seems to work fine as long as you use the pen rather than your finger. The third problem I've had is trying to backup flash card files. Instead of providing a "save file" window, it gives me a "open file" window that obviously then doesn't allow a backup file to be saved.

I realise that Pleco doesn't officially support Arc Welder, but I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest a solution to this backup problem, because I'd really like to be able to synch between phone and Windows. Alternatively, if Mike is thinking about optimising performance on Arc Welder then perhaps there is a change that could be made in Pleco that would prevent the problem in a future release.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We'll investigate - working on some other ARC Welder improvements actually like X86 support.

One [...] there is no connection to the camera, [...] second [...] the touch screen, [...] third problem I've had is trying to backup flash card files. Instead of providing a "save file" window, it gives me a "open file" window that obviously then doesn't allow a backup file to be saved.
I can confirm all the three issues you mentioned appear for me as well on my laptop (Win 8.1 U1 x64, Chrome x64). With the third one, I actually went a step farther by creating an empty .xml file and selecting it with the Open dialog but then Pleco throws an error anyway. There is also the fourth issue, which is that the CPU usage is ~40% even when idle. Other than that, everything works flawlessly (to the extent that I tested it).

During the initial setup when downloading add-ons I also had a brief warning telling me I exceeded some 1024 MB quota limit but switching the app on and off made it go away and then all the add-ons eventually installed without issues.

With the newest beta (3.2.13), file saving works perfectly. Also, all the files can actually be stored in an easily accessible filesystem folder if you add the following "additional metadata" to the ARC Welder settings:
Code:
{"enableExternalDirectory": true}
This means the add-ons can be preserved through an update and don't need to be re-downloaded.

Now if anyone has an idea how to get rid of the annoying prompt to disable developer extensions on every Chrome restart, please share it. The old trick with patching chrome.dll seems not to work anymore.

Wan

榜眼
I’m using the latest beta of Pleco with the latest version of arc welder in chromium, and the I’m delighted how well it works!
There is one issue though, and I hope someone here can reproduce it and tell me how to fix it: the clipboard reader is extremely slow. Even scrolling up and down is next to impossible, and I don’t even get pop-up definitions. Is this a known bug?

edit: I’m running Xmonad in Arch Linux on a thinkpad x201 (4GB RAM, 1st gen core i7 CPU), if that’s of interest.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Wan - Seeing this here too, actually - very odd. My best guess is that it has something to do with the bridge between the system clipboard and the one internal to ARC Welder, something that's causing a notification about clipboard changes to fire off many times a second. Anyway hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it soon.

Reactions: Wan

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, that's a mistake on our part - looks like we need to keep using the Android storage access framework to open files and only use our own system for saving them. In the meantime, if you follow @Captain Planet's advice and add {"enableExternalDirectory": true} to the settings on the configuration page when you're seeing up Pleco in ARC Welder, that will store all of Pleco's data files in a filesystem directory which you'll therefore also be able to copy document files into / out of.

Reactions: Wan
Been playing with the newly released Bluestacks for Mac and Pleco seems to work smoother than ARC Welder on the mac.

Chrome kept causing weird crashes for my entire system before, not sure why & Pleco running on ARC Welder reacted fairly slow.

Wan

榜眼
@ACardiganAndAFrown – Interesting! While I can’t give Bluestacks a try, apart from the clipboard reader error, Pleco runs completely without lag on my system, and chromium hasn’t crashed on me once.

@mikelove – using {"enableExternalDirectory": true} works like a charm. I can now copy files to the specified folder and open them in Android. The lag is gone as well. When my phone conks out, I can finally revert to a dumbphone :)

Last edited: