Google TTS Voices

I'm not sure if this is a Pleco issue or a Google issue. My app is set to use Google's Speech Services TTS engine, which has several voice options. I want to use Voice IV, which is what I have selected under Audio > System TTS Settings > Preferred engine settings > Install voice data > Chinese (China) > Voice IV. However, when using the file reader's TTS service, it seems to default back to Voice I. Did I miss an extra setting somewhere to use it for the file reader?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
At the moment we don't offer a way to select a specific voice for TTS - we just pick the default one for whatever language it is.

We can certainly look at supporting more voices, but to be honest that part Android is terrifyingly fragmented, so I'd be reluctant to do it except in a major update with a lot of beta testing (so that we don't end up inadvertently breaking TTS support on a zillion weird Android forks).

That's understandable! I would definitely use this feature if it was included in Pleco, though, so it would be great if it could be implemented.

Could you guys also consider linking Amazon Polly or Google Wavenet voices? These are paid options for the browser add-on Read Aloud (which I stopped using as much when I figured out Pleco had a document reader.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Could you guys also consider linking Amazon Polly or Google Wavenet voices?

Maybe, but to be honest it'd be a pretty big project (our system is only built around offline TTS, integrating online TTS services would be a whole new thing) so I'd have to see a lot of demand before we could consider it.