Guifan definitions export as simplified

I have checked all the settings for this and can't figure out what's going, so sorry if the answer is obvious. I use Pleco in traditional, and all the flashcards I export to my PC accordingly show up with traditional characters, with the exception of Guifan definitions (not the words themselves, strangely), which always export as simplified. They remain in traditional in Pleco's flashcard database, though. I can read simplified, so it's not a big deal, but I'd prefer if they were traditional. Thanks to anyone who might be able to find a fix for me.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Unfadeable said:
I have checked all the settings for this and can't figure out what's going, so sorry if the answer is obvious. I use Pleco in traditional, and all the flashcards I export to my PC accordingly show up with traditional characters, with the exception of Guifan definitions (not the words themselves, strangely), which always export as simplified. They remain in traditional in Pleco's flashcard database, though. I can read simplified, so it's not a big deal, but I'd prefer if they were traditional. Thanks to anyone who might be able to find a fix for me.

What are you configuring for the "Character set" under "File Format" on the Export screen?

scykei

榜眼
I think Guifan was designed for the simplified characters since some of the definition includes notes which only apply to the simplified character set. :\

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Unfadeable said:
Traditional.

OK, I'm seeing this problem here too now... very odd. We actually only added support for exporting Guifan definitions recently so it's possible there may be a bug here... we'll investigate it and hopefully get it working correctly in the next release. Sorry about that.

scykei said:
I think Guifan was designed for the simplified characters since some of the definition includes notes which only apply to the simplified character set. :\

Indeed, but the same is true with virtually all of our dictionaries - we actually did just recently license one traditional-only one, but the vast majority of the Chinese dictionary publishing done now is in simplified. (Oxford stopped making a traditional character version of their Chinese dictionary about a decade ago, and they're based in Hong Kong) So our traditional character users generally get dictionaries that have had their headwords manually converted to traditional and their definitions automatically converted with a little manual checking / tweaking - not perfect, but enough to make them usable for people who only know traditional.

Thanks for looking into it, MIke, like I said it's not a big deal for me and if anything keeps my simplified from getting too rusty =)