Having trouble Installing Pleco Add On's through iTunes

danger

According to this pleco support page: http://www.pleco.com/ipdirectdownload.html

Add ons such as OCR can be installed through USB connection/iTunes. from this page:

However I have been unable to follow the directions because there is no "Apps" Tab in the same way as described.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this successfully. My iPhone 3GS currently has no working internet connection(wifi is broken, and i dont have a 3G connection curently) so I have to use USB installation if possible.

My software is up to date: latest version of Pleco, latest version of iTunes, and iOS 4 on the iPhone 3GS.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
danger said:
According to this pleco support page:http://www.pleco.com/ipdirectdownload.html

Add ons such as OCR can be installed through USB connection/iTunes. from this page:

However I have been unable to follow the directions because there is no "Apps" Tab in the same way as described.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this successfully. My iPhone 3GS currently has no working internet connection(wifi is broken, and i dont have a 3G connection curently) so I have to use USB installation if possible.

My software is up to date: latest version of Pleco, latest version of iTunes, and iOS 4 on the iPhone 3GS.

To get to the "Apps" tab, connect your iPhone to your computer, open up iTunes, then click on your iPhone's name in the bar on the left side of the screen in iTunes - "Apps" should then show up at the top of the screen.

danger

This is the screen i get when i click on my iPhone
6118577899_db53de39b5_z.jpg

This is the screen I get when i click on Apps.

(Top)
6119122590_a2d3b2837a_z.jpg

(Scrolled down)
6118584551_51d89565e3_z.jpg

It allows me to Sync Apps, and also do File Sharing for certain apps. It does not allow me to do Step 3: "Select "Pleco" from the box near the bottom of the screen, click on "Add...," and select the file you downloaded to copy it over. You can also just drag the file into the list of files under "Pleco Documents.""

iTunes version 10.4

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
danger said:
It allows me to Sync Apps, and also do File Sharing for certain apps. It does not allow me to do Step 3: "Select "Pleco" from the box near the bottom of the screen, click on "Add...," and select the file you downloaded to copy it over. You can also just drag the file into the list of files under "Pleco Documents.""

That last screen is exactly what you want. Click on the "Pleco" icon under "File Sharing," then look in the bottom right corner of "Documents" - do the buttons appear?

danger

Thank you, that worked(Although the original instructions could have been more clear - you're welcome to use my screenshot to clarify if needed).

However now the new problem is that if i actually try to OCR using either block or scroll lookup. It takes the picture, and crashes while saving/analysing it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
danger said:
However now the new problem is that if i actually try to OCR using either block or scroll lookup. It takes the picture, and crashes while saving/analysing it.

Probably a low memory issue... does it work better if you select a photo from an album instead? What about if you power your iPhone completely off and on (hold down the power button), does that get it to take and recognize photos without crashing?