Help needed with Pleco Flashards

lifir

Hi there

Can anyone recommend the best settings in order to learn with pleco. I couldn't find e.g. the function where I can define that the words should be repeated within one session if I got them wrong. How can I learn using the Leitner memorization method and what settings are required for that?

Thank you for your support.

Lifir

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
lifir said:
Can anyone recommend the best settings in order to learn with pleco. I couldn't find e.g. the function where I can define that the words should be repeated within one session if I got them wrong. How can I learn using the Leitner memorization method and what settings are required for that?

Flashcard Testing / Commands / End-of-session / Repeat incorrect would be the setting to repeat incorrect cards within a session.

As far as Leitner, changing the scoring system under Flashcard Testing / Scoring to "Manual" would get you pretty close to a Leitner method - straight linear score progressions - though there's some question as to how you'd want to review your boxes; do you want to see cards from all boxes proportionally weighted based on how far along they are, or do you want to just study one box at a time?

lifir

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Regarding the Leitner system I have still one question:
When you are at scoring/manual/configure scoring: There are two categories to chose "score increase" and "score decrease" but in both categories you need to define what happens with the score when you have studied the card correctly. Should it not rather be under "score increase" if studied correct and under "score decrease" if studied INcorrect?

Is there a sample setting (e.g. print screen) available for how to chose the settings when someone would like to work as close as possible to the Leitner system?
BR Lifir

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
lifir said:
When you are at scoring/manual/configure scoring: There are two categories to chose "score increase" and "score decrease" but in both categories you need to define what happens with the score when you have studied the card correctly. Should it not rather be under "score increase" if studied correct and under "score decrease" if studied INcorrect?

Quite right - just a labeling bug, the actual functions should work as you'd expect so just imagine that that says "incorrect" and we'll fix it in the next update :)

lifir said:
Is there a sample setting (e.g. print screen) available for how to chose the settings when someone would like to work as close as possible to the Leitner system?

Well there are a lot of different versions of Leitner floating around - what exactly would you like it to do? Per my earlier question, do you want to see cards from all boxes proportionally weighted based on how far along they are, or do you want to just study one box at a time?

lifir

Hi Again

I'm still struggeling with finding the right and easy settings with pleco. Here therefore my questions:

What settings do I need to set when I would like to learn in the following Leitner based way:

1. I would like to be shown a maximum of 6 unlearned (categories a, b, c) cards at a time
2. I would like to have my cards distinguished automatically by the system in 6 categories a) not learned at all b) once learned but not mastered c) twice or more times learned but not mastered d) once mastered e) twice or more times mastered f) learned
3. Each succeeding group has a longer period of time before I'm required to revisit the cards.
4. Each learning session I would like to not see more than 30/40 cards

Can you help me to find the right or most close settings for this system.

If this does not work with Plece please tell me the way to limit the number of new cards a time to 5/6 cards. If I have 40 new cards each time I tend to forget the card 1 when reaching card 40. The settings "limit unlearned cards" and "card is learned if" seem not to work with me. I keep learning cards which I mastered ten times and which have a high score and I get always new cards even so I limited the unlearned cards to a number of 5.

Thank you for your kind support and best regards

Liv

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
lifir said:
1. I would like to be shown a maximum of 6 unlearned (categories a, b, c) cards at a time

Flashcard Testing / Card Selection / Learned Cards / Limit # of unlearned = ON
Flashcard Testing / Card Selection / Learned Cards / To = 6

lifir said:
2. I would like to have my cards distinguished automatically by the system in 6 categories a) not learned at all b) once learned but not mastered c) twice or more times learned but not mastered d) once mastered e) twice or more times mastered f) learned
3. Each succeeding group has a longer period of time before I'm required to revisit the cards.

How do you define "mastered" versus "learned"?

You could get something a bit like this via Flashcard Testing / Card Selection / Scoring / Scoring system = Manual; with the default settings for that (configurable under "Configure Scoring" on that same screen), cards would start out with a score of 100, have their score increase by 100 each time you answer them correctly, and have their score reset back to 100 on any incorrect answer. So that would be similar to the behavior of a lot of Leitner-based systems, each 100 increment constituting a separate "box."

lifir said:
4. Each learning session I would like to not see more than 30/40 cards

Flashcard Testing / Card Selection / System = Random
Flashcard Testing / Max number of cards = 30 (or 40).

lifir said:
If this does not work with Plece please tell me the way to limit the number of new cards a time to 5/6 cards. If I have 40 new cards each time I tend to forget the card 1 when reaching card 40. The settings "limit unlearned cards" and "card is learned if" seem not to work with me. I keep learning cards which I mastered ten times and which have a high score and I get always new cards even so I limited the unlearned cards to a number of 5.

How is the "card is learned if" threshold configured? It might be that it's marking a card as "learned" after a single correct review - that's actually the default behavior in some cases. Raise that threshold and that should help matters.

lifir

Thank you very much for your quick answer! Regarding the Leitner system I will try it out- Thank you!

Regarding the Card is learned issue I set the data as follows:

Card Selection: Repetition Spaced
Day Type: Calendar
Points per day: 100
Card is learned if correct in a row: 3
Limit # of unlearned to: 30
priorize by: random

With this setting I get my 30 cards but I have to go through all the cards until the end. So within this group of 30 all cards are new or unlearned to me. I would like it that I have a group of 30 cards in total and only 5 unlearned at the time. Whenever I have learned one card (of the group of 30) a new card out of the sample cards should be added until I have learned all 30 cards.

Maybe I should change to Card Selection: Alternating or so?

Sorry but I really still don't get it how to do the settings for this.

:) Lifir

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
lifir said:
Regarding the Card is learned issue I set the data as follows:

Card Selection: Repetition Spaced
Day Type: Calendar
Card is learned if correct in a row: 3
Limit # of unlearned to: 30
priorize by: random

With this setting I get my 30 cards but I have to go through all the cards until the end. So within this group of 30 all cards are new or unlearned to me. I would like it that I have a group of 30 cards in total and only 5 unlearned at the time. Whenever I have learned one card (of the group of 30) a new card out of the sample cards should be added until I have learned all 30 cards.

Maybe I should change to Card Selection: Alternating or so?

Repetition spaced is the problem here, yes - change it to Random and that should improve matters considerably. There are too few cards due for review and that's why it's giving you so many new ones.

JohnS

I will try to be as brief as possible.

I need LOTS of help, because I just got an iPod, and bought the "basic bundle". I have been trying to figure out what I have and how to use it.

I thought I was getting something called "handwriting" but I don't know how to turn it on, or what it should look like, or where to find it. I see it in the list of purchased add-ons, but when I tap on it, I just get a paragragh describing the feature. I have never actully seen this functioning. Do I need to download or buy some kind of key?

Re. flashcards, I managed to use the pleco browser to get at and download and install a HSK list. But it feels like I am getting words completely at random, some are too easy, and some are too hard.

I always tell my ESL students not to waste their time studying a dictionary page by page without regard to whether or not those are words that will ever be of practical use to them. But that's exactly what I feel like I am doing with the HSK so far. I wish I had some kind of topical categories, like "food" or "business", etc., because focusing in that way would help me, I think.

I have been looking through the forum threads, trying to find some practical advice on how to optimize the settings for the flashcard function for various types of practice. If someone knows where to look for this kind of information, please fill me in.

Is there a description of how to find and turn on the handwriting function?

I am getting very depressed because the reason I wanted pleco was because I hoped that my time spent using this technology would be more effective than with the "paper-pencil-dictionary and stack of flashcards" approach.

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JohnS said:
I thought I was getting something called "handwriting" but I don't know how to turn it on, or what it should look like, or where to find it. I see it in the list of purchased add-ons, but when I tap on it, I just get a paragragh describing the feature. I have never actully seen this functioning. Do I need to download or buy some kind of key?

Go into the main dictionary search screen (the "Dict" tab), tap on the search bar at the top of the screen to open the keyboard, then tap on the "HWR" button just below the keyboard.

This is actually one of our most common new user issues, and one we're trying to do a better job with in our forthcoming UI redesign - along with switching from "HWR" to a friendly paintbrush icon we also plan to put more informative information on that description page in "Add-ons."

JohnS said:
Re. flashcards, I managed to use the pleco browser to get at and download and install a HSK list. But it feels like I am getting words completely at random, some are too easy, and some are too hard.

Roughly what HSK level are you at? The best fix for this would probably be to tap on the "Categories" option and choose just the HSK level that you want to study words from. If some are too easy and some are too hard you probably want level 2 or 3.

You might find that flashcards tutorial instructive - there are also a couple of other tutorials available in the instruction manual that will walk you through some of the other features.

JohnS said:
I always tell my ESL students not to waste their time studying a dictionary page by page without regard to whether or not those are words that will ever be of practical use to them. But that's exactly what I feel like I am doing with the HSK so far. I wish I had some kind of topical categories, like "food" or "business", etc., because focusing in that way would help me, I think.

Topical vocabulary lists are a tough thing to come by, actually - very few dictionaries get that fine-grained, they might indicate that a word is of a particular style or fits to a particular academic discipline (chemistry, history, etc) but they'll rarely try to comprehensively tag words as "food" or "business" related. You could sniff around the Flashcard Exchange forum here and see if any of those lists meet your needs better, though; you can also export Pleco-format vocabulary lists from ChinesePod if you have an account there.

JohnS said:
I have been looking through the forum threads, trying to find some practical advice on how to optimize the settings for the flashcard function for various types of practice. If someone knows where to look for this kind of information, please fill me in.

The default settings are actually pretty well optimized, or should be; the main thing you'd want to change is that Categories option (to pick which lists of words to study vocabulary from). You could also try switching to the "Spaced Repetition" Profile (choose it from the "Profile" menu in the main flashcard configuration screen) if you want a slightly more scientifically rigorous flashcard review method - that uses something called "SRS," which basically means that the software tries to optimize the time interval between repetitions of each card so that you'll review it just often enough for it to stay in memory. (e.g. you review it once, then a day later, then a few days after that, then a few more days after that at longer and longer intervals, but if you get it wrong it gets reset back to one day)

JohnS said:
I am getting very depressed because the reason I wanted pleco was because I hoped that my time spent using this technology would be more effective than with the "paper-pencil-dictionary and stack of flashcards" approach.

Really sorry about that - I hope this will help a little bit, but if you have any more questions please feel free to email me at mikelove@pleco.com.

C

Charles

I have a spaced repetition flashcard test that has the following settings in the Card Selection option:
Day type: Calendar
If the score of a card is, say, 235 points, will it show up again in 2 days or in 3 days? What if the score of the card is 275 points?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Charles said:
I have a spaced repetition flashcard test that has the following settings in the Card Selection option:
Day type: Calendar
If the score of a card is, say, 235 points, will it show up again in 2 days or in 3 days? What if the score of the card is 275 points?

By default, it'll show up again in 2.35 / 2.75 days, i.e. 2 days 8 hours 24 minutes / 2 days 18 hours. If you prefer that it lock to solid days and calculate them based on calendar days (so that, for example, if you review a card at 10pm on Monday and it's set to repeat in 2 days it'll be included in a test at noon on Wednesday rather than waiting until 10pm), go into Card Selection and set "Day type" to "Calendar."

C

Charles

Michael - I have already have the "Day type" set to "Calendar". I just wanted to know, when "Points per day" is set to 100, will a card with 235 points show up in 2 days or 3 days? 235/100 = 2.35. Does the system truncate the 0.35 or round up or round down?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Charles said:
Michael - I have already have the "Day type" set to "Calendar". I just wanted to know, when "Points per day" is set to 100, will a card with 235 points show up in 2 days or 3 days? 235/100 = 2.35. Does the system truncate the 0.35 or round up or round down?

It truncates it, so it would be 2 days in this case.