How about the reformatting process of 21st e-c?

dqian

The current version of 21st of Pleco is not that nice. Just wondering if it is OK with the processing of 21st from its original data? I have an original version of XML file which converted by Youdao (and also a Ruby and a Python script), and I guess some technical details might help if you are encouting with some problems... Of course, it is illegal to directly use the file but for some study and research purpose. I guess to take a little look and discuss the method (only) is not infringement of copyrights.. besides, Pleco has the copyright to process this dictionary data..

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dqian said:
The current version of 21st of Pleco is not that nice. Just wondering if it is OK with the processing of 21st from its original data? I have an original version of XML file which converted by Youdao (and also a Ruby and a Python script), and I guess some technical details might help if you are encouting with some problems... Of course, it is illegal to directly use the file but for some study and research purpose. I guess to take a little look and discuss the method (only) is not infringement of copyrights.. besides, Pleco has the copyright to process this dictionary data..

Thanks, but we've got a pretty solid process for extracting it from the original data files, we just need to do a better job of migrating over the formatting. We're working to improve it, but it's an enormous dictionary, so it takes a while, and the impression we get from a lot of our customers is that they primarily use it as a fallback for English words they can't find in NWP/ABC, so it's tough to make it a priority over other dictionary editing improvements (like supporting ~ replacement in ABC, which is probably our single most-requested dictionary enhancement at the moment).

dqian

mikelove said:
dqian said:

Thanks, but we've got a pretty solid process for extracting it from the original data files, we just need to do a better job of migrating over the formatting. We're working to improve it, but it's an enormous dictionary, so it takes a while, and the impression we get from a lot of our customers is that they primarily use it as a fallback for English words they can't find in NWP/ABC, so it's tough to make it a priority over other dictionary editing improvements (like supporting ~ replacement in ABC, which is probably our single most-requested dictionary enhancement at the moment).

Great! Wait for the new Pleco version of 21st, BTW, although the ABC C-E is powerful, still curious to know if a/some new powerful Chinese - English dicts like 21st been signed recently (of course no need to mention the detailed dictionary name here). :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dqian said:
Great! Wait for the new Pleco version of 21st, BTW, although the ABC C-E is powerful, still curious to know if a/some new powerful Chinese - English dicts like 21st been signed recently (of course no need to mention the detailed dictionary name here). :D

There really haven't been many new ones released lately; our big focus lately has been Chinese-Chinese dictionaries, since we think there are a lot of interesting titles out there and it's very easy to look up words in the definition that you don't recognize by tapping on them.