How do I proceed with 3000 due cards?

Problem:
1) Is there a way to recover the Flash Cards's Score? It says I've never reviewed the card but of course I had a score. I lost it when I didn't back up.
2) Damage Control. How do i approach reconstituting 3000 due cards?
20180311_110737.jpg

What Happened
1) I stupidly moved the SD card without doing a backup procedure to the new phone.
2) When I was able to figure out /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files the SD card was empty, it seems the Old-Phone Pleco reverted to a bare template and overwrote everything.
2.1) I tried putting the SD card back to the old phone back and resetting the phone but i may have just made it overwrite what settings it previously had.
2.2) I was able to find *.pbq file in the main storage but it was a dud, probably the created when I took out the SD card.

Lesson Learned:
1) have a Back up Plan
1.1) If possible i need to see how Flashcard Scores are saved??
1.2) How do I make it just backup without asking me?
2) I need to have an easy to access drive for my Pleco backups.

My Progress yesterday.
20180310_162529.jpg

*chinese people insist that it should be in 5mm grid at Hellotalk they find 10mm too big.

Technical Specs:
Old phone 2016 J7 Prime
New Phone 2017 J7 Pro

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Problem:
1) Not unless you have a backup, unfortunately.
2) One thing you could try would be to temporarily set your score system to 'manual' with a very large increase on a correct answer; that would let you go through the whole 3000-card deck and rapidly assign the cards that you've already learned to a suitably high score/interval by marking them correct. (you could then switch back to Automated and carry on SRSing) If you also wanted to adjust easiness or whatever you could then do a search in Organize for cards that had a score above that threshold and batch adjust their easiness; could also use the option in there to batch add a random amount to each card's interval so that you wouldn't have all of those cards due at the exact same time :)

Lessons:
1.1) They're in your flashcard database, which is stored in /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases. It's a SQLite database and at least in the current flashcard system it's not too hard to figure out how stuff is saved if you open it with a SQLite editor.
1.2) No way to do that within Pleco, but since Android has an open(ish) filesystem it should be easy to set it up to back up with an automated backup utility.

The methodology of what I'm trying to do.
  1. Methodology:
    1. Start from one category at a time. Starting with HSK 1.
      1. I go to Statistics and Compare it to This old score: Roughly 500 cards score > 6,400
      2. In the next day if the cards are lacking
    2. Set the Boosted Scoring System: New test > More Settings > Scoring
      1. Scoring file > Set to Meaning Only (the only file I use)
      2. Scoring System > From Automatic to Manual
        1. Configure Scoring
        2. Increase Score > by
        3. Amount > 100 to 10,000
    3. Then proceed to Manage the amount of words until my score looks like the in the picture above.
      1. Adding Categories when I run out of cards (less than 20 for the day).
      2. When I hit HSK 3, I cut the score amount from by half 10,000 to 5,000
      3. Every additional category is added I half, hopefully I’m back to 100 by the time I’m back to the 12 categories I used to review.
    4. At the end of the Session Save in my Cloud Drive.
      1. Flashcards > Import/Export > Export Cards
      2. Flashcards > Import/Export > Export Database

W

werewitt

Incidentally, is there a way in Pleco to do something like Anki’s batch “postponing”? Eg in batch edit mode something like “spread the due dates of these cards uniformly from +60 to +120 days”. Am thinking of reviewing all of HSK.

Essentially a question inspired by the OP - how to add a few thousands of “sort of known” words to reviews without suppressing genuinely newly added words from appearing for review as soon as they added. Different profiles for the two categories?

I know, it’s silly to ask that Pleco’s flash incorporates Anki - just asking in case I missed the feature. No lectures on SRS implementations required :)

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, you can do that in Batch - it's one of the score transforms, 'randomly increase.'

(something new we've added for 4.0 is the ability to do a test on cards that will be due within the next X days, and have that test give you not a fixed # of cards but rather a fixed % of the cards that were due under that criterion at the start of the day, so you can spread a test out without actually having to change due dates)

W

werewitt

Right, I suppose a combination of absolute and random increases, combined with mental math accounting for various score factors (eg points per day) would do the job.

In Anki’s variant it simply uniformly spreads the due date of cards in the range specified. Not sure what it does with the interval - preserves or increases. I find that variant a tad more user-friendly, but this is probably a habit :). After all it’s a product management question - do you copy features set by the leader or buck the trend.

As an end user tho - @Shun said recently, one has to keep the end goal in mind (and not get hung up on specific tricks)

Thanks.

Last edited:

daal

探花
I'm in a similar situation as the OP, but for different reasons. I have about 2500 cards I would like to study, some of which I know fairly well, others I don't. I like the idea of changing the score to manual to give the cards I know a high score, but my problem is that I don't understand how score translates to time. What I as a user would greatly prefer would be a parameter that I could easily understand, such as "interval time." As it is, I have no idea whether I should set the score to 1000 or 10,000, because I don't understand the way the settings determine when I will see a card next. If I don't want to see the card for another 14 days, what should I set the score to?

pdwalker

状元
One thing prefer to set on my score file is to set the "day type" to hours instead of calendar. That means my cards due during the day tends to get spread out, rather than dumping them all at once. Thus I can have several smaller sessions during the day, or if I wait until the end of the day, a bigger session. (http://iphone.pleco.com/manual/30200/flash.html#scoring - search for "day type")