How to change font on Browse Entries screen?

I searched the online manual and forum for "Browse Entries" (the title of the screen when browsing dictionary entries but couldn't find anything at all.

I would like to change the font size on my Android Galaxy Nexus phone to make the entries readable. As is, I cannot see Chinese characters within the definition portion when browsing. If I select a single entry, then the font sizes for both headword and body are sufficient (and much larger than the browse screen).

I also tried browsing through different setting screens, but didn't find anything that seemed related.

Is it possible to change this? I happen to be looking at a Chinese-Chinese dictionary (MOE).

I'd also like to be able to have the pinyin on the same line as the headword, to save an entire line in the display, if possible?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I searched the online manual and forum for "Browse Entries" (the title of the screen when browsing dictionary entries but couldn't find anything at all.

I would like to change the font size on my Android Galaxy Nexus phone to make the entries readable. As is, I cannot see Chinese characters within the definition portion when browsing. If I select a single entry, then the font sizes for both headword and body are sufficient (and much larger than the browse screen).

I also tried browsing through different setting screens, but didn't find anything that seemed related.

Is it possible to change this? I happen to be looking at a Chinese-Chinese dictionary (MOE).

I'd also like to be able to have the pinyin on the same line as the headword, to save an entire line in the display, if possible?

That screen uses the same settings as the main dictionary, so you can change them using the settings for that - there's no way to configure it separately at the moment.

My observation is that the screen does not use the same settings. The character sizes are much smaller on the "Browse Entries" screen than they are on the dictionary entry screen (portrait mode). In landscape mode, there's a left side with the same small characters, and a right side with larger characters, however. You can see the difference in the attached screen shots. I hope the full size of the upload is available (first time doing this with new forum software).
Small: Screenshot_2013-08-08-20-03-06.png

Large: Screenshot_2013-08-08-20-03-19.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, I mean the same settings as the entry list in the main dictionary, not as the definition screen. Those settings are configured in Settings / Dictionary / Main screen interface / Entry List.

Thanks! I hadn't drilled down far enough. When I didn't see a single option for both portrait and landscape, I didn't bother going into each separately. The main dictionary (if I recall) has a way to set both of them at the same time -- or I'm just imagining it :eek:

Would be nice to add a short paragraph with the title "Browse Entries" to the manual where you could refer to changing font settings. What I mean, is that you probably already have an entry for changing the "Entry List", but perhaps you could add the words (Screen title of "Browse Entries") or something to make it more easily findable.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
To be honest, there are so many settings for list layout that the best bet would probably be to break them down into a general "size" setting which we put out front / make accessible to all and a buried / super-complicated screen for detailed layout that would let you adjust the arrangement / numbers of lines / layout of various parts / etc. Better to come up with something new that everybody can use than to leave it impenetrable and put an explanation in the manual about it.

While I agree, I also believe in doing little "baby steps" when the downside "risk" or amount of effort is really small.

Personally, I think a better target/goal would be to develop a web based settings "app" (with preview) that one could use to do all settings, and then have it generate a settings file that could be imported. Of course, that would also mean the ability to export a settings file/database as well. :) Good thing about that would be that if you documented a settings file, someone else could do the web app :)

That could also be done in steps/stages.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
While I agree, I also believe in doing little "baby steps" when the downside "risk" or amount of effort is really small.

Personally, I think a better target/goal would be to develop a web based settings "app" (with preview) that one could use to do all settings, and then have it generate a settings file that could be imported. Of course, that would also mean the ability to export a settings file/database as well. :) Good thing about that would be that if you documented a settings file, someone else could do the web app :)

That could also be done in steps/stages.

Honestly I'm feeling like we may need to do a bigger purge here - remove say 80% of the settings from our main app (while promising to bring back any whose removal elicits large numbers of complaints) but then continue offering a maintenance version of the old app for people who are unhappy with that change. We have a strong incentive to do some sort of fork anyway - on iOS because of our dropping support for iOS 4/5 and (probably early next year) 6 and on Android because of our dropping support for Android 2/3 - and once we're doing such a fork anyway we might as well also avail ourselves of a convenient opportunity to clean house.

I don't think we're obligated to keep little-used options around indefinitely, and we're certainly not obligated to do that if we also offer a way to get back the old app with the missing options - it's not unreasonable to force people to choose between old features and new ones when the removal of the former helps to make possible the latter.