How to change the default dictionary for the flash cards?

Troll

你们好!
I created my FlashCards. How can I change the default translation dictionary "PLC" (during testing)?
I've already put my dictionary first in the list at the "Settings" => "Manage Dicts", but nothing changed. I also know that during testing with Flash Cards, Pleco have a button - "Card info" => "Change dictionary", I changed it, but when I return to the Test menu, my dictionary changing to default. How can I install my dictionary to translate Flash Cards?. Who can help?
Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: How to change the default dictionary for the flash cards

Troll said:
I've already put my dictionary first in the list at the "Settings" => "Manage Dicts", but nothing changed. I also know that during testing with Flash Cards, Pleco have a button - "Card info" => "Change dictionary", I changed it, but when I return to the Test menu, my dictionary changing to default. How can I install my dictionary to translate Flash Cards?. Who can help?

Couple of ways:

1) To permanently change the dictionary used, go to "Search Cards," search for "All cards," tap on the "Edit" button, "Batch," choose your new dictionary under "Remap to dictionary," then tap "Remap now." This will have to be done again if you create new flashcards from PLC entries, though - we don't offer an option to tap on the + button while viewing an entry in one dictionary and automatically create the flashcard from a different one, since it's not always 100% clear which entry in one dictionary maps to which entry in another (pinyin / traditional character versions can vary slightly, plus some dictionaries have different approaches to variant meanings of the same character).

2) To use a different dictionary during the test while keeping the cards linked to their original dictionaries, go into Flashcard Testing / More Settings / Display and turn on "Remap cards to dicts." (switch it to "yes" and select your dictionaries and their priority order under "dicts")

I happen to have exactly the same difficulty even after doing everything that is suggested above.
There used to be a time when, if not satisfied with a dictionary entry, I could change the definition of the Chinese word in a given flashcard. Now, when this happens, I still do Card Info > Change Dictionary / Entry > change dictionary and Set New Entry > Back, and then nothing happens (whereas before, the new entry would appear right away), neither on the spot nor on the next occurrence of the word in a future test. I don't know what has happened in between the "used to be a time" and now, but it makes it difficult to use flashcards that have incomplete and sometimes remotely exact meanings.
I am truly sorry about this, I love the app and all the bells and whistles, and I learned to master the learning curve, but now I am at a loss regarding the flashcards, I even wonder if the database could have become corrupted. Thanks very much in advance for your help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephshanghai said:
I happen to have exactly the same difficulty even after doing everything that is suggested above.
There used to be a time when, if not satisfied with a dictionary entry, I could change the definition of the Chinese word in a given flashcard. Now, when this happens, I still do Card Info > Change Dictionary / Entry > change dictionary and Set New Entry > Back, and then nothing happens (whereas before, the new entry would appear right away), neither on the spot nor on the next occurrence of the word in a future test. I don't know what has happened in between the "used to be a time" and now, but it makes it difficult to use flashcards that have incomplete and sometimes remotely exact meanings.
I am truly sorry about this, I love the app and all the bells and whistles, and I learned to master the learning curve, but now I am at a loss regarding the flashcards, I even wonder if the database could have become corrupted. Thanks very much in advance for your help.

That does sound like it might be a database corruption issue, but we've never heard of that happening on iOS - most database corruption relates to a storage volume becoming temporarily unavailable, and since on iOS all of the storage is built-in that virtually never happens. (and anyway with the SQLite engine we use it's pretty unlikely to happen regardless)

Couple of ideas:

1) Check that "Remap cards to dicts" in Flashcard Testing / Display is turned off.
2) Compact your database in Settings / General / Maintenance.
3) Backup and Restore your database.

If none of those work, PM me your database backup file and we'll take a look at it here and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Thanks so much, i worked!
I did the three steps in a row. Of course I suspect the first two are relevant in solving the problem, the thing is I now have a big grin on my face :D
Thanks again.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephshanghai said:
Thanks so much, i worked!
I did the three steps in a row. Of course I suspect the first two are relevant in solving the problem, the thing is I now have a big grin on my face :D
Thanks again.

No problem! Sorry about that.