How to find a hotel in Shanghai (pudong)

grabolus

举人
Hi everybody,

maybe someone can give me a hint on how to find a hotel in shanghai. I tried "hrs" but they can not show a map with the locations of the hotels which makes selecting one very difficult. Are there some online booking services that you could recommend?

Thanks you very much.

If you want to stay at a great place, the 88 XinTianDi is where I sent my friends. Price will be around 300 euro/night, but the suite is approx. 150 sq m and the location is ideal for someone visiting Shanghai for a few days.

For a reasonable fee, I think the Ramada on Nanjing Rd is by far the best value. Much better than any Ramada property I've seen in North America. Great location. New property.

Otherwise, punch the addresses into ditu.google.com if you need to find out where someplace is at... but it would be difficult to go wrong with the places above.

Best-

Ryan Erwin
www.ryanerwin.com

Erguotou!

Hi,
what price range are you looking for?
i think, 300EUR are quiete a lot for a room in china (not only, but especially there..)

greetings
Tobias

grabolus

举人
Hi,

it should be nice and low budget. In the meanwhile I found that it is possible to search with ctrip.com, elong.com and ditu.google.com found even small hotels.
It looks like motel 168 is nice and jin jiang hotel.
What I still miss is a nice page where I can search hotels by distance from a given address. I am not sure if mapquest or maps.baidu.com could help me more...

Thank you for your help...

Erguotou!

ok, I don't know motel 168 or jin jiang either..
Furthermore, I would also have recommended elong.com in combination with ditu.google and i don't know sth. with the distance-search-feature - so now big help at all..
and the nice budget place i know are all puxi..
are you going for business or travel - if not for business, I don't know a good reason to stay in pudong..
anyway, good luck! ;-)

chao-ren

进士
If you are looking for hotel rooms in the Motel 168 (economical) price range, there is another hotel chain you should try called GreenTree Inn. They have a website where you can book hotel rooms via the Internet. Looks like they have 2 branches situated in Pudong. http://www.greentree.com.cn

From personal experience this branch of hotel gives better service, or higher quality rooms than the Motel 168 chain (at the same price range).

good luck!

grabolus

举人
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Green Tree Inn nearly was my favourite, just behind motel168.
Now some local people found a nice hotel in jing an district of shanghai for me that doesn't belong to a chain but stil has 3 stars and costs about 200 yuan.
One could find it on the page www.17u.cn, which is a pure chinese page. But they have lots of hotels listed and lots of customers comments for each hotel. Also this page didn't have a "map" functionality, so I always used ditu.google.com.

Thanks.

renovator

榜眼
Just make sure if your room is booked by a local that they give your name and address for reservation as new restrictions have been recently applied and some hotels, especially smaller hotels can no longer accept foreign guests. You would hate to arrive to find out the hotel can not accomodate you. I have heard that even 168 only accepts foreign guests at some of their hotel locations.

kimlee

renovator said:
Luxury San Diego Hotels

Just make sure if your room is booked by a local that they give your name and address for reservation as new restrictions have been recently applied and some hotels, especially smaller hotels can no longer accept foreign guests. You would hate to arrive to find out the hotel can not accomodate you. I have heard that even 168 only accepts foreign guests at some of their hotel locations.

Yes, I found out first hand that they only accept foreign guests at this hotel. The hard way- UGHHHh!

grabolus said:
Hi,

it should be nice and low budget. In the meanwhile I found that it is possible to search with ctrip.com, elong.com and ditu.google.com found even small hotels.
It looks like motel 168 is nice and jin jiang hotel.
What I still miss is a nice page where I can search hotels by distance from a given address. I am not sure if mapquest or maps.baidu.com could help me more...

Thank you for your help...

I have found the Motel 168 to be a reasonable option. It is a chain operation, and while there are variations from place to place, you can usually be assured a moderate price and clean room.

As to taking foreigners or not, that is hit and miss. Sometimes if you speak good enough Chinese you can talk your way into a room. Sometimes I think "we don't take foreigners" is an excuse for "I don't want to deal with foreigners." Always best to ask in advance.
Elong.com is a good resource as well. I use it a lot when in China.
Good luck and enjoy Shanghai.