How to get new cards to appear in reviews?

larrybills

举人
My plan is to just dump any new vocab in a single folder and let the system teach me new cards daily.

I *thought* that I could just add cards and then limit new cards to 10 per day while I do my reviews.

However, no new cards are coming up.

Any advice? Is there a better way to handle this?

I'm trying to keep my process simple but apparently I'm not doing something right.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Shun

状元
Hi Larry,

can I ask back, as you're adding cards to the tested category, are you staying inside a test session, or are you restarting the test every day? If you're doing the former, it would be a clear case, as Pleco appears to generate its list of cards to test at the beginning of a test, not during it. So you would have to end the test and restart it each day in order to add new cards to the testing pool.

If you are already stopping and re-starting your tests daily (with a card filter), then I'd have to think harder.

Hope this helps, you're welcome,

Shun

larrybills

举人
Thanks @Shun, I appreciate your help here. I am resetting the test each day. I think what I had to do was to select 'study new cards first'.

So that's good that the new cards are getting added in. However, they sort of 'use up' my review points so I'm essentially using my review sessions only on the new cards.

I used to multiple folders to handle new cards but that was getting cumbersome. I am essentially trying to mimic the behavior of the old Memrise system where you would automatically study new cards and do your reviews of previously learned cards. I haven't found Pleco to be that straightforward for this however.

May I ask generally, what is your approach to adding new cards to study?

Shun

状元
Hi Larry,

you're welcome. I have one category to which I regularly add useful words I encounter. I do some housekeeping with that category: Whenever the number of new cards in that category reaches about 30 to 50 cards, I move them to a new numbered subcategory inside that category. That way, when I study those cards, I always have them together, and I can be sure I can repeat the same set of cards at a later date.

A different case, of course, was when I studied words from a textbook. There, I had categories of 50-70 words, each category for one lesson, with subcategories of about 25 words each, for even more fine-grained control of which words I'd like to study or repeat.

As you can see, I like to use Pleco's flashcard system in a similar way to physical cards. I'd rather not have Pleco automatically select cards to learn from a larger pool, since in my case that would be too large a pool of cards to study at a time, often with too long time intervals in between. I use Random card selection just to randomize their order.

It may be nice to be able to automate category splitting, where Pleco would allow you to add cards to a large category, and any new cards saved to that category would go into fixed-size subcategories that are created automatically as needed. So far, I haven't read about such a feature, though, and I haven't asked Mike about it.

Cheers, Shun