How to learn in batches with SRS?

Good job Kevinstadler!

I generally feel the difference between Barely remembered / remembered / perfectly remembered is not that big.
But I didn't spend time to fine-tune it. T
he things are changed is more like max number of cards per day, repeat incorrect cards after test, category selection...

Barely remembered would make my score go from 6000 to 11000
Remembered would make 6000 go to 13000
Perfectly remembered would make 6000 go to 16000
But in the end, it's all more or less x2 for all...

I feel that it would be nice to have a kind of Wizard in the pleco app that would set up the SRS for you depending on your needs. Pleco is amazingly configurable but most people don't want to go and change their settings in fear it will break everything (or they just don't really understand what are the implications of the changes).

I generally feel the difference between Barely remembered / remembered / perfectly remembered is not that big.
But I didn't spend time to fine-tune it. T
he things are changed is more like max number of cards per day, repeat incorrect cards after test, category selection...

Barely remembered would make my score go from 6000 to 11000
Remembered would make 6000 go to 13000
Perfectly remembered would make 6000 go to 16000
But in the end, it's all more or less x2 for all...
EDIT: I have since realised that that is indeed approximately Pleco's default behaviour: the relative score increases after barely remembering, remembering and perfectly remembering a card are 95, 100 and 110% respectively, i.e. a near 2-fold increase in all cases. (Your slightly different observed increases of 83, 117 and 167% are probably because of the long-term 'easiness' of the cards you were looking at, which offset the score updates ever so slightly.)

I guess the idea of the roughly 2-fold increase of the score is that, if you remembered a card since its last review (a timespan solely determined by the card's score), that the time until the next review should be roughly twice as long either way. If you want the barely and perfectly remembered options to have a bigger impact on the next scheduled review, you could set the "Correct scale score increase %" to more extreme values, e.g. for Quality 4: 80% and Quality 6: 120%.

I feel that it would be nice to have a kind of Wizard in the pleco app that would set up the SRS for you depending on your needs. Pleco is amazingly configurable but most people don't want to go and change their settings in fear it will break everything (or they just don't really understand what are the implications of the changes).
I agree with the risk of messing up the 'Tweak parameters' menu, as long as the system seems to work for you there's really no reason to start changing any of the values in there. The only two values that I dared to change were the 'incorrect score decrease %' which by default don't actually distinguish between the three different shades of 'incorrect' and simply reset the scores back to the minimum (much like the original Leitner flashcard box system).

I am already at the level where I can write a character and know its pinyin/meaning after seeing it in Pleco once or twice, then repeating after a day, then after three days, seven days, then two weeks. Do you think such a rhythm is practicable with the current SRS, or would you recommend to use Random subject selection and a manually enforced schedule, with Card filters, for that? The tests I usually alternate between are Show Definition or Show Characters in the Self-graded test type.
I understand wanting to have really fine-grained control over the testing regime, but in the end I didn't feel like all the constant manual changing settings/categories around was really worth the hassle, when SRS gives you something very close to it (and is actually more adaptive, like when some of the cards in a set that you started learning at the same time simply won't go into your head, while other ones you can do in your sleep). I actually find myself (ab)using the 'Prompt for recall quality' option in order to get more fine-grained conscious and intentional control over my review schedule: when I sway between two responses (say perfectly remembered vs. remembered) I often look at the time until the next review that would result from my choice, and then pick whichever seems more appropriate to me. If you're on Android make sure you enable 'Show SRS intervals' and select one of the button layouts with a slash in it, maybe it will suit your needs!

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm on iOS; I will try SRS again using your system, just without the score-dependent switching of test types.