How to quickly add brackets to Tradional characters

I have over 7000 vocabulary words I would like to add for flashcard testing in an excel spreadsheet. The only thing is the tradional characters arent bracketed. I really don't want to have to do this manually. Is there a quick way to add the brackets so I can import the list?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
narcolepticd said:
I have over 7000 vocabulary words I would like to add for flashcard testing in an excel spreadsheet. The only thing is the tradional characters arent bracketed. I really don't want to have to do this manually. Is there a quick way to add the brackets so I can import the list?

Sure; you have simplified and traditional in the first two columns now, right? If so, then insert a new third column and paste the following formula into the first cell:

Code:
=A1&"["&B1&"]"

Copy-and-paste that into all the other cells in that column (select them all and paste). Use Edit / Copy Special to copy the completed formula (plus the adjacent Pinyin and definition columns, if you have them) into a text file, save it (make sure you configure it to save in Unicode in the save box), and import it into Pleco.