Images in Flashcards

neobarney

Hi,

One feature I've been waiting for a long time would be the ability to associAte pictures to Flashcards.
For me while remembering words a Chinese a picture is far more efficient than the english translation.
Therefore I often switch to google image to have a look when I'm not sure of the exact meaning of an object.

Would be super great if next version of pleco was providing a function to either :
- associate to the flashcard an image from the iPhone image library
- run a batch function that would automatically linn to google image and then let the user to choose which image is the correct one

As far as I know this function is existing in Anki, and it would be super great to have it in pleco as well!!!

Cheers,

Mickael

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
neobarney said:
Would be super great if next version of pleco was providing a function to either :
- associate to the flashcard an image from the iPhone image library
- run a batch function that would automatically linn to google image and then let the user to choose which image is the correct one

That's high on the priority list for 2.3 - the trickiest thing about it is working out a way to store all of those images that allows for them to be easily imported / exported / backed up. Though the Google Image aspect to that is an interesting twist - we've had a few other requests for Google Image support but I don't know of any of them were flashcard-specific.

neobarney

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer
Rhat's great news. I'm very eager to use this feature.
Do you have any idea about the release date for the next version?

Looks like Pleco is really getting a huge advance on all other competitors :)

kun4

举人
A small question:
What happens to images in flashcards if you run pleco on two devices with different screen resolutions and dpi, e.g. a iphone and an ipad/tablet?
Are the images scaled according to screen size; according to screen dpi; or just displayed as is?

Awaiting 2.3 with bated breath.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
kun4 said:
A small question:
What happens to images in flashcards if you run pleco on two devices with different screen resolutions and dpi, e.g. a iphone and an ipad/tablet?
Are the images scaled according to screen size; according to screen dpi; or just displayed as is?

Awaiting 2.3 with bated breath.

Still haven't decided on that - there's a strong enough chance that Apple will launch a new iPhone in September with a new screen resolution that we need to support that we've tried to hold off on as much image-related stuff as we can until then. But most likely we'll display the image at a fixed size in the flashcard interface (using however much resolution there is) and then offer the option to tap on it for a full-screen pinch-zoomable version.

DavidMars

进士
I don't see any mention of adding images in the current iOS manual section on Flashcards. Am I missing something in the manual? Or is this still pending (maybe 4.0)? Or has it been dropped? I'm working on Food flashcards, and I think it would be helpful, ideally with the Google Images link. Thanks, David

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually implemented in current builds of 4.0 :)

But we're no longer planning to support Google Image search because that along with everything else from Google was blocked in China in 2014.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hope to give a detailed status update on that in late June, after we've finished evaluating the first iOS 12 beta - at this point a substantial part of the remaining work on 4.0 depends on how much new stuff Apple throws at us in iOS 12 (in particular the rumored 'Marzipan' project to let iOS apps run on Mac), so while I have a pretty clear idea of how much more work is left on flashcards, I'd rather not share anything until the entire 4.0 picture is filled in.

sima

On a related request, would it be possible to implement an image input section on the user dictionary form? I've built up a database of a few thousand 草書 characters on anki as there's no way to currently use pleco as a calligraphy dictionary. Im guessing the demand for a calligraphy dictionary in pleco is very very low; would it be possible to do it myself manually through putting image into a user dictionary?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Should be possible as user dictionaries in 4.0 are basically just testing-less flashcard databases - not something we’re specifically adding but it don’t see why it won’t work anyway since it does work for flashcards.

TVMIX

Outlier master class shoes a customized flash card with a picture of the ancient form. This really helps me learn some characters. It is also the reason I paid to have flash card added to my Pleco. What am I missing? I tried copying and pasting from .pdf, word and simply trying to cut and paste the image. Can you assist me in duplicating what I see below in the attached image?
FCCE14A6-38B6-44E2-BB7E-1BEB62ACBCBA.jpeg

TVMIX

Outlier master class shoes a customized flash card with a picture of the ancient form. This really helps me learn some characters. It is also the reason I paid to have flash card added to my Pleco. What am I missing? I tried copying and pasting from .pdf, word and simply trying to cut and paste the image. Can you assist me in duplicating what I see below in the attached image?View attachment 3044
*shows (not “shoes”)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, do you have Outlier’s Chinese dictionary in Pleco on your device? You’d need that to create flashcards for it in our app - this flashcard is fro Outlier’s dictionary.

If you do have that dictionary, go into Settings / Manage Dictionaries, tap Reorder, and drag it to the top, then search for a character you want to create a flashcard from and tap on the + button.

If you don’t have it and don’t want to buy it and would like a refund for your flashcard purchase, contact us with the “Registration ID” from the Pleco “Registration” screen on your device.

TVMIX

Sorry, do you have Outlier’s Chinese dictionary in Pleco on your device? You’d need that to create flashcards for it in our app - this flashcard is fro Outlier’s dictionary.

If you do have that dictionary, go into Settings / Manage Dictionaries, tap Reorder, and drag it to the top, then search for a character you want to create a flashcard from and tap on the + button.

If you don’t have it and don’t want to buy it and would like a refund for your flashcard purchase, contact us with the “Registration ID” from the Pleco “Registration” screen on your device.
I went ahead and bought the dictionary. Thanks for the direction. One more thing.... Can I reset the Outlier Master Class flashcards to "Learn" them?. It seems to thrust me into testing (before I get a chance to learn them)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We don’t currently do an automatic “learn” to “review” mode change, but if you’d like to ”learn” them, just Set “test type” to “review only” and run through them a few times with that.

(we have added support for much more complicated flashcard stage progressions in 4.0, so it’ll certainly be possible to do that once that’s released)

Is there any news as to bringing image search & selection to Flashcards? Would be so useful in creating image based flashcards (FluentForever method).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've already added support for inserting / displaying images in flashcards for 4.0, including the ability to reference image files in imports; they're also brought in when you import an Anki database.

Image search will likely have to wait for a later release, since pretty much any feature like that (something that can be layered on later without any changes to the core flashcard system) has been held back just so we can get the main update out some time in the next eternity :)