Importing / Migrating a Largish Deck

Apologies if I am asking too simple a question... but I am thinking of migrating from Anki to Pleco. I would move a 2,000 card deck, which I believe I have figured out how to do.

My question is... Does anybody have any suggestions about doing this? I was thinking I could simply bite the bullet and do it in one full swoop. I would simply begin anew with spaced repetition on the deck. I could set the new card limit at 200 or something (more than I am likely to add in a day) and over the course of a month or so I would probably have added all the cards into the spaced repetition system.

What do you think? What surprises lie in store for me? Are there adjustments I need to make for an already seasoned deck?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you can live with Anki for a little while longer, we're actually working on a big new update that will allow fairly seamless import of Anki decks into Pleco, including their score/spacing information. (I can't give a good estimate on how long that 'little while' will be, only that we're hard at work on it + it's working great in test builds)

But your suggested approach should basically work; you might want to go farther than simply adding them to the spaced repetition system and go into the 'change card' tab (triangle icon) and manually boost the scores of cards that you already know well. Another helpful option might be to set the "initial correct score" in Scoring / Tweak Parameters to something very high, so that on your first run through the cards that you know well will immediately be promoted to very long intervals.

Mikelove,
Thank you! I would love to wait for your update, but probably won't... If you need a beta tester, you can use me. I won't be any worse off for trying it!

I have two follow up questions
  1. What is a reasonable adjustment to the "initial correct score"? The Pleco default is 200 / 400 / 600, if I see this correctly.
  2. Pleco doesn't have a "maximum interval"--I'm guessing you would say that violates the spirit of spaced repetition. I'm curious whether the default settings / methodology converge in some way on a "maximum interval" in practice and if so what that might be? I realize I haven't asked that in quite the right way and that it might be an impossible question, but any thoughts on the matter would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
What is a reasonable adjustment to the "initial correct score"? The Pleco default is 200 / 400 / 600, if I see this correctly.

Whatever you consider a good mature card interval in Anki times 100, basically. Maybe 3000?

Pleco doesn't have a "maximum interval"--I'm guessing you would say that violates the spirit of spaced repetition.

No, it's just an internal limit and not something we promise to keep constant between versions. At the moment I think it's something like 5 years.