Incorrect, but almost remembered

Geo Chu

Sometimes I just happen to forget a card briefly and hit 3 "almost remembered".
However, when I do that, the card score goes back to 100.
In fact, I get the same score as if I hit 1 or 2. Does this mean the card basically resets the same?
I don't want it to reset fully because I "almost" remembered it.

If I hit 4, the card score goes goes up. Seems to be a HUGE different in score between 3 and 4...is this suppose to be the case?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes - the score resets to 100 regardless of whether you pick 1, 2, or 3, those just affect how quickly the score will increase again afterwords. The score difference is dramatic but the "difficulty rating" (which determines those increases) is pretty close between 3 and 4.

So pick "almost remembered" if you want to see the card again very soon to help firm up your memory, and pick "barely remembered" if you feel pretty confident about the card and are OK with waiting a few days to see it again.

Cameroon

探花
Hi, is there a way to correct this behaviour via settings?

When I discovered this feature (card score resetting to 100 whichever 'wrong' level you choose) at first I thought that was a bug of new version and reverted back to 3.2.86 from 3.2.90, occasionally deleting my user dictionary with all the corrections I've made in about a year's usage (

So good I had a (rather old though) backup.

Now I know that's the intentional, hard-coded option.

Please instruct me how to bypass this. I set my flashcards so that first I train 'recognizing' hanzi, audio, and vice versa. When a card reaches a good score level, I start to train writing (hanzi, pinyin) which is a harder task so I often choose wrong answers - and those cards fall back to 100 points, in fact becoming new cards again.

So I have to re-study the recognition step, which is already a redundant stage.

Instead, I'd like to repeat writing routine which is only available for the cards with higher score levels.

How not to totally dis-qualify the 'lapsed' (as Anki calls them) cards? Some seasoned punishment shall be applied that's for sure, but not this fall from grace as it is now )

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, you can set 'incorrect score decrease %' in Scoring / Tweak Parameters to whatever % change you would like it to apply. (the default 0 sets it to the minimum score, which by default is 100)

Cameroon

探花
Yes, you can set 'incorrect score decrease %' in Scoring / Tweak Parameters to whatever % change you would like it to apply. (the default 0 sets it to the minimum score, which by default is 100)
Thanks! Pleco is so perfectly designed it starts to be boring (yawns)
But seriously, I found the solution in switching to manual scoring - and your method is way better, I already missed those self graded buttons (n/a in Manual mode)