Interest in a desktop preview version?

feilipu14

Dear Mike,

As you have seen in my post: "UMPC and Plecodict" http://www.plecoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1209&p=7366#p7366 I am very interested in the concept of UMPC.
This device is in my view a very successful combination between the laptop, Pocket PC (Windows or Palm) and tablet PC. Neither too small nor too large (or too heavy !, It can be easily put on one's lap watching television or in bed. In short, you can really take it everywhere. A tactile screen touch (much larger than a pocket PC's) which should greatly facilitate the recognition of Chinese characters.
I would buy the ASUS R2E-BH035C or Samsung Q1, but they are still quite expensive! I will still wait a while. Anyway, my Tungsten E2 is now running very well.
However before buying one of these devices I would like to be sure that I can install over a Plecodict version that would be suited to UMPCs.
It would be very nice if you could tell us what are the UMPC that should be best suited to Pleco, the approximate price of this version etc.

PS - Think of the poor French who have the greatest difficulty in using and especially understanding your beautiful language ! :oops: :wink:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The pricing of our eventual desktop version should be comparable to the PDA one, but unfortunately as I said before we won't be able to offer very large discounts to current customers since it'd be a separate / independent "copy" of Pleco for royalty purposes. As far as which UMPC would work best, we really have no idea about that sort of thing yet, in general since Pleco's been optimized to run quickly even on 2003-vintage ARM processors any UMPC should have more than enough processing power, but as far as screen size / orientation / keyboard usage / etc I really can't say yet. Make sure to get a model with a touchscreen, though, we already have a handwriting recognizer license for desktop Windows and we're definitely planning to use it.

pravit

秀才
I am getting a tablet laptop soon and definitely interested in a desktop version of PlecoDict! Any idea when it would come out?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not till the end of the year at least for a "real" desktop version, though the preview we're talking about (the timing of which is now for various reasons increasingly dependent on the status of Apple's soon-to-be-released iPhone SDK) would hopefully be out within a couple of months after 2.0 is done.

I'm very interested in a desktop version. Have been using the pocket pc version now for over a year, but while studying chinese I often use the PC.

Currently I use PlecoDict on my pc already, but only by connecting my cellphone and remote control it. It works fine actually, but I don't really want my cellphone to be connected all the time.

So put me on the list!

hgtjoa

Yes!! I am hoping this means we can make characters bigger as well as reducing the battery drain on the Palm Pilot.

daniu

榜眼
mikelove said:
Not till the end of the year at least for a "real" desktop version, though the preview we're talking about (the timing of which is now for various reasons increasingly dependent on the status of Apple's soon-to-be-released iPhone SDK) would hopefully be out within a couple of months after 2.0 is done.

Hi!

That is exactly why I think for many people it is not a benefit that Apples overpriced high tech graphic toy now supports all sorts of Software.

I am happy for Mike if he can make more money through Iphone (because I strongly think he deserves it for the good program and the magnificient support through this forum) but I need to say that it is a disadvantage for all people who do not need the newest gadgets ... Of course this step is understandable and I guess nobody would do anything else ...

best regards
Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually, since the lack of a means to release a beta version means we have absolutely no hope of getting the still-technically-not-committed-to iPhone port out before the Olympics, we might still do this quickie desktop preview version before starting work on it; it would only be a few extra weeks of work, really. Not sure about that yet, have to see how the rest of the iPhone picture plays out and how smooth 2.0.0 is (and hence how urgent the need is for a 2.0.1/2.0.2/etc).