iPhone Demo Video

cpfeiffer

I have been looking forward to the iphone release for a while now. :) Is Christmas still a possible timeline? It would make a great gift to self. :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sure, just depends on Apple's only-going-to-say-nice-things-about-them-until-they-give-us-a-hard-time approval folks.

deanhsu

Ok, reading between the lines. I assume the app has been submitted and Apple is holding up the release of the app. It will help if you can just give us an update on the status. =)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's not quite correct, but I don't have any more information for you at the moment unfortunately.

coljac

Mike,

Are you going to blast out an email when the app is finally approved by (the gerbils and random-number generators at) Apple?

Hi Mike,

it might help with the "pricing question" and in app purpose for you to look at Olivetree.com's Biblereader. They have worked out somehow with apple to allow users to seemlessly update their accounts and previously purchased ebooks from other mobile platforms - palm/windows mobile - to the iPhone. I spent about $400 dollars on books at their website while running the app on my treo and when i switched to the iPhone version i was able to download those books from their server for free. I hope that if you have to dialogue with Apple about this that you can use them as a reference for precedent.

Thanks for making the best Chinese dictionary available on the best smartphone.

I know your doing your best to keep all of your customers satisfied and that you have spent many many hours in the transition to this platform. I hope that when previous Pleco customers leave wonderful reviews as to a seemless transition/update process that many more people will buy this great product!

Chris

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well we're certainly hoping we'll get a platform-switching system past Apple, but they seem to have absolutely no respect for precedent - people will have version 1.0 of an app sail through and a bug-fix version 1.0.1 without any significant UI changes be held up because it landed in the hands of a different reviewer who didn't like something the reviewer who reviewed version 1.0 was OK with. Post-rejection appeals pointing out that such-and-such other app does the exact same thing seem to mostly fall on deaf ears.

cpfeiffer

Just know your community will support the app the best we can. I know a lot of students and professionals in Beijing are looking forward to its release. It has taken over at Tsinghua, BLCU, ... I run a game company out of Beijing and also eagerly await the iphone release. When I was in the states, I was doing games published on the Xbox360 and PS3. I completely get the submission blues...

We all hope its close - probably not more than you and your dev team though. :) Being in the home stretch for months is rough.

--Chris

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well we hope it is too. Personally I just don't get the lack of some sort of sideloading support (beyond Ad Hoc) - the ease-of-use benefits of AppStore would still result in most developers listing in there, and Apple still getting tithed their 30%, but it'd give Apple leeway to be somewhat stricter about app approvals (higher standards w.r.t. stability / usefulness / lack of duplication / etc), and it'd allow developers to release and update apps as soon as they're ready without that darned multi-week lag. So the tech-savvy people who are champing at the bit for a piece of software can get it a few weeks before everyone else, and get bug fixes as soon as they're ready, while less tech-savvy users can wait for the easy-to-install Apple-approved version.

ruisi1

Wow Mike, Pleco for iPhone is awesome. No glitches whatsoever... and I was very pleased to discover you kept your commitment to your existing fan base by ensuring that the products we bought for other operating systems were transferable. EXCELLENT JOB! Once I post this, I will go on to iTunes to give the product the 5 stars it deserves.

Magnus

Magnus said:
What a teaser!
I certainly hope that we all can have this before christmas this year.

AND WE COULD!

Thanks Mike!
I am in Love with it already!

圣诞节 spirit all the way!

Bye bye windows-mobile. I will not miss it a bit.

-- magnus

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ruisi - thanks! There actually are a few glitches (Zhuyin is completely broken, rather embarrassing actually) but hardly anybody seems to have noticed them yet and we're already preparing a bug-fix update.

Magnus - Thanks! Nice how the Mike and Love lined up so neatly in that post :) And I'm certainly very glad Apple got it approved before Christmas, particularly since they seem to go on break for about a week around then and if it weren't approved people might not be able to get it until 2010.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! I'm really overwhelmed by how quickly we've gotten so many 5-star reviews - there are bound to be a few cantankerous 1-star ones at some point, but the average should stay pretty high even then :)