iPod Touch to iPhone 4

meng

秀才
I've been using Pleco for quite a while, and this lil dictionary has ended up steering my mobile phone purchases like crazy! I bought a Palm Pre after using a Palm Treo for 3 years incorrectly assuming Pleco would show up on the Pre. Instead it moved to iPod Touch / iPhone. So I bought an iPod Touch thinking switching carriers would be too much of a hassle, and then promptly bought Pleco. Well I just bought an iPhone figuring the convenience of only having to carry one gadget would be worth it.

Long story short, even though I know I've seen the answer to this question somewhere in posts or support pages, I need to ask again: can I take Pleco off my iPod Touch and put it onto my iPhone instead without having to buy it all over again?

meng

秀才
Forgot to say thanks for what I consider to be the best Chinese language learning assistant.

Also don't know if it's too late but count me in as one of the people who doesn't want to see the list (典/果) feature axed. Just saw part of a post concerning that. If I understood it correctly I really hope it doesn't get taken out. Seeing "what's next" on this list was a huge asset when building my initial vocal skills. It's much easier to learn multiple related terms using the same beginning character once you're already focused on said character.

laodie

you can have Pleco on both your iPhone and iPod Touch. If you bought Pleco for the iPod, rather than transferring it from the Palm, simply Sync your iPhone to the same iTunes account as the iPod and off you go.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Since you originally purchased on Palm OS, you can't have it on both, but you can certainly move it from one device to the other. On your old iPod, go into Pleco's "Settings" tab, tap on the button under "Registration," and tap "Clear Registration Data." Then, on your new iPhone, make sure you're running the latest version of Pleco (2.1.1) by opening up the App Store "Updates" tab, then open up Pleco, go into the Settings tab, tap on "Enter Registration ID," and enter the ID that you were given when you originally transferred your license over to iPod Touch - if you've lost that ID, you can retrieve it through the "My Orders" page on our website.

And thanks - it's not too late on 典/果, actually just in general we're shying back a bit from changing the main dictionary interface in 2.2 aside from making it more customizable (though there should be a more significant redesign on iPad); the document reader/ flashcards need more help, and there are some more low-level UI improvements like adding support for arbitrary text selection that we also need to make a priority.

sfrrr

状元
meng said:
Also don't know if it's too late but count me in as one of the people who doesn't want to see the list (典/果) feature axed. Just saw part of a post concerning that. If I understood it correctly I really hope it doesn't get taken out. Seeing "what's next" on this list was a huge asset when building my initial vocal skills. It's much easier to learn multiple related terms using the same beginning character once you're already focused on said character.

I agree completely. Without that toggle, pleco would be awkward to use.

meng

秀才
I dont like always starting a whole new post; I hope this gets seen.
So after buying my iPhone4 the Apple dudes told me to just download Pleco from the same iTunes account.
I did that and then went into Pleco and checked (updates I think) and it installed all of my previously purchased add-ons.
Wasn't expecting it to be so simple but really glad it was, so thanks.

Next question:
I really liked Pleco on my old Palm Zire (32?) and think that was the overall best setup/layout.
I worked with the iPod touch I mentioned in my last post to get the layout just like on Palm.
Now I need to re-do it again for my iPhone.
Any tips on how to (simply?) get it to most resemble the layout on palm?
The settings are really really customizable which is good and bad -- bad right now because I need Pleco for class tomorrow, heh.