Last-minute beta: new TTS voices and ABC Cantonese

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks. (need to add an option for those for Cantonese examples now that we have some with readings)

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 10.53.24 AM.png

Bound form character links aren't working for me in ABY on Android.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're probably just going to delete those entries for now, actually - they muck things up with the popup reader to an annoying degree.

ABY:
佢細路嗰陣讀過㩧㩧齋
keoi5 sai3 lou6 go2 zan6 duk6 gwo3 bok1 bok1 zaa1i
When he was a young boy he studied at a traditional private school

㩧㩧齋
TTS: Apple Cantonese female reads it correctly but Kayan and Kaho skips 㩧㩧.

EKMai

Glad those bound form things are gone, but since the update the ABC Cantonese dictionary doesn't work in the reader.
Also, not sure if it is me expecting too much from it, or if it is because I have been dreaming about this becoming available, but the the ABC Canto lacks A LOT of characters, even simple things as basic as 我, 想, 或者 ... are not included.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The reader remembers + defaults to the last dictionary that you manually selected, so if you select ABY and then scroll through a text, you'll get definitions from other dictionaries when there's no ABY one available but it'll pop right back to ABY as soon as you come back to a word with an ABY definition (unless you manually switch to another dictionary in the meantime).

Regarding missing characters: they're working on an update to ABY to fill those in, actually, but the priority with the initial version was covering Cantonese-specific words. If you're comfortable with reading definitions in Chinese characters, the Guangzhouhua-Putonghua dictionary does a pretty good job with breaking out character definitions into their Cantonese- and non-Cantonese meanings; if not, our CC-Canto dictionary was also recently updated to add Cantonese-enhanced definitions for several thousand characters it didn't cover before.

Sand0

On android and with the new version (3.2.47). Sorry for being vague. It also stop reading everything after 㗇 (gaa5).

Last edited:

Sand0

I found another one : gaa2 (㗎). The TTS stops after those characters (even if the sentence continue afterward) while having audio in the headword like every characters. However 㗎啦 (gaa3 laa1) present the same behavior but with no headword sound (with "use TTS if no sound found for the headword" in the setting). Those characters aren't in the UNI dictionary and only found in ABC Cantonese (afaik) if it can help.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It looks like an issue with character set conversion to Unicode Extension A - should hopefully be fixed in our next bug-fix update.