Minimum Android Version for 4.0?

kerim

I don't know if this has been announced (or decided yet), but I was curious about the minimum Android version requirements for Pleco 4.0. That's because, after using it exclusively on iOS for many years, I recently got a Boox Note 5 and am especially interested in using Pleco for reading ePub filed on that device. However, I am hoping that there will be improvements in the 4.0 version of the file reader and am wondering if I will have access to them on this device?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No idea yet - off the top of my head I can't think of any improvements in the last few versions of Android that are particularly compelling for a minimum system requirement (unlike on iOS where the declarative UI improvements in iOS 13/14 are a massive game-changer), but at the same time, it's entirely possible that we'll discover some horrible bug on an earlier version of Android and decide that the % of people using it is small enough that we're better off not supporting it than working around it.

At present, Android 11 and earlier make up about 2/3 of our installed base and so would be tough for us to cut loose; however, while I expect the Android port of 4.0 to be relatively quick and easy, this is me we're talking about and it's entirely possible that it ends up taking so long that by the time it's out Android 11 is no longer worth supporting :)