multisyllable audio + pinyin tone colors

ausgang

进士
hey there!

i installed the multisyllable audio file, but i am not sure if it is working correct. for example the word běnlǐng 本领. It is pronounced as two times the third tone. should be 2nd and 3rd if i am right.

another question: is it possible to color not only the hanzi but also the pinyin?

thanks in advance
jürgen

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, we've fixed this in the upcoming iPhone version and will also be fixing it in the 2.1 update (or possibly an earlier 2.0.4 one - it's in the engine code now, so whatever the next version we release is, that should have it).

It would certainly be feasible to color the Pinyin too, but nobody's actually asked about that before. I'd worry it might get a bit unreadable over large blocks of text - do you think it would help with remembering tones or just save the trouble of squinting at tone marks?

ausgang

进士
good to hear. i am looking forward to the next version.

for the pinyin-colors: I tought only about colors in the headword (not in the example sentences or links - maybe an extra option?) for me the coloring of pinyin words is the visual duplication of the tones. I use it for my paper flashcards and found it very helpful. it also helps to strenghten the connection between the particular color and the corresponding tone.

by the way: pleco is a tool that really is a software-solution (not anonther trouble-maker). thanks very much for the development and ongoing support & adaptation. :D

ausgang

进士
another question: when i play the sound for a multi-syllable word there are relativly large gaps between the syllables although i installed the "multisyllable" add-on. is this normal?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
For uncommon words, yes - the multisyllable recordings are only good for about 34,000 common words, with other words it just plays syllable-by-syllable.

ausgang

进士
Unfortunately there are only very few words that are pronounced fluently.

Example of correct audio: 要是 yàoshì, 亚洲 yàzhōu, 结实 jiēshi
Example of wrong audio: 学习 xuéxí, 生日 shēngrì, 房间 fángjiān

About every 20th mulitsyllable word is spelled correct.

I already tried to reinstall pleco without any benefit.
I first installed the main software and then the multisyllable audio extra file (pc200-xaudio.exe) .

I use a Dell Axim x51v with Windows Mobile 6.1

Pleco is installed on my CF Card and the files "p2audio-man-core", "p2audio-man-x1", ... are in my pleco folder.

Can anybody imagine why this happens?