New Audio Files + Old Palm Beta 3

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I've just posted a new set of audio files for Beta 3 here:

(link removed, fix now incorporated into Beta 3a - see the announcement for a download link for that)

I've also re-posted the crash-prone Palm Beta 3 release with its not-so-crash-prone wide-punctuation-equipped font files here:

(link removed, fix now incorporated into Beta 3a - see the announcement for a download link for that)

The rest of Beta 3 without any Palm files is still available here:

If some PPC users could please try out these new audio files and let us know if they get audio working again, and some adventurous Palm users could try installing Beta 3 (after deleting any remnants of Beta 2) with the new data files and these new audio files and let us know if that improves the crashing situation any, that would be very helpful for getting the official Beta 3(a) out ASAP.

ipsi

状元
I'll install it now... Hope this works a bit better. Also, interesting side note: Handwriting recognition doesn't work right now in 1.3 or 2.0B2. Not sure why. Meh. I'll mention this again once I've installed B3, if it still persists.

Also, while I'm here: I'm not getting all the notifications I would be expecting from the forums. I'm not sure why. But I should be getting emails when new topics are posted, and I'm not. Well, not always. I'm not sure what the pattern is, but there we go. Possibly an issue with the update?

Rik123

秀才
I've just tried these new audio file and still no luck

b3 also didn't fix the handwriting recognition not registering a second stroke when writing quickly (which I see someone else mentioned in another thread) nor the issue I had with traditional characters showing in the (right-hand) word list.

I've also noticed that pressing the [x] close box causes PD to exit, it's no longer listed in running programs, which is uncommon for PPC apps, was this intended?

My device:
E-TEN M600+
Windows Mobile 5.0

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ipsi - that is odd, the forum software in general seems to be pretty stable now (just added Chinese as a language pack option and used the wonderful new Colorize It system to get the hue to match that of the rest of our website) so I'm not sure why the notifications still aren't working. Do you know specifically which forums you're getting notifications for and which ones you aren't? I'm still iffy on a possible vBulletin switch because I really like the prosilver theme look and there doesn't seem to be anything like it for vB.

Rik123 - not sure about the audio files; did you make certain to delete the old ones first? And to exit / soft reset / reopen PlecoDict after doing that? The double-tap handwriting bug wasn't fixed in Beta 3, but we think we've figured it out now, so at some point soon we'll release an experimental update to make sure our fix actually works this time. The word list not updating is something we're still working on, and the X completely unloading the software is in fact intentional but only for the betas - we haven't yet rewritten the code which checks for a new keyfile whenever you activate Pleco, right now it only checks for one when the software loads, so we left it that way to avoid confusion.

ipsi

状元
I think they may be back to normal now. I'll PM you if I start having issues again. It does annoy me that I only get notifications once per forum when a new topic is posted. I'd rather have a notification *every* time a topic is posted.

Anyway, I installed Beta 3, tried to launch it, and it crashed. What files do I need to delete? I've deleted everything with creator code PLEN, but that's obviously not enough. And you still need to change the creator code of the Pleco Engine file...

Haven't put the new audio on yet as I've lost my card reader, which sucks.

ssaito

探花
fyi i copied the new b3 audio files over the original 2 audio files (and installed b3) and was not able to get audio to work. no sound came out when i hit the "play" button.

-s

at&t 8525 w/ wm6

Audio crashes Palm TX

The current beta3 audio crashes my palm TX (soft reset). Before I installed b3 I removed all Pleco-related files from the TX memory, also deleted any left-over preferences using FileZ. Then I installed the plecoengine, the keyfile, as well as the two HWR files into TX memory, leaving the other stuff on the SD card.

When I tap on the loudspeaker icon nothing happens the first time (no sound), but the second time the TX is reset (soft/warm reset).

:(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ipsi - try deleting your preferences, I guess. And if you see any PLDE files aside from your flashcards / user DB / PlecoDict.prc / things-you-haven't-consciously-installed-in-internal-memory you could try deleting those too.

ssaito - are you sure you're now running beta 3? And had you exited Pleco completely before doing this install? Try soft resetting (if you haven't already) and see if that improves matters any.

haraldalbrecht - that's particularly odd as the TX is the system we've done most of our testing on. You're sure this keyfile includes audio, right? Any chance you might have accidentally installed part of beta 2?

Hello Mike,

the audio files are from the pdb2b3audio.zip archive file, with most file dates as of 2007-10-21 (audio files), the audio folder itself is dated 2007-12-28 (all ISO dates here are YYYY-MM-DD which I tend to use automatically since at work I have to deal with colleagues from different world regions).

The pleco engine is as of 2007-12-21.

For preparation I've created an empty plecodict directory on my Linux laptop and then copied in the appropriate contents of the three zip files for beta 3 you've listed at the top of this thread. Next, I've erased all pleco-related files from the internal TX storage, also erased the /PALM/Programs/PlecoDict directory on the SD before copying everything from the plecodict directory of the Linux box over to the SD card into /PALM/Programs/PlecoDict. Finally moved the required files including the key file into the TX memory. BTW: the modification file dates of the audio files on SD correspond with the dates for the audio files in the preparation plecodict directory on my Linux laptop.

First startup took some time then I got the success message for the lock file and off I went testing PlecoDict 2. About says that it is a beta 3. The Ordering screen lists the various audio components as purchased.

I just downloaded the keylock.pdb again this very morning just to be sure. It is dated 2008-01-02 on the SD card and has been automatically found by the pleco engine the first time I started it (I copied it over to the TX internal memory; it has been deleted by the engine after the first run, right?).

Is that correct that all files are tagged with creator = PLEN, with the exception of the pleco engine itself and the two handwriting recognition files, which are all three tagged as creator = PLDE?

ipsi

状元
With regards to the Palm version, I've noticed that installing the HW Recognition files from Beta 3 causes it to break in 1.3, in addition to Beta 3 not working at all. I'm not sure why, but that's the way it is. Everything works fine after installing the HWR files from B2. I noticed that the creation date on the HWR for B3 is actually an hour before the date for the B2 files. Did you use an old version there as well?

In any event, I still can't get B3 working at all...

What do the preference files look like? They don't have the same creator code, so I'm honestly not sure what to delete in order to try and get B3 to work...

Talk about time zone and daylight saving settings and the many bugs in tools and converters :wink:

But seriously: the new handwriting recognition files work flawlessly here on my TX installation. Seems one cannot have everything: either sound or handwriting recognition. :(

ssaito

探花
regarding problems with pleco forgetting purchased licenses:
mike, i tried loading the keyfile as you suggest, exiting, and reseting, but it keeps forgetting that i bought the guifan license.
i guess this is another item for beta 4.
thanks,
s

at&t 8525 w/ wm6

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
haraldalbrecht - that all sounds correct, yes. Seems like there's some other issue here that neither set of audio files fixes, probably a transient bug since it's working fine on our systems with pretty much the exact same setup.

ipsi - they should all show up under creator PLEN in FileZ's preferences editor screen. Weird about the HWR files - probably the best bet on that is for us to completely rename / re-creator-code / etc them so that you can have different sets for 1.0 and the beta, they are in fact the same files but it seems like associating them with one version's creator code can cause problems with the other version, so I guess the wasted 1.2 MB are worth it to be able to use both programs smoothly.

ssaito - sorry that didn't work, as I think I've mentioned before we're going to be completely rewriting the Pocket PC preferences code at some point so this should be fixed then at least. You're sure it's forgetting the license and not just losing track of the database file, right? (i.e., the Guifan dictionary is still available but now only in demo mode)

ipsi

状元
It actually works fine having just one set of HWR files. It's just that the B3 files are broken, for some reason. B2 and 1.3 work fine side by side with only one set of PLEN HWR files.

@ipsi: strange Palm world: on my TX setup the beta2 HW recognition files caused the old PlecoDict 1.x to crash, so I had to retire PlecoDict 1.x. Seems as if the only constant for the Palm platform is that it behaves different everywhere. Now if only a new platform would emerge (WinCE is a bad joke).

ipsi

状元
That's really bizzare! But Pleco 1.3 just said it couldn't find the HWR files when I installed the B3 files. It didn't crash, thankfully. I think B2 did though, before I restored its HWR files. But only when I tried to use the HWR.