New China CDN Test

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're getting ready to launch a new, much faster system for downloading apps and add-ons in China, one that's actually located within the Great Firewall and so should offer much better performance than our old HK-based solution. Along with our own testing we'd love to get some user feedback on whether or not this works well for our China-based users.

Here's a 57 MB test file (the bundle data files for our latest Android app):

(test over)

Please let us know if the new CDN is an improvement over the other options. (also, if you feel like helping out with additional testing or are having trouble downloading other data files through our regular network, PM me and I can set up your copy of Pleco to pull all of its "Add-ons" files from this test system)

This is only meant to work in China - outside of China it'll be noticeably slower than any of our other options, since it has to go through the GFW in the other direction.

Last edited:

ckatt

状元
New one seems to be about the same speed as the HK CDN. Maybe the HK is a little faster. I'm located in Guangzhou though so, maybe its better for people in the north.

New China CDN: about 4 mins
Old China server: less than 1 min
Old Worldwide CDN 1: about 10 mins
Old Worldwide CDN 2:: The specified key does not exist

santiago

举人
New China CDN: about 3 mins
Old China server: about 1 mins
Old Worldwide CDN 1: about 6 mins
Old Worldwide CDN 2:: about 1 second but 281 bytes file

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for checking. We think we've figured out why the new CDN is slower than the old server so we'll be reconfiguring things to try to address that shortly.