New dictionaries for new learners?

driftwork

秀才
Hello,

I remember it being mentioned somewhere that some new dictionaries were being released in the fall of 2012 that might be good for new learners of Mandarin.

Any recommendations would be swell.

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
driftwork said:
I remember it being mentioned somewhere that some new dictionaries were being released in the fall of 2012 that might be good for new learners of Mandarin.

We've got two of them still coming - a larger version of the Tuttle and another general-purpose C-E/E-C - and we've also just about reached a deal to add part of speech data to PLC (which certainly seems helpful for learners), but we'd certainly like to do more as well. For now the current version of Tuttle would be my top recommendation for a beginner, perhaps combined with the new TTS add-on so you can hear every example sentence read out loud.

jla888

mikelove said:
driftwork said:

We've got two of them still coming - a larger version of the Tuttle and another general-purpose C-E/E-C - and we've also just about reached a deal to add part of speech data to PLC (which certainly seems helpful for learners), but we'd certainly like to do more as well. For now the current version of Tuttle would be my top recommendation for a beginner, perhaps combined with the new TTS add-on so you can hear every example sentence read out loud.

hI, may I ask if the larger version of the tuttle will be an upgrade or be a totally different dictionary, If I purchase the tuttle now, would i be able to upgrade to the larger tuttle version or do I need to buy the larger version thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jla888 said:
hI, may I ask if the larger version of the tuttle will be an upgrade or be a totally different dictionary, If I purchase the tuttle now, would i be able to upgrade to the larger tuttle version or do I need to buy the larger version thanks.

We're planning to make it an upgrade for existing Tuttle Learner's owners for less than the cost of the full Tuttle, but then again, we might end up lowering the price of the Tuttle at the same time that we start offering this, so I can't guarantee that you won't end up spending more money if you buy now instead of later.

Alexis

状元
Will the exisiting Tuttle Learner's still be available as a separate dictionary? What I like most about this dictionary is that it's "readable" (it's the only paper dictionary available in Pleco that I kept).The limited scope guarantees that every word is a useful word and that there will be one or two example sentences. If it gets merged with more entries with less depth, it would lose this disadvantage.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Will the exisiting Tuttle Learner's still be available as a separate dictionary? What I like most about this dictionary is that it's "readable" (it's the only paper dictionary available in Pleco that I kept).The limited scope guarantees that every word is a useful word and that there will be one or two example sentences. If it gets merged with more entries with less depth, it would lose this disadvantage.

I think for licensing reasons we'll keep the existing one around for people who bought it already, but I'm not sure if we'll actually keep selling it to new users - it's likely to make things needlessly confusing, and most people aren't going to want to read a paragraph worth of explanation for why they might want one Tuttle versus the other.

Luke

Mike, any update on the ETA for the new Tuttle dictionary? I was about to buy the Learner's dictionary, but if the "upgraded" version will be out soon, I'd rather hold off.

Thanks!
Luke

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Luke said:
Mike, any update on the ETA for the new Tuttle dictionary? I was about to buy the Learner's dictionary, but if the "upgraded" version will be out soon, I'd rather hold off.

Unlikely before summer.