New user: 1.0 or 2.0 beta?

I have just bought an iPaq and I am looking at buying PlecoDict. Should I
  • go with version 1 and then upgrade to 2.0 when it comes out.
  • install the latest beta and then upgrade to 2.0 when it comes out.
  • wait until 2.0 comes out

ipsi

状元
Install 1.0 and then upgrade unless you enjoy being on the 'bleeding edge', or *need* some of the features in 2.0.

The total cost is the same, so there's no point in waiting.

Buy 1.0 and then, if you feel like you want some of the stuff that'll be in 2.0, you can install the beta, but if you're a new user I wouldn't recommend it. Besides, the finished version will be out soon(ish).

sfrrr

状元
It seems to me that there is NO reason not to buy 1.0. It's extremely useful as it is, and will be revved to 2.0 for free in a relatively short time--a few months??

I'm not sure whether the beta is open to everyone, but if you're techie, and you can get your hands on the 2.0 beta 5, you can run both at the same time. 2.0 has such fabulous new features as audio pronunciation, much more powerful flashcards, a built-in document reader, a link between PD and other programs, e.g. word processors and other readers, more flexible input methods, among others.

I envy the thrill you're going to have the first few months you use either 1.0 or 2.0. I don't think I'd be as far along in my studies if I were still using paper dictionaries with or without some other brands' Chinese dictionary.

Sandra

What is the current state of the 2.0 beta?

Thanks for the replies, but could I ask, what state is the 2.0 beta in? 'Beta' in my experience can mean anything from unusable to 'Google beta'. Is the current 2.0 beta usable?

Also, is there (or will there be) a transition utility for the state of any flashcards? I do not want to use one flashcard system for several months and then go back to zero. If I start with version 1, then when 2 comes out, I want to be able to copy over my card ranks and other flashcard status data (not just the characters, pinyin and definitions).

ipsi

状元
There's a utility out (look at the top of the forum) that will convert from 1.0 to 2.0 flashcards. Worked flawlessly for me.

The Beta is in a generally usable state. Some features don't work, others haven't been optimised yet, it resets every now and then, etc, but it's possible to use it on a daily basis. I use it for my flashcards pretty much daily, for example, and it's generally been solid for me. :). I think there's also a bug that causes a crash after a sufficiently large number of repeated audio plays.

As sfrrr said, you can have them both installed at once, so you can play around if you so desire. As far as I'm aware, Beta is open to all registered forumites :D.

ipsi

状元
Probably a good idea. Might be worth jumping in on the next beta though, depending on what's been changed and how much more stable it is.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've been using 1.0 for quite a while now and loving it. =) However, I have been considering trying the beta since I'm really eager to use the audio flashcards.

My question is, should I go ahead and dive in with Beta 7 since I'm on Windows Mobile and I understand it is pretty stable now? Or is Beta 8 just around the corner, more stable, and I would just be wasting my time installing Beta 7, uninstalling and reinstalling Beta 8?

ldolse

状元
Windows Mobile is extremely stable now. The remaining bugs are just minor issues, most users aren't experiencing any crashes on WinMO at this point, though I believe there are a few rare instances. If you install beta 7 remember to grab the executable update which includes a few additional fixes.

Beta8 could be out at any time, but since they aren't announced I'd just go ahead and get B7.