OCR dock sometimes get stuck and just won't get removed. I'm using latest version of Android (11) of my google pixel 2

Dragon

秀才
Sometimesa when trying the OCR widget, the dictionary overlay together with description overlay, volume, basically all OCR UI buttons won't disappear and I have no choice but to restart my phone to get it off of my screen and it happens more often that it should. Any patch for this?Thank you.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd... so nothing at all happens when you tap on the back button? What about if you tap on a character to select it and then tap on the 'share'/'expand' button at the top to open it in Pleco?

Dragon

秀才
That's odd... so nothing at all happens when you tap on the back button? What about if you tap on a character to select it and then tap on the 'share'/'expand' button at the top to open it in Pleco?

Nothing. :(,even if I turn of the screen and turn it on back again, it's still there. I'll take a screenshot and post it here when it happens again. I tend to use it when taking out Chinese characters from books I'm studying and importing them to flashcards. I just think that I'm abusing it too much which is why it's happening.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... so it tends to accompany a lot of flashcard adding? Any chance it might be tied to some particular thing you're doing with flashcards?

flamenco

Old thread, but I'm currently getting this issue on my One Plus 7T. basically if i have an extended session of 20 or so mins, eventually I usually get the bug. I think its happened half a dozen times so far

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Can you try temporarily putting your phone in gesture mode? That should cause the OCR interface to have a big onscreen 'X' button to dismiss it - if that button works reliably when the back gesture didn't then we can consider adding an option to always show that button even on devices that are not in gesture mode.

Dragon

秀才
I'm still suffering from it from time to time. What works for me now is that I try to swipe down to bring up the phone's overlay menu and open the settings -> go to apps -> force close Pleco. Good thing Pleco popup doesn't go on top of my phone's settings UI. It's still annoying as hell though, given that I paid for the app and almost all of it's dictionaries and reading materials.. there's this bitterness lurking in me each and every time this happens. :confused:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm still suffering from it from time to time. What works for me now is that I try to swipe down to bring up the phone's overlay menu and open the settings -> go to apps -> force close Pleco. Good thing Pleco popup doesn't go on top of my phone's settings UI. It's still annoying as hell though, given that I paid for the app and almost all of it's dictionaries and reading materials.. there's this bitterness lurking in me each and every time this happens. :confused:

Could you try that option I mentioned? If a software button fixes it (because that way it doesn't matter whether the OS is failing to direct your back button press correctly) that should be easy for us to add for everyone.

More generally: we give away Screen Reader for free and we give away Screen OCR for free with our OCR add-on (which we have to pay to license, so we can't give that away for free) precisely because we don't want people to be stuck paying for something that doesn't work reliably. Screen Reader exists in a sort of no-man's-land where Google hasn't technically banned anything we do, but they strongly discourage it, don't test that it works correctly on new devices, don't document most of it, and don't even offer APIs for some seemingly obvious things like "what exactly are the usable boundaries of the screen for me right now." So we're doing the best we can but frankly it's kind of a miracle this feature works at all :)

(but if you're disappointed with your purchase we're of course happy to refund anything you bought within Google's 1-year return window)

Dragon

秀才
Could you try that option I mentioned? If a software button fixes it (because that way it doesn't matter whether the OS is failing to direct your back button press correctly) that should be easy for us to add for everyone.

More generally: we give away Screen Reader for free and we give away Screen OCR for free with our OCR add-on (which we have to pay to license, so we can't give that away for free) precisely because we don't want people to be stuck paying for something that doesn't work reliably. Screen Reader exists in a sort of no-man's-land where Google hasn't technically banned anything we do, but they strongly discourage it, don't test that it works correctly on new devices, don't document most of it, and don't even offer APIs for some seemingly obvious things like "what exactly are the usable boundaries of the screen for me right now." So we're doing the best we can but frankly it's kind of a miracle this feature works at all :)

(but if you're disappointed with your purchase we're of course happy to refund anything you bought within Google's 1-year return window)

That's understandable. Been using Pleco for years now and never thought about refund. I love it so much and always looking forward to its possible potential new features like more professional Minanyu dictionary.

flamenco

Can you try temporarily putting your phone in gesture mode? That should cause the OCR interface to have a big onscreen 'X' button to dismiss it - if that button works reliably when the back gesture didn't then we can consider adding an option to always show that button even on devices that are not in gesture mode.

I actually exclusively use the gestures, i swipe left to exit the active OCR mode. Its such a great feature though so I am not that frustrated. Especially since occurs so sporadically. I'll try make note of any way to reproduce the bug though

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I actually exclusively use the gestures, i swipe left to exit the active OCR mode. Its such a great feature though so I am not that frustrated. Especially since occurs so sporadically. I'll try make note of any way to reproduce the bug though

Well that's odd, there should be a big X at the top of the screen to dismiss Screen OCR - is that button not appearing or is it not working correctly?

flamenco

Well that's odd, there should be a big X at the top of the screen to dismiss Screen OCR - is that button not appearing or is it not working correctly?
button disappears, and have this overlay permanently on screen. Can interact with overlay but thats about it

Screenshot_20220115-153615.jpg

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, that's illuminating, thanks - seems like it's specifically about the reader popup rather than the entire overlay, not sure how that's getting detached from the rest of it but it gives us a much narrower thing to investigate.

flamenco

Ah, that's illuminating, thanks - seems like it's specifically about the reader popup rather than the entire overlay, not sure how that's getting detached from the rest of it but it gives us a much narrower thing to investigate.
i still have the same phone, and haven't come across this issue for a very long time. at least 1+ years. Appreciate the fix, though I'm curious if you remember what the issue was. or was it a OnePlus / android issue that fixed itself

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We have made a few tweaks to this since then, though there isn't a specific one I can confidently point to. Glad it's working better anyway.