OCR for Android ...

in forumosa.com there is talk, that OCR is (at least) also an option for Android ...
Ok, all is so far just "hot talk" yet.
But I must admit, this news has changed my mind to choose whether iOS or Android ...

Therefor I decided first to buy a 2nd hand ipod touch and waiting either there will
be a new touch (hopefully with better camera) or a final and complete Android device.
Buying Android cellphone seems to be no option, as we all don´t know if Froyo would
be enough ...

Therefor I have a very stupid question. I apologize for this, but I am a newbie here ...
If I purchase first the basic bundle for the iOS and use it on the ipod touch, could I
later (probably end of 2011 or even later) switch over to Android or would I have to
pay again for it ?
How would such a thing work ? Even if I loose my touch or it gets broken, can I switch
to another touch or maybe iphone without any extra costs ?

Really wonder how this kind would work on itunes, but ok, I agree, for this technical
question this is not the right forum ...

However, I would be very glad, if you, Mike and colleguages or the forum here, could provide
me an answer about the iOS to Android change ....

Thank you very much !!

And yes, I am aware, that nothing is decided about "Pleco coming to Android", although it
indeed looks promising.
I think there are A LOT people out there with an interest in Pleco, probably much more
than actual iphone users using it already ...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
petermeigen said:
Therefor I have a very stupid question. I apologize for this, but I am a newbie here ...
If I purchase first the basic bundle for the iOS and use it on the ipod touch, could I
later (probably end of 2011 or even later) switch over to Android or would I have to
pay again for it ?
How would such a thing work ? Even if I loose my touch or it gets broken, can I switch
to another touch or maybe iphone without any extra costs ?

Not a stupid question at all: you can certainly switch to another iDevice without paying again (assuming that device is compatible with Pleco), yes.

With transfers to Android we're not sure - we'd like to have a free platform transfer policy like we do on iPhone, and we think we've got most of the licensing worked out, but there are a few unknowns, e.g. how many Android phones in 2011 will be locked down to only run apps from one particular store (which might ban us from offering free transfers even if we did offer our software through it), whether we'll be able to prevent further activations of an iPhone version of Pleco after it's been transferred to Android (we think we've got a way but Apple could always wreck it in OS 5), etc.

megaheld

locked down from installing apps from other resources than the marked? I never heard of rumors like that and that would contradict one of the great advantages of android. I really hope that will never happen :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
megaheld said:
locked down from installing apps from other resources than the marked? I never heard of rumors like that and that would contradict one of the great advantages of android. I really hope that will never happen

Already does on a few phones (those from US carrier AT&T, e.g.) - we very much hope it doesn't become more widespread but with other carriers and handset vendors launching their own stores we're quite concerned that it will. Particularly since so much of the appeal of Android for us is not having to deal with app-store-related crap like we do now.

numble

状元
megaheld said:
locked down from installing apps from other resources than the marked? I never heard of rumors like that and that would contradict one of the great advantages of android. I really hope that will never happen :)
This already happens on some popular devices. The nook and nook color do not have access to the Android Market and can only install Barnes and Noble approved apps, the WiFi-only Galaxy Tab only allows apps from the Samsung App store, and a lot of Android phones in the China market are limited to carrier/manufacturer app stores.

mandu

秀才
I expect that tablets will gain market access once google feels they have their tablet support ready.

AT&T is just one of those user-unfriendly companies that will cut very corner as long as they can profit, but the majority of Android phones powerful enough to run Pleco also have full access to the market.

I sincerely hope that won't change...