OCR one-handed impossibility

LantauMan

进士
This is not a bug, but an annoyance. I find the OCR to be nearly impossible to use one-handed, even with my miniscule LG Optimus One. Most of the time I find myself in situations where the words I want to recognize are in books or magazines. In such a case, I almost always need to use one hand to hold up the book or hold a page flat, and turn it to get the best lighting, while holding my device in my other hand. Trouble is, the only way to get a fix on whatever is being recognized is to tap the "pause" button. When I do that, the slightest touch of my big fat thumb sets the phone shaking, like a see-saw effect, and the stuff I want to OCR is no longer within the border I've drawn. Similar problem when tapping the "focus" button. Normally I have to give up, place whatever I'm OCR-ing on a stand somewhere with good light, and then use two hands to get the focus and pause the camera. This is often either impossible, inconvenient (or occasionally embarrassing, like in a crowded book shop).

Yes, I know the definitions appear on the fly, in real time, which is great. Unless I want to look up something in more detail. Which is 90 percent of the time that I'm using OCR. Cue the above scenario.

I would like it if you'd give some thought into a better method of one-handed use of the OCR. Some possibilities:

1) Place the "focus" and "pause" buttons at the TOP of the screen, so that one can use the index finger instead of the thumb, since the index finger can be maneuvered more subtly (at least mine can), without rocking the device (when I've played with the live OCR settings, I see you get choices to pause and to focus when tapping within the video window; obviously these are mutually exclusive, since when both are checked, it seems that only focus works when tapping the screen).

2) Map the "focus" and "pause" functions to the volume rocker switch, so that I can much more comfortably grasp the phone between thumb and fingers and thus be able to hold it more steady and be able to pause without having the see-saw effect that occurs with the current usage.

3) Add a timer setting, so that if something is held in focus without moving for, say, 5 seconds, the OCR camera automatically locks, so that I can set down the target book and use both hands to look up the definitions, etc.

I'd prefer option 3, actually.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
This is not a bug, but an annoyance. I find the OCR to be nearly impossible to use one-handed, even with my miniscule LG Optimus One. Most of the time I find myself in situations where the words I want to recognize are in books or magazines. In such a case, I almost always need to use one hand to hold up the book or hold a page flat, and turn it to get the best lighting, while holding my device in my other hand. Trouble is, the only way to get a fix on whatever is being recognized is to tap the "pause" button. When I do that, the slightest touch of my big fat thumb sets the phone shaking, like a see-saw effect, and the stuff I want to OCR is no longer within the border I've drawn. Similar problem when tapping the "focus" button. Normally I have to give up, place whatever I'm OCR-ing on a stand somewhere with good light, and then use two hands to get the focus and pause the camera. This is often either impossible, inconvenient (or occasionally embarrassing, like in a crowded book shop).

In general I'd recommend using a weight of some kind to keep the book open, but actually we do have a fix for this already; turn on the option "Tap video to pause" in Settings / OCR / Live and you can touch your finger anywhere within the video frame (outside of the resize handles for the recognition area) to pause the video. You'll probably also want to turn on the option to tap to resume, unless you find that your finger bounces too much in which case you can leave that off (that's why those two options aren't coupled).

LantauMan said:
3) Add a timer setting, so that if something is held in focus without moving for, say, 5 seconds, the OCR camera automatically locks, so that I can set down the target book and use both hands to look up the definitions, etc.

Also already supported with our motion detection pause option; if you point at the same thing for a second or so the frame will turn orange and it'll stop recognizing. If you turn on "Button-only resume" in Settings/ OCR / Live / Configure motion detection, it'll only resume on a "resume" button press rather than when it detects the device moving again.

LantauMan

进士
Cool, I never thought to explore the motion detection settings (didn't know they were there). I still find that when I select "tap video to pause" and "tap video to re-focus", I can't have it both ways.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
Cool, I never thought to explore the motion detection settings (didn't know they were there). I still find that when I select "tap video to pause" and "tap video to re-focus", I can't have it both ways.

True, maybe we should add a "hold" option for one of them or something like that.

ckatt

状元
mikelove said:
LantauMan said:

True, maybe we should add a "hold" option for one of them or something like that.

that sounds great to me!

scykei

榜眼
Right, I know this is the Android forum but I'm having this problem too on the iPad, which has a much bigger screen. Option 1 sounds good but in the my case, I would prefer the buttons to be around the right edges of the screen, just like the iPad's camera app. I think it would be much easier to access the focus and pause buttons.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
Right, I know this is the Android forum but I'm having this problem too on the iPad, which has a much bigger screen. Option 1 sounds good but in the my case, I would prefer the buttons to be around the right edges of the screen, just like the iPad's camera app. I think it would be much easier to access the focus and pause buttons.

The same tap-anywhere-to-pause option is available on iPad too, actually - have you tried it yet?

(I have to say I continue to be astonished by the iPad's popularity for taking pictures - really thought Apple was nuts when they added a camera, but I see people taking photos with them all the time and apparently a lot of people are using them for live OCR too)

scykei

榜眼
Yeah, I have it at tap to pause, drag to lock or something. But I need the focus button too. It's hard to shake the iPad to refocus, you know? :p

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
Yeah, I have it at tap to pause, drag to lock or something. But I need the focus button too. It's hard to shake the iPad to refocus, you know? :p

Doesn't tapping-to-pause cause it to re-focus as well? That's what's supposed to happen, anyway.

scykei

榜眼
Oh wow it does? I don't know. But Pleco will automatically try to refocus whenever it feels that the image is unclear so it's rare that I need it. But every once in a while when I use the OCR, it doesn't do it automatically so I have to stretch my fingers all the way to the bottom of the screen to force it to do so.

LantauMan

进士
scykei said:
Pleco will automatically try to refocus whenever it feels that the image is unclear so it's rare that I need it.

It might just be my device (LG Optimus One, which is curiously incompatible with a host of apps), but Pleco OCR never auto-focuses until I tap the focus button. Thus, every time I use it, if I move even slightly closer or away from the target, the characters inside the focus panel start going wild and I need to contort fingers to get a new focus.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
scykei said:
Pleco will automatically try to refocus whenever it feels that the image is unclear so it's rare that I need it.

It might just be my device (LG Optimus One, which is curiously incompatible with a host of apps), but Pleco OCR never auto-focuses until I tap the focus button. Thus, every time I use it, if I move even slightly closer or away from the target, the characters inside the focus panel start going wild and I need to contort fingers to get a new focus.

It only does that on iOS; Android didn't support continuous autofocus at all well until 4.0, though if your Optimus One is running that you can turn on the option for it in Settings / OCR / Live. (you can also do that on pre-4.0 devices, actually, but it's so crash-prone that I wouldn't recommend it) This also doesn't work if the camera is in macro mode, which unlike on iOS has to be toggled on / off and which we turn on by default since people are mostly using OCR for close-up text.

(the huge variety of camera hardware on Android means that its camera control APIs are extremely rough / buggy compared to iOS', so much so that at several points in development we were seriously considering dropping OCR as a feature altogether)