OCR!

Entropy

榜眼
dustpuppy said:
Honestly, pleco is so good, it warrants buying an iphone 4 just for that. Compared to what I spend on my lessons, the price of the phone is quickly amortized.

Do you mean the $200 for the phone, or the $600 for the phone if you can get it that way, or the $1500+ price of the contract?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Pampuk said:
- is the Ocr include into bundles : basic and pro (by the way, can you make a bundle with all the adds-on (present and future), excluding any dictionary. As french, I'm only interested in Chinese to english dictionary (and french, of course)).

Yes, as singlung says the OCR module isn't part of any bundle - between iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone 3G users the majority of our customers have devices that don't support OCR, so it would be silly to raise the price of the bundles for them to pay royalties for a feature they can't even use. And having a separate OCR-compatible-device-only bundle that gives you one of the regular bundles + OCR at a lower price than those would be purchased separately would create a lot of headaches - people who'd bought a non-OCR bundle on their iPod but now wanted to upgrade to OCR on the iPhone for the difference in price, e.g. - so I think it'll be best if we make everyone pay the same for OCR as a separate add-on.

As far as a bundle with every present and future non-dictionary add-on, that doesn't really make sense because it potentially handicaps our future licenses; if there's some incredibly awesome new feature (really good speaker-independent voice recognition, e.g., which I haven't seen for Chinese yet but which certainly might exist some day) that comes with a giant per-copy royalty, we wouldn't want to be prevented from licensing that by the fact that we'd then have to pay those royalties for thousands and thousands of people who'd bought that all-add-ons-included bundle.

singlung said:
in the experimental beta there is a function doing exactly that. i am quite happy with it so far, but just with photos of texts, haven't tried signs or sth like that yet. we will see if it will be available in the final version.

It should be available in the finished version, but it'll probably remain an "Experimental" feature that has to be enabled in Settings before you can even see it - it works pretty well (better than any other solution I've seen for that on iPhone anyway), but still if a photo is too askew / out of focus / inconsistently-lit / etc the output can be absolute garbage, so I'm wary of putting it out front too much when the results can be so unsatisfying for people who don't take the time to learn how to use it properly.

character said:
Doing a quick search makes me think that even if there is, standalone wifi/BT cameras are too expensive to make it worth making Pleco OCR work with them.

Brand-name yes, but if you add up the cost of an autofocus cell phone camera part to the cost of a Bluetooth chipset and the cost of a battery it seems like there ought to be an economical little device doing that somewhere - might be a good excuse to for me to take a tax-deductible trip to Las Vegas for CES, anyway :) (or go to the HK Electronics Fair for that matter) Designing even a fairly simple device from scratch is probably beyond our means, but a Pleco-branded version of a reference Bluetooth camera design is much more feasible.

Entropy said:
Do you mean the $200 for the phone, or the $600 for the phone if you can get it that way, or the $1500+ price of the contract?

The $1500 figure I never quite get, since that presupposes that the person wasn't going to have some sort of cell phone anyway - the $600 maybe makes a little more sense, but I'd be inclined to think of an iPhone 4 purchase more in terms of the $100-$200 premium over a simpler "feature phone" or a super-low-end Android phone.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dustpuppy said:
So when is christmas coming ? (when is the OCR module being released

Hopefully by the end of the month, but it's clear from the beta responses that we still need to refine a few parts of its UI.

Wanted to make sure I am on the right page getting a device that will run the OCR acceptably.
Would get the iphone four, except I already have a carrier ( Verizon) and can't switch to ATT. Non-subsidized new price out of my budget. Limited offerings of used iPhone 4s at this time.
New Ipod Touch 4th gen is a definite no with no autofocus. No workaround coming any time soon, right?
So Only choice is iPhone 3 GS. Is that completely acceptable? Any performance difference compared to iPhone 4?
Is 8 GB 3GS ok? Seems a far bot cheaper than the 16 or 32 gb models on the used market. Think I can get a Craigslist 3GS in the 2 - 300 dollar range used.
All dictionaries together take up about 1 gig?
And OCR out in about a month or two.. right?

Any other device suggestions?

Kevin
San Francisco

(Bummed the new iPod Toucn won't work)

Entropy

榜眼
mikelove said:
Entropy said:

The $1500 figure I never quite get, since that presupposes that the person wasn't going to have some sort of cell phone anyway.

Granted, but there are plenty of students who'd have to switch off the networks their parents are paying for as part of family plans, but even without that, a smartphone pretty much doubles your cellphone bill.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
kevin mogg said:
New Ipod Touch 4th gen is a definite no with no autofocus. No workaround coming any time soon, right?

The iPod 4th-gen might work with a macro lens case (a few of those already exist for the 3G) but we'll have to get an iPod and some cases here before we can validate that - our add-on system won't even allow you to purchase the OCR add-on on a non-autofocus device, though, at least not initially.

kevin mogg said:
So Only choice is iPhone 3 GS. Is that completely acceptable? Any performance difference compared to iPhone 4?
Is 8 GB 3GS ok? Seems a far bot cheaper than the 16 or 32 gb models on the used market. Think I can get a Craigslist 3GS in the 2 - 300 dollar range used. All dictionaries together take up about 1 gig?

Performance seems to be about the same - should feel about as "live" as the demo video does. And the 8 GB model should be fine - total figure for all dictionaries + extended audio files is still a bit under 1 GB actually.

kevin mogg said:
And OCR out in about a month or two.. right?

Hopefully, yes.

First, the iPhone 4 is ridiculously good hardware, getting it is easily justified. However, once you add Pleco to the equation, well, you just should already have the i4 in your pocket by now. ;)

Mike, great stuff with this OCR. I'm happy that I switched to iPhone now. If you need on the ground beta testing I'd be happy to focus on sign reading etc and give feedback.

Anyway, back to Xcode!

Rob

Entropy

榜眼
RobRedbeard said:
Mike, great stuff with this OCR. I'm happy that I switched to iPhone now. If you need on the ground beta testing I'd be happy to focus on sign reading etc and give feedback.

I'm also happy to alpha or beta test, but I still don't have an iPhone 4 yet.

~ Kiran

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
RobRedbeard said:

We're pretty full up with testers now, but since you're a regular feedbacker / forum poster we might be able to make an exception in your case - is your iPhone jailbroken by any chance? (given your Android background I'd have to think it is)

Entropy said:
I'm also happy to alpha or beta test, but I still don't have an iPhone 4 yet.

At the moment the beta won't even let you open OCR on anything other than an iPhone with an autofocus camera, but we're leaning towards changing that in Beta 2 (and the finished release) so that people who want to ignore our recommendations and try using it with a non-autofocus 3G/iPod Touch (maybe with a macro lens case) or use the "experimental" still image recognizer on a non-camera-equipped iPod/iPad can give it a try, so if your device is jailbroken we might be able to include you too at that point.

mikelove said:
We're pretty full up with testers now, but since you're a regular feedbacker / forum poster we might be able to make an exception in your case - is your iPhone jailbroken by any chance? (given your Android background I'd have to think it is)

Yes.

John

举人
If anyone from Apple is reading this, I've just today upgraded my 1st gen iPod Touch to an iPhone 4 basically to run Pleco OCR (which I think is cool)!

John

举人
John said:
If anyone from Apple is reading this, I've just today upgraded my 1st gen iPod Touch to an iPhone 4 basically to run Pleco OCR (which I think is cool)!

I'm surprised to receive an e-mail from Vodafone UK just now saying that my order yesterday is dispatching for arrival tomorrow! And I thought it would take them several weeks...

So it seems I'll have the hardware very soon and the software ... around the end of this month maybe ?!? :D

(I'll be in Taipei next weekend on holiday and it would be nice to (unexpectedly!) try it out whilst there but of course it's no problem at all if the software won't be available yet.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
John said:
So it seems I'll have the hardware very soon and the software ... around the end of this month maybe ?!?

Could be. Though per your Taipei comment, I should note again here, as I already have in a few other places, that this system is mainly designed around simplified characters. It supports the few thousand most common traditional characters, but it doesn't support less common ones, nor is it likely to do so in the near future; we don't have the recognition templates for those, and even if we did they'd diminish accuracy to an unacceptable degree due to all of the extra false positives.

John

举人
Assuming the traditional characters supported include the 1,945 joyo kanji:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C5%8Dy%C5%8D_kanji

which all Japanese school children are expected to learn, can the OCR be configured to display the on'yomi and kun'yomi Japanese readings of any character recognised (both of which are already in the Pleco dictionaries I believe) ?

If this can be so configured, then I think I can use the Pleco OCR to tell me the Japanese readings (e.g. a particular character is "kita") which I can then input into an electronic Japanese dictionary (designed for native Japanese speakers who - unlike me - can recognise the kanji). Otherwise, I have to use my Japanese electronic dictionary's handwriting input function (if it has one and assuming I write it correctly) or one of the various systems for looking up an unknown Kanji character (e.g. by radical; Jack Halpern's SKIP system; etc).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
John said:
Assuming the traditional characters supported include the 1,945 joyo kanji:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C5%8Dy%C5%8D_kanji

which all Japanese school children are expected to learn, can the OCR be configured to display the on'yomi and kun'yomi Japanese readings of any character recognised (both of which are already in the Pleco dictionaries I believe) ?

It doesn't include all of them - there are a few hundred Kanji that don't even exist in Chinese - and the system would likely be somewhat bothered by the presence of lots of kana it couldn't recognize, so unfortunately this won't work very well for Japanese. (licensing a Japanese-friendly OCR system would be very expensive, and even if we did we'd probably get beaten to the punch by another company that actually specializes in Japanese dictionaries)

Dr.Grace

秀才
John said:

This OCR feature just pushed me over the edge too. I bought an iPhone 3GS (to use like an iPod Touch) and have switched platforms for Pleco from PalmOS (running in Classic on the Palm Pre.) I'm loving the iPhone version of Pleco!

Great news Mike! Pleco's feature set simply sells itself; us fans barely need to evangelize. Will the OCR feature necessitate a) a new version of Pleco and if yes b) iOS 4.1? Or will it just be an add-on for 2.1.2?

dustpuppy

榜眼
Mike, if you get the feature ready by then, i'll demo it at my chinese language group on october 6th. Yes i'm planning on doing a lot of advertising :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Dr.Grace said:
This OCR feature just pushed me over the edge too. I bought an iPhone 3GS (to use like an iPod Touch) and have switched platforms for Pleco from PalmOS (running in Classic on the Palm Pre.) I'm loving the iPhone version of Pleco!

Thanks!

panamajack said:
Great news Mike! Pleco's feature set simply sells itself; us fans barely need to evangelize. Will the OCR feature necessitate a) a new version of Pleco and if yes b) iOS 4.1? Or will it just be an add-on for 2.1.2?

There'll be a new version of Pleco, yes, 2.2. OS-wise, 4.0 should be fine too but 3.x won't work since they don't have the necessary video capture APIs - since it only runs on the 3GS/4 there wouldn't really be much reason to want an earlier OS anyway.

dustpuppy said:
Mike, if you get the feature ready by then, i'll demo it at my chinese language group on october 6th. Yes i'm planning on doing a lot of advertising

Thanks!