One key for my two smartphones?

LarsMoire

Hey!

I just got me an older smartphone which runs Windows Mobile as well as my HTC Diamond.
Ill go travelling China for a month and hesitate to take my good one from my company with me on the trip.
Now - even though its a bit late - I ask myself, whether it is actually possible to install and successfully register
Plecodict on the my second device as well. I hope so cause my whole plan is based on that idea in a way ..

THANKS A LOT!

Lars

ipsi

状元
Not really. You can change the system ID to that of the one you want to take and then switch it back on return, but I'm not sure if you're allowed to change it often enough for that to work.

An alternative option would have been to bind it to the SD Card, but since the Diamond doesn't have a removeable one, you're basically out of luck.

ipsi

状元
Wait for Michael Love to answer your question. I do my best to provide answers based on what I know, but Mike's the only one here who can provide you with an official answer. :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The license only allows you to have it on one device at a time, but if you activate it initially on the old phone, we can move it over to the Diamond for you after you get back from China (as long as you uninstalling it from the old phone first). The website only lets you move it automatically every couple of months, but we're always happy to do it manually as long as you have a reasonable excuse, which you do in this case.

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

I thought there was also a way to bind the licence to a SD-Card instead of a device? Wouldn't that be a solution here?

regards
Daniel

LarsMoire

So when ill have two smartphones in the future permanently (one for my job and one for studies and travels - ill be in Asia for some time)
I could technically use my software on both devices at the same time but would cause a licence abuse on the other side, too. Correct?

In this case, is there a special fee to pay so that i can "upgrade" my license?

I dont care to uninstall the software every time but Id prefer paying some money instead of waiting for u to send me new codes each time
to use it on my handheld again. As long it is less than 99 dollars :)

Cheers and thanks for the support so far,
Lars

ipsi

状元
Note that he's using a Touch Diamond, which doesn't have a removeable card, just the 4 GB internal. Means it's a bit pontless tieing Pleco to the SD Card ID.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LarsMoire - you'd only be allowed to use it on one device at the same time, installing it on more than one at the same time would be a license violation and if we detected it you'd lose all access to future upgrades (among other things). We offer a 10% quantity discount on purchases of 2+ copies if you'd like to have it on both, but we don't offer an "upgrade" option like you describe - there's not really any way for us to tell the difference between the same person / same family / completely unrelated people so we offer the same discount for multi-copy purchases regardless.

I know Michael Love has explained how to uninstall from one and then install in a new Palm, but I can't find that post.

I just bought a palm centro so I don't need to carry my 2 1/2 year old Tungsten E2 and a mobile. I want to use Pleco on my centro.

I also intend to upgrade to 2.0.

Can someone please explain where to start? :?

Thanks in advance!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can make the switch while you're activating the 2.0 upgrade - just follow the instructions here to upgrade, installing the new software and getting your System ID on your new Centro.

Mike, I did as instructed and it works fine. I've installed most of the files on a 4GB Sandisk Class 2 micro SD card on my new palm centro - not as fast as a Class 4, I guess, but still it took only a few minutes, and everything works.
Being a big program, I guess you can't make the process any simpler, and one can't help but feel awed by it, but it works once you follow all the steps. Thanks for responding to my post and request for help. :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No problem! And yeah, there's only so much we can do to simplify the install procedure - PDAs really aren't designed to handle software or data files as large and complicated as ours.

Henry

进士
mikelove said:
( ... ) you'd only be allowed to use it on one device at the same time, installing it on more than one at the same time would be a license violation and if we detected it you'd lose all access to future upgrades (among other things). We offer a 10% quantity discount on purchases of 2+ copies if you'd like to have it on both, but we don't offer an "upgrade" option like you describe - there's not really any way for us to tell the difference between the same person / same family / completely unrelated people so we offer the same discount for multi-copy purchases regardless.

Hi Mike, I'd really appreciate it if you could try to find some way to allow licensing for multiple devices.

I'm not sure how many other people are in this situation, but I have a T|X that I use when I'm at home translating, but plan to buy a Centro just so I can have Plecodict when I'm outside (without having to carry two devices) and for help when writing text messages.

I'm hoping at some point (iPhone?) there'll be a device that is small enough to carry about and has a big enough screen that using it for long periods of time at home is not painful, but until then I was thinking that owning both a Centro and T|X is a good option... except for the obvious licensing problem.

Unfortunately the T|X and Centro do not use the same kind of flash card, so locking Pleco on the card is not an option.

Thanks, Henry

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The TX and Centro can certainly share a memory card - just get a microSD card with a full-SD adapter. The Card ID stays the same even if you put it in an adapter (we've tested this), so it's just one quick little extra step to insert it in / remove it from the adapter while you're moving it between devices.

This post does not relate to the licensing matter, but gives my impressions on Pleco2 - its installation and use since last weekend.

I had to juggle with whether to install Pleco2 on my Centro or the micro SD card. The question of how to transfer the license from my Tunsten E2 was troubling enough and so I took the easy way out by installing the license on my handheld. If I had known you had successfully tested the card installation, well, yes, I might have taken that option.

Still, I'm satisfied with my centro, despite the small screen size compared to my E2.

Mike, I don't remember in Pleco1 I could use 'Char Info'. It's very useful as I can see the pinyin, definition, cantonese, and one more item (say, TotalStrokes) at one go by pressing on the character. Wonderful. I can even improve my Cantonese with it. BTW, Char Info includes Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese as well :)

The audio is not so useful for me as I'm pretty good at knowing how it sounds from seeing the pinyin alone, but for other learners, I'm sure it's great help.

The order of strokes is useful, but I don't use it much.

I've been very happy learning Mandarin and studying to Diploma level since I bought Pleco in 2006. Then, I recognised perhaps 500 characters.

I can now not leave home without my Pleco!

Henry

进士
mikelove said:
The TX and Centro can certainly share a memory card - just get a microSD card with a full-SD adapter. The Card ID stays the same even if you put it in an adapter (we've tested this), so it's just one quick little extra step to insert it in / remove it from the adapter while you're moving it between devices.

Nice! That certainly frees up a lot of options!

A minor irritant is that the Centro requires taking the battery out to change the flash card, so maybe I'll get an older Treo instead.

Thanks, Henry

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lazylizards - thanks! Char Info is indeed new in 2.0, though you could get most of the same information in 1.0 in a more awkward interface with the free Unihan add-on database.

Henry - that is a bit annoying about the microSD slot - given that HTC has managed to make it accessible without removing the battery even in much smaller devices like the original Touch one wonders why Palm couldn't find somewhere more convenient to put it.

Henry

进士
mikelove said:
Henry - that is a bit annoying about the microSD slot - given that HTC has managed to make it accessible without removing the battery even in much smaller devices like the original Touch one wonders why Palm couldn't find somewhere more convenient to put it.

After doing more reading, I realized that you don't actually have to remove the battery, but just have to remove the battery door to access the microSD card.

Regards, Henry