Online Database

mohare6

I've got an idea for a future product, well I'm not really sure that it can be called a product, but an idea for Pleco. I really think that you should be able to have an online pleco data base of all of the flash cards that you create through your phone, ipad, or whatever you use pleco with. This way, every so often, or perhaps by your direction, the flashcards that you create on pleco will by synced the your account on the web. By doing this, if you ever switched phones from an android to an apple based product, or visa versa, lost your phone or what have you, you wouldn't need to recreate your flashcards again because they would all be stored online. Not sure whether or not this would be possible, or whether or not people would actually use it, but I personally just lost my phone, and the 7000 plus flashcards that I have created over the past half year or so, and am really wishing that my flashcards were saved somewhere.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mohare6 said:
I've got an idea for a future product, well I'm not really sure that it can be called a product, but an idea for Pleco. I really think that you should be able to have an online pleco data base of all of the flash cards that you create through your phone, ipad, or whatever you use pleco with. This way, every so often, or perhaps by your direction, the flashcards that you create on pleco will by synced the your account on the web. By doing this, if you ever switched phones from an android to an apple based product, or visa versa, lost your phone or what have you, you wouldn't need to recreate your flashcards again because they would all be stored online. Not sure whether or not this would be possible, or whether or not people would actually use it, but I personally just lost my phone, and the 7000 plus flashcards that I have created over the past half year or so, and am really wishing that my flashcards were saved somewhere.

Was your phone an iPhone? If so then they're probably still backed up on iCloud - you'd just need another iPhone / iPod / iPad in order to retrieve them.

More generally, we are looking at adding a cross-platform flashcard database backup solution (though not actual sync, at least not for now) as an offshoot of what we're doing with iCloud; the main problem is that other than iCloud we don't have a reliable online storage service for our customers in China to use. And in general we'd rather just wait for Google to add some sort of iCloud-like file sync feature to Android. (didn't happen in 4.1 but maybe 5.0...)