Optical Character Recognizer Purchased but app still thinks OCR is Demo only

Tim

Hello,

My girlfriend is studying Mandarin in Beijing and was very excited to try using Pleco on her Moto X (Android 4.4.2). She has a VPN service on her phone and downloaded the standard version of Pleco through the Google Play store while in Beijing (not the China-specific version I have seen mentioned on this site that avoids the pay-wall). After installing the Pleco app she purchased the Optical Character Recognizer through the in-app add-ons menu. The payment apparently went through and the Add-On menu recognizes that she downloaded the OCR but every time she opens it the OCR is locked to demo mode only. She has turned off/ turned on her phone multiple times but the app still thinks OCR is demo only.

I was wondering if there was a way for the support team to confirm her purchase and email her a specific unlock code or something to make the OCR recognize that it no longer is demo only. She can send an email with a screenshot of the interface or something to the support team get the conversation started if need be.

Also, if there is a step-by-step guide for restoring in-app purchases that would be great. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Tim

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sure - we don't even need the screenshot, just her email address should be enough to look up the purchase and figure out what's going on.

In general, we strongly recommend against trying to buy anything from Google Play while in China, even using a VPN - it's a much better bet to buy it directly from our online store (pleco.com/store) or from the more China-friendly Amazon AppStore; Google simply doesn't want you to buy stuff in China and has put significant effort into preventing you from doing so. So another option would be for us to cancel / refund the purchase altogether so she can buy it again from another, more China-friendly source. (again, all we need for that is an email address)

Tim

Thank you so much for your swift response! I really appreciate it. Is there a way for me to private message you her email address?