Outlier Dictionary of Chinese Characters

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Certainly, yes. (sorry, probably should have posted this in Future Products - have now moved it there)

alex_hk90

状元
Innovative new Chinese character etymology dictionary; on Kickstarter here, will be available as a Pleco add-on upon release. So we're finally fulfilling one of our very oldest feature requests and offering an etymology dictionary :)

Thanks for posting - I have pledged. :)

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for the support so far! It really means a lot to us.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or feedback related to our project!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wan

giokve

进士
You are writing it in Chinese and then translating it into English and German; does this apply to the Pleco addon? What language(s) will it be available in for Pleco?

It will be bilingual: Chinese (both simplified and traditional, toggle as usual in Pleco to switch) and either English or German (or whatever other language we're able to add later). We wanted to make something that students could grow into as their Chinese improves, and also something that native-speaking teachers can use who might be more comfortable reading Chinese but also want the information and terminology available in their students' target language.

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for the support so far! It really means a lot to us.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or feedback related to our project!

Really impressed with your project, which of course I am going to back! Imho, a nice combination of materials for "lernen" and "studieren". I wish one of your projects were a similar dictionary of combinations of characters to form pollysyllabic words.

Thanks for the kind words!

We will have a list of multi-character words (chosen by frequency) under each character entry, but that will be the extent of it.

RoFL. Just saw the email about this. I actually saw this advertised several days ago - an old Chinese teacher posted about the Kickstarter in FB and I decided to likewise share it. I'm watching the Kickstarter campaign with interest. Still a long way to go so we'll see. Am hopeful but ...

Any idea on when it'd be available on PC? I'm thinking reading character history would be better on the "big screen".

Thanks for the support!

We don't have concrete plans for a desktop version yet, though we would like to do a desktop version of some sort. We'll definitely announce if that happens.

We do still have a long way to go, but the momentum is really picking up! We were just over 31% about 15 hours ago, and now we're closing in on 44%.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
FWIW, our Android app already runs pretty well on desktops via ARC Welder, and we're putting the finishing touches on an x86 optimized version that should run considerably better still. So while not quite the same as a native desktop app it should be a decent substitute at least. We're exploring some other desktop options of our own too but that's one that we can pretty much guarantee will be available from day 1.

Async0x42

If backed on Kickstarter, will this be automatically restored when using a new iPhone device and clicking Restore Purchases?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, but we're working on automating the restoration of purchases made outside of of iTunes via CloudKit; can't promise when exactly that will be online, but we're eager to get it up and running since it will save us a massive amount of time answering customer support email :)

Async0x42

No, but we're working on automating the restoration of purchases made outside of of iTunes via CloudKit; can't promise when exactly that will be online, but we're eager to get it up and running since it will save us a massive amount of time answering customer support email :)

Okay, thanks for the headsup!

I pledged my $50, to meet the requirements to get the expert ed. actually.

What happens to the project, though, let's say if the $75,000 goal is not met?

No "license transfer" then? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wan

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Still transferrable, we actually just added code yesterday to make our iOS-to-Android transfer support transfers of post-Palm/WM-era website purchases to Android without deactivating them on iOS. CloudKit support just means that your Registration ID will be associated with your iCloud account and you'll thus be spared from manual re-entry.