Outlier Dictionary of Chinese Characters

giokve

进士
I think it should be ready by May; this is at least what I once read on their website, which at the time of this writing has been down for a few days.

Yes, we're still on track for a May release. If anything changes, we'll definitely announce it!

giokve, can you shoot me an email (john AT outlier-linguistics DOT com) and tell me the exact URL you're going to, as well as browser and OS versions? It should be up and running no problem.

giokve

进士
Well, it is working now. I tried a few times on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, and I always got a message like "We are sorry, an error has occurred. If you are the administrator, please check the logs".

dlezcano

秀才
I also would like how advanced works are. Besides the printing of posters, we really didnt get any feedback abut the actual project.

JD

状元
I supported the Kickstarter, and things went pretty silent after the PDF's of the posters were sent out. I haven't received hardcopy of the posters yet, which were part of the package I financed.

But I look at the May 2016 timeframe as being pretty much a guess. At best, it means May 31 to me. But real projcts always experience delays, and project timing is almost always wrong rather than being correct. So, my opinion is that they were over-enthusiastic in the planning.

Miguel

状元
Yes, I also supported the project and I printed the posters myself. That is why I was wondering what was going on because the website seems that has experienced some changes and still they were keeping the same deadline.

marcelbdt

秀才
I didn't get to supporting the kickstarter project before the deadline, but I'm very interested in this project, and when the product is ready I'll certainly buy it. I'm sure that there are many others who would also do that. We all know that worthwhile things normally take at least twice as long as planned, and it would not be very surprising if the time table for the outlier dictionary has been broken. It would be nice with some official statement though, and maybe a new date?

DaveIRL

"We'll make an announcement soon" posts:
Kickstarter: Apr. 28
Plecoforum: Apr. 29
Kickstarter: May 10
Twitter: May 22
Twitter: May 23
Kickstarter: May 23
Kickstarter: May 24
[Reply to a Kickstarter backer] We aren't ignoring you. We'll make an announcement on May 31st.
Please don't assume the worst. :)

Judging by the phrasing, it seems like the Outlier Dictionary project will be delayed/extended. (?)

Moro

秀才
Judging by the phrasing, it seems like the Outlier Dictionary project will be delayed/extended.

For me it sort of suggests a "last-minute-of-May" release. But maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

In any case as one of Kickstarter backers I think having a bit more transparency would not have hurt the project. After all we all want them to succeed, so even if there were some setbacks it'd be met with understanding, everybody knows things tend to take more time than we expect.

dlezcano

秀才
For me it sort of suggests a "last-minute-of-May" release. But maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

In any case as one of Kickstarter backers I think having a bit more transparency would not have hurt the project. After all we all want them to succeed, so even if there were some setbacks it'd be met with understanding, everybody knows things tend to take more time than we expect.
I absolutely agree, besides the progress of the poster prints (which I did not buy), no real updates about the actual project.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Without saying anything it's not my place to say: the lack of transparency is temporary + for a number of good reasons that should become clear once they make their announcement.

Dagann

As a backer, i would also like to have news from Outlier Linguistic Solutions.
Most of the people are understanding and will not get angry cause of a delay. Delays, well, so many projects are delayed cause of problems or last-minute improvements.
It would just be nice to let us know what is happening.