Palm or Pocket PC in Shanghai?

Hi everyone,

I am studying in Shanghai for the semester and find that I would love to use Plecodict!

However, I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase a Palm or Pocket PC - everywhere I go, I find tons of cell phones and a few electronic dictionaries with all-Chinese menus. Can someone direct me to a good place to buy a Palm or PPC PDA?

Thank you!

Amy

gato

状元
There's a shop that sells both Palms and Windows Mobiles on the first floor of Saibo Digital Plaza (赛博数码广场) on Huai Hai Middle Road near Xintiandi (新天地). It's part of Hong Kong Plaza.

Bullitt

I bought my treo at the electronics market in the bottom of the building with the big glass ball in XuJaiHui...I think it is called mei luo chen or something like that.

lmcjipo

榜眼
amyinshanghai said:
1390 rmb. It's about the same in the U.S...

Thanks. So I guess that I won't be saving any money by waiting to buy some of my electronic toys/gadgets in China. :cry:

Yeah - I think you'd be better off buying in the U.S. I've seen a number of electronic devices in Shanghai that are more expensive than back home, and it takes much more work to find something specific here.

LaoWang

秀才
I have found a Treo 680 for 3500 rmb in Shanghai. Thats at least 700 rmb cheaper then at home (not US). So I am seriously considering buying it. Only worry is that it would be fake. How to know?

chao-ren

进士
Mr Wang,
Have you tried one of the official resellers in Shanghai and asked about their price. If it is not to different from your best price, you should just buy from one of the resellers:

http://www.palm.com/cn/products/wheretobuy/resellers01.html

盈海数码/徐家汇太平洋数码广场二期地下一层B021/百脑汇地下一层B020、B125/一
层B133/021-54250003
利泽数码/淮海中路赛博数码广场172A/徐家汇139/美罗城一层A区赛达数码/021-64640637
数码梦想/淮海中路赛博数码广场128室/徐家汇太平洋数码广场二期地下一层B077/021-63908137
远洲电器/曲阳路 800 号商务中心家电城 3 楼 3311、3315/置地广场六楼/虬江路
赛格数码世界一楼3街2号/021-65538682-23072
启程数码/漕溪北路11号百脑汇1484/太平洋数码广场一期161/021-64267282

chao-ren

进士
Treo 680

Hello老王,

I got a good price from the first shop listed 。。only RMB 3100 。。盈海数码 with shanghai telephone no:021-54250003 ; but you have to go directly to their office which is located "next door" or about a few hundred meters from the shop: 天钥桥路408号,北楼,401室。

If you have trouble finding the place, just call Mr Zhen.. (I'm not sure his name).

LaoWang

秀才
Hi

Thanks for the tips. I bought at a small store inside the Techno-mall on HuaiHai rd. I had a look at several stores there which had it, nut most of them had just imported ones, from US, "cingular ones", and didn´t have chinese-input. The ones that were for the chinese market were more expensive, 3500, and that´s what I gave, as I thought "better safe then sorry".
I think Palm should have a talk with the stores on their list, it did´nt seem correct. When I asked one of them, he said "No, but I can get one" and run away picking one up fro another store. Typically chinese :)

zj

秀才
I know this thread is old but....

How much more expensive where the Chinese-input phones? How much trouble is it to add a decent Chinese input software if you do buy one of those cheaper US-market phones?

LaoWang

秀才
zj said:
I know this thread is old but....

How much more expensive where the Chinese-input phones? How much trouble is it to add a decent Chinese input software if you do buy one of those cheaper US-market phones?

I think I paid about 400 rmb extra for the chinese-input-phone.