Payment methods

Laoliang

Congratulations!

I'd like to immediately purchase Pleco. Is there any local bank account in China where the money could be transferred to? Or Alipay? Or Cash?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, lot of things to reply to today :)

We don't take any of those methods, unfortunately - we could do a wire transfer but it would have to be in USD, or if you can set up a PayPal account from your bank account that would work too. (definitely an area we're looking to improve on in general, but it's tough to do when we're legally incorporated in the US)

ipsi

状元
Unhelpful Suggestion:

You could fall prey to delusions of grandeur, pretend you're a giant multi-national and incorporate subsidiaries of Pleco in various countries across the world?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Pretty difficult to incorporate in China, as I understand it - perhaps we could work with a more China-friendly international bank, though, like HSBC; there has to be someone who could set up a domestic account for us and handle the paperwork for converting RMB etc.

radioman

状元
I thought that if you have a bank account with China Bank (for example), you could do a wire transfer AND have them flip the money to US dollars before wiring it to a US bank account. Perhaps the bigger problem is for the person doing the purchase as I think they would need to wait a few days (certainly the case for moving money from the US to China...) for the money transfer to be finalized. And depending on your level of patience and need for instant gratification, that can be a problem.

gato

状元
Just ask a friend/family member who has an international credit card to buy it for you, and you can reimburse him/her in RMB.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman - hmm, didn't know that; I'll call up BofC here in New York next week and see if they can provide some details on how that would work. We'd certainly be happy to provide that option if we can.

Laoliang

Anyone setup PayPal with a local bank account without a credit card?

As far as wiring, money transfer, there are high fees compared to the total amount.