Peco runs on older Ipod touch ?

hmh, thinking to purchase a 2nd hand ipod touch (the 2nd generation).

It is the 8 GB version, which (accordinng to the seller is NOT jailbroken und running/upgraded on/to iOS 4.01.
This device just got 128 MB RAM and no multitasking etc ...

Question:
Can I run the newest pleco edition on it ? The whole basic-Bundle without any restrictions ?
Handwriting etc - all running fine, same like newest touch or iphone ?
(Of course the ORC is out of question)

Please answer, please help, as this is my major purpose to buy an ipod touch, and with
any problems at all, I keep saving for a used 3gs iphone

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
petermeigen said:
hmh, thinking to purchase a 2nd hand ipod touch (the 2nd generation).

It is the 8 GB version, which (accordinng to the seller is NOT jailbroken und running/upgraded on/to iOS 4.01.
This device just got 128 MB RAM and no multitasking etc ...

Question:
Can I run the newest pleco edition on it ? The whole basic-Bundle without any restrictions ?
Handwriting etc - all running fine, same like newest touch or iphone ?
(Of course the ORC is out of question)

They'll certainly all work, but they're a little slower / choppier than on a newer device owing to the slower processor; having OS 4 on it doesn't help matters either since that tends to run slower than OS 3 (though upgrading to 4.1 may help somewhat). It should still be quite usable, though, and with handwriting, thanks to our use of OpenGL, stroke capture is delightfully smooth even on a very old device.

However, between its much faster processor and Retina Display, the experience on the newest iPod is certainly a lot nicer - honestly, after using one of those heavily the last few weeks I'd say for most people the extra investment is well worth it. So I'd recommend at least going into a shop and trying one of the new iPods out before settling on a used model.

Grey

I have an old gen 1 touch that I am running this on, and imo it runs great. That being said I am planning on getting a newer touch in the future just for some of the new features, however, this app does run quite well even on the first gen touch. This app is so much faster then what I have experienced with any other chinese dictionary application or translator. The only wait time I have is launching the program (5 to 10 seconds)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Grey said:
This app is so much faster then what I have experienced with any other chinese dictionary application or translator. The only wait time I have is launching the program (5 to 10 seconds)

Thanks!

The load time is difficult for us to do much about, unfortunately - we have to open a lot of files on startup, though we've been slowly updating our dictionary databases to make them load a bit faster by clustering all of the load-on-startup data in the same location in the file (reducing the number of storage accesses) - that still only boosts speed by 10-20%, though. Deleting any dictionaries / add-ons you're not using much might help matters a bit, FWIW.

gato

状元
The load time is difficult for us to do much about, unfortunately - we have to open a lot of files on startup,
Can you just load the bare minimum before showing the opening screen (while continuing to load, perhaps in a different thread)? It may not mean that the user can start using the program any quicker, but it'll look like the launch is shorter.

Have you seen this blog post below by Instapaper's Marco?
http://www.marco.org/1548306059
iOS apps display a prerendered, static image when they launch called Default.png. Developers can set it to anything they like. This is Instapaper’s:

This matches the iOS convention of showing the app’s typical interface, but empty, so it looks like it has fully loaded (before it actually has) and then the data “pops” in a second or two later. It’s a trick that the original iPhone employed to make the app launches seem faster and more responsive. The pictured interface is just a decoy: it’s a static image file that doesn’t necessarily have any relation to what the interface will actually look like when it loads.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gato said:
Can you just load the bare minimum before showing the opening screen (while continuing to load, perhaps in a different thread)? It may not mean that the user can start using the program any quicker, but it'll look like the launch is shorter.

Not really, unfortunately - we need to load every dictionary before we can display the main UI. Even more of a problem if we move towards doing a better job of returning to the last tab / previous conditions (flashcard session?) / etc in a future release.