Pleco for Android 3.1 Beta 2

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The second beta of Pleco 3.1 for Android is available. Two ways to get it this time:

a) Through Google Play. Sign up for our Android Beta Testing group at:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pleco-android-beta-testing

And then sign up for beta versions of Pleco at:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.pleco.chinesesystem

after which you should be able to get it right from them. (this isn't up yet but should be in a few hours)

b) Directly from our website; APK at:

http://cdn.pleco.com/androidapps/plecodroid-140502-310b2.apk

The Google Play version makes it easier for us to collect crash reports, so please use that one if you can.

This fixes pretty much every bug that's been reported to us in the last week, we think (or at least all of the ones we've managed to reproduce), so if something you reported in Beta 1 still isn't fixed, please let us know.

The main design change is that we've done away with the 'separate tasks' option (which everybody seemed to find annoying versus having just a single task) but added a back stack when jumping around between sections; back will still take you up within a section first, but once it gets to the top of your current section it'll take you to the previous section instead rather than kicking you right out to the main screen.

We're still tweaking this (for example it seems to act up when you run low on memory and some of your older sections are evicted) but please let us know how you feel about it in general as a navigation system. We tend to think that back=up should take precedence over a stricter back stack, one where if you switched between deeper screens via the sidebar you'd jump back between those before you went up to a higher level, but we want this to feel as natural as possible so if that's the only thing that feels natural we can certainly consider it.

We also think we've made some progress with the lag issue, but let us know if you continue experiencing lag, and if so, where specifically it seems to cause the most trouble.

Last edited:

neilperks

进士
Hi Mike,

Seems much improved on the scrolling, pretty smooth now and totally eliminated the lag for me; the sidebar retracting issue also seems resolved. Also plays the sample sentences good now without crashing.

I notice the download was 70+ mb always seem to remember it much smaller than that. Also on first run of update it downloaded another 56 mb again. I presume because it's a beta. Anyway no issue just thought I'd mention it :)

Did the installing to sd card on install get resolved ? Was going to try a fresh install, but the thought of downloading the files at BJ internet speeds again made me wait until I'm sure.

For me and my needs (more of a reference) it looks great, but others seem to use much deeper than me.

Cheers

Neil

neilperks

进士
Forgot to say, new navigation is ok, I'd just got used to the previous way which I found really good and consistent after a days use, so I'm having to adjust again :). No problem whichever.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks.

The extra 56 MB download is a mistake - forgot to tell the app that it's the Google Play version and so should look for a packet of its data files from Google rather than downloading them anew from our server; we just put up another version (available in a few hours) that should fix that.

The 70MB is the new app size, though - 18 MB of that is the (free basic) audio files, which we're now building in instead of requiring an extra download for them since we think that will actually deliver a better experience by saving people on slow connections the hassle of that extra download after they've already waited for the rest of it.

We're still debating whether it's worth dropping that (and trimming a few other areas) to get below 50 MB so that Google won't put up its "you really ought to download this via WiFi" warning, but our inclination is to keep it at 70 MB initially and only remove those files if it looks like we're losing a lot of downloads because of that change.

Re navigation, interesting that you liked the old way - increases my inclination to make this extra back stack optional (very easy to do) though I'm not sure what to make the default.

ckatt

状元
I'm still unable to start a flashcard session. I've joined Google play beta group but I can't tell if its submitting a crash reprot.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Only one crash report so far and it doesn't seem to relate to starting a flashcard session - so it crashes as soon as you try to start it? Are you given the option to submit a crash report? Which version of Android are you running?

kiraven

举人
Updating to Beta2 via Google Play reset some, but not all of my settings (it kept character color and dictionary order, but for example overwrote the setting to display Pinyin + Zhuyin.
User dictionaries working now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's normal, those were supposed to be reset in Beta 1 actually (and the failure to do that was part of the reason for the upgrade crashes).

kiraven

举人
I tried the setting to add a individual add to flashcards button for each dictionary, but nothing is displayed (or I don't notice it, as I don't know what to look for).

Taichi

榜眼
Great, the lag is gone on xperia z ultra. I sent 2 crash reports so far.
TTS is fixed, but I still can't play the extended audio (On beta 1 I managed to play it by reinstalled pleco, I haven't reinstalled beta2).
I encountered a search crash. This is gone after changing the layout (the two-pane-> one-pane -> two-pane).

kiraven

举人
side question: If unable to use the search button, what is the quickest way to jump straight to the search box?
And how are flashcard statistics calculated? Always confused me, as the card score should differ for each test type/score file, right?
If I export my database, are test types created by me exported/saved in the backup or are they stored seperately in Pleco's settings?

ckatt

状元
Only one crash report so far and it doesn't seem to relate to starting a flashcard session - so it crashes as soon as you try to start it? Are you given the option to submit a crash report? Which version of Android are you running?
I'm running 4.0.3 on my asus tf101 tablet. No i don't get any message at all when the flash card crashes, it just dumps me back to the home screen. i can organize flash cards and adjust the settings but when i tap "Begin test session" it crashes.

im also running beta 2 on my Nexus 5 now. here the flash cards are ok for the most part but one time the session failed to start after tapping begin. i then tapped the home button and i got a message that pleco had crashed but there was no option to submit a report.

ckatt

状元
I don't see a way to adjust the text size in the pop up definitions now. the text is quite tiny on my nexus5.
One other thing. I do miss being able to customize its colour. i had it set to a light yellow like a post it note. i know you wanted to reduce the number of colour options but maybe preset themes would be ok? setting the colour of the tool bars and the boarder was pointless but what if we could choose a yellow or blue option that would use a light shade for the pop up back ground and a darker one for the side bar?

wibr

进士
something goes wrong when I exit a flashcard session using the back-button, like in previous versions... I can't reenter this session, if I click on "Begin Test Session" nothing happens

santiago

举人
Pleco crashes when trying to open a file in the reader or when trying to open the clip reader. Beta 1 had this problem too, but now at least pleco allows me to select the txt file i want to read and then crashes. hope it helps
Pleco version: website apk since I am in china (wasnt there a crash report aplication I can download ?)
Coolpad 5890, Android 4.1.2

neilperks

进士
With the navigation I just got used to working with the 3 bars at the top left of the screen, provided some root, some consistency; with the new configuration the 3 bars don't mean as much (sometimes exits, sometimes not), so makes it more difficult to know where I'm at. Again just a personal thing, sure others find it different.

I like the idea of it being configurable, especially if it's fairly straight forward.

Taichi

榜眼
Is it possible to change the dictionary launcher (shortcut) to automatically focus the search box and select all the text? In that way user can always start the search by 2 tap (home button, then the dictionary launcher). It even works when the user is on other apps.

giokve

进士
Awesome, much faster and responsive than the first beta.

SENTENCES is a godsend, but what about these blank lines and non/pertinent sentences in "21st Century English-Chinese"? Blank lines pop up pretty much everywhere, while non-pertinent sentences quite often.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-03-15-40-16.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-03-15-40-16.png
    200.3 KB · Views: 525

giokve

进士
Also, I get the "no sentences found" message for words whose characters have variants, although the dictionaries clearly list some.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-03-16-30-36.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-03-16-30-36.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 494