Pleco for Android 3.1 Beta 2

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@kiraven - yeah, that one seems to be broken - thanks.

@Taichi - not sure what's going on there with extended audio, hmm - could be an issue with file versions since this is one of the few places where the Android and iOS data files still differ (on Android we use a different codec because MP3 is patented [so we can't include our own code for it] and built-in support for it isn't guaranteed on Android as it is on iOS).

@kiraven again - At the moment the best way to jump back to the search box would be through the sidebar menu. Not quite sure what you mean by "how are flashcard statistics calculated" - the score does differ for each scorefile based on your history of testing in that file. Test settings are indeed stored in your database backup file.

@ckatt - since 4.0.3 is compatible with aLogcat (unlike newer versions of Android), could you download that from Google Play, run it, get Pleco to crash again and then email us the crash report?

@Taichi again - yeah, seeing that too; some sort of keyboard focus problem I think.

@ckatt again - font size is adjusted through Settings / Fonts / Popup definition. Color themes are something we might bring back in a future update, but right now we're really trying to just get this release out ASAP so that we can turn our attention to our hotly-anticipated series of flashcard improvements.

@wibr - that's a bug in our new backtrack-between-sections code, thanks.

@santiago - yes, you can download an APK of aLogcat from this page - run it, get Pleco to crash, and send us the resulting crash report and hopefully we'll have this fixed for Beta 3.

@neilperks - yeah, my inclination after playing with it a little while is to make it configurable and probably off by default. Probably three options, actually: back always exits, back goes to Dictionary and then exits from there (which will help make it easier to get back to a search screen without fiddling around in the sidebar menu), or back goes through all of your recent tabs.

@Taichi again - that's actually what it's supposed to be doing now, so seems like another bug.

@giokve - that's a data file bug in 21C, actually. Variant search in SENTS isn't implemented yet, though we should probably at least have it fall back on the most common variant for a word when it can't find any sentence matches for the one you searched for.

Taichi

榜眼
Extended audio started to work on xperia z ultra after delete/reinstalling add-ons, not sure how to reproduce it.
To reproduce the problem, I updated pleco on another phone (xperia z) to beta2, and found extended audio not working. Then I tried following
1 killed the process
2 restarted the phone
3 deleted the cache.
4 deleted the audio pronunciation (male/female). The syllable ones.

After doing 4 (or maybe 3....), extended audio started to work.
Then I reinstalled the audio pronunciation (male/female), and see the extended audio still working.

giokve

进士
I can't get Pleco to work anymore. It crashes as soon as I try to type anything in the search box. I can browse the dictionary but if I tap on a word and search it, the app crashes. I reinstall it, restart my tablet, clear the cache etc but the problem persists. Also, I'm not sure my crash reports are being sent....

giokve

进士
I must be doing something wrong because I did a factory data reset on my tablet and I still can't use it.

General feedback. (Crashes hopefully reported via Google Play already)

I haven't been able to find a way to view History in the main dictionary screen.

It took me a bit to "see" the "Dict Stroke Chars Words Sents" line. To me, it's in a very strange position, in the "middle" of the definitions, rather than above or below them, where I would expect them. Also, they don't look like buttons, since they're the same color as the dictionary headword entries. I assume the blue color is supposed to indicate that it's "selectable"?

Also, I think the default for landscape 10" screens should be 1:3 instead of 1:2 for word:definition.

In File Reader, I chose "Open Last File" to see if it would remember files from the previous (v2) of Pleco. All it did was return to the home screen. I would have expected it to just tell me it couldn't open any, or to go to the "open file" dialog.

** EDIT **
After doing the above, Pleco won't start anymore. I don't know what to do to get it working again?

** EDIT 2 **
Full restart of TF101 didn't help, although it sat on a blank starting screen for about 30 seconds before saying it has "stopped working".

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - yeah, sounds like a file conflict then.

@giokve - do you have an external keyboard? Try deactivating that and see if that helps.

@stephanhodges - we're debating whether or not to offer a direct history button in the search screen - haven't had too many complaints about its absence on iOS but at the same time on Android we generally have more toolbar space to work with.

DICT etc is using the iOS "color = tappable" convention; it isn't as pervasive on Android, but we need it for our type design anyway (hard to indicate tappability / layers otherwise without a lot of complicated lines and boxes and textures and other things that tend to make life confusing) so we're adopting it on Android too; in fact we're considering tinting our action bar buttons too in order to make the idea more obvious. As for the 'split,' that's because we want the header to stick around in those other sections too - actually a popular feature request, and logical anyway since it provides a very useful hint about context.

Not sure about the reader crash - does it help to disable your external keyboard? What about if you delete the file that it would otherwise be trying to open?

neilperks

进士
I can't get Pleco to work anymore. It crashes as soon as I try to type anything in the search box. I can browse the dictionary but if I tap on a word and search it, the app crashes. I reinstall it, restart my tablet, clear the cache etc but the problem persists. Also, I'm not sure my crash reports are being sent....

Finding the same on my Galaxy 8.0 tablet. Just to add a bit more info. Mine is installed on my external sd card.

Also it happens whenever "anything" is placed in the search box from whatever source (tried typing, pasting, handwriting and radical input. For the last 2 it's when you press "Done" and the characters are confirmed in the search box). Entering a Chinese character happens when the characters is placed in box.

My HTC m8 is fine but that's installed on phone, not on ext sd if that makes any difference.

Tried a reinstall, but no difference.

giokve

进士
Finding the same on my Galaxy 8.0 tablet. Just to add a bit more info. Mine is installed on my external sd card.

Also it happens whenever "anything" is placed in the search box from whatever source (tried typing, pasting, handwriting and radical input. For the last 2 it's when you press "Done" and the characters are confirmed in the search box). Entering a Chinese character happens when the characters is placed in box.

My HTC m8 is fine but that's installed on phone, not on ext sd if that makes any difference.

Tried a reinstall, but no difference.

I'm no computer savvy but what baffles me is that even the factory data reset didn't help at all. I decided to go ahead with it since Pleco is likely the most important app that I have, but yeah... Hope I won't need to change my Nexus for it lol.

BTW I forgot to say I'm using Pleco on a Nexus 7.

Taichi

榜眼
In two-pane mode, Dict/Stroke/Char/Words/Sents tab is sticky. ios version doesn't have this behavior, so I guess it's a bug.

ckatt

状元
not sure what happend but i cant search in pleco anymore either. browse works and so does the ocr but useing the search with any input method crashes instantly. ive had to switch back to verson 2.4.18

Taichi

榜眼
This is just a workaround for the search crash. I managed to make it work by launching pleco from the reader shortcut to bypass the search, then go setting and toggle "Search Screen -> Two panel layout". Not sure if this work for everyone.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Funny thing about this crash is it actually seems to be happening in code that didn't change since Beta 1, so I have no idea why it's suddenly creating all of these problems. Anyway, fix soon (perhaps we should take this as a sign that releasing before the weekend is a bad idea).

@Taichi - that one's not a bug; we're actually leaning towards keeping the tabs sticky on iOS too, since it's more consistent with how things already work with a single definition screen (tab isn't reset if you scroll through entries with the up/down buttons).

kiraven

举人
Don't know why, but the hardware search button is working again for me :)

what I meant with the card statistics question: under statistics, Pleco displays average easiness, average score, score ranges, etc.. Are they a calculated average over all score files or of the score file belonging to the last active test?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, we managed to get that back in - I'm glad it's working for you.

The average is across the current scorefile, not all scorefiles.