Pleco for Android Beta 1 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This thread is specifically for bug reports - please submit other feedback / user interface suggestions / etc in the companion Feedback Thread. Thanks!

ipsi

状元
Couple of minor issues - it looks like you've made your own keyboard control or something, which suppresses the suggestion box. Fine if you're using a standard English keyboard, but if you've got a Chinese IME installed, it means there's no way for you to select which character you wanted to write. It also doesn't seem to like the Pinyin IME I have (installed purely because I can). I think it attempts to use Combining Diatrical Marks for the Pinyin, and Pleco (rather unsurprisingly) doesn't like that too much - instead of seeing wǒ, I see wo ̌ (that is, instead of the mark being on the 'o', it appears *after* the o)... Not exactly major, but still technically a bug.

That's just what I see from a first look. I don't imagine I'll be using it much, having not seriously studied Chinese in quite some time, but I'm still interested to see what you'll be doing with Pleco :)

ipsi

状元
Note: Running a Nexus One, Stock Rooted 2.3.4, Launcher Pro, Smart Keyboard Pro.

Ok, Pleco seems to work with the Google Pinyin IME, but not with Smart Keyboard, so possibly not a Pleco bug. Another note: When tapping and holding on the search input box when the focus is elsewhere (e.g. having been scrolling in the result list), the only choice I have is to Paste, but when the field has focus, tapping and holding also gives an option to change the input method.

When selecting a flashcard to view (this being cards that have been sitting on my SD Card for some time, probably a backup of my old WM flashcards), selecting a flashcard takes me to the dictionary screen for that flashcard, rather than showing me the definition for said card.

When entering in, say, 'e' into the search screen, then hitting 'Done', then hitting the 'X' button to clear the search screen, then hitting the 'Back' button, or 'Done', it doesn't reload the dictionary, and I have to change dictionaries to be able to see everything again. Tested this with PLC.

Also, the Audio feels a bit quiet - fine sitting in a room, but on a bus, or otherwise in a noisy environment, I suspect it would be a bit *too* quiet without turning it up loud enough to destroy my ears should I start music playing having forgotten to turn it back down... Not sure if this counts as a bug or not, though.

Apart from that, everything seems to work. Haven't transferred over my old license as I moved that over to my iPad a while back, and I'm not sure if it's worth making you go to the trouble of moving to Android for me. As such, I can't check the document reader, and I'm not sure if you've implemented the character breakdown (that is, showing the various components that make up a single character). OCR works, Audio plays, it picked up a couple of user dictionaries off the SD card (and may, in fact, have actually picked up an old set of all the Pleco files, thinking about it - not sure how to tell), HWR works, and is smooth enough.

andy_yang

Google Nexus One, stock Android 2.3.3 (purchased in Korea from KT).

With all the disclaimers, I half expected my phone to explode. But it didn't.....
I entered a few characters by handwriting which were all recognised and the right translation was given.

But I noticed I could no longer swipe to move from the Android home page to the other app pages, although I could press the dots at the bottom of the screen to move. So I powered down the phone and restarted and it was OK except that the wifi had to be manually reconnected. After that, so far so good. I'm not sure this is a problem with Pleco but thought I'd mention it just in case.

PS - can I simply delete the dictionaries (the demo ones) that don't work for me with no nasty outcome?

Using an HTC Desire, Android 2.2.

I use Google Pinyin on my phone to input Chinese characters. This works fine with Pleco in Portrait mode. In Landscape mode I can't type in Chinese. That is, when I start typing pinyin nothing appears.

I bought the Professional Bundle, but the 21st Century E-C dictionary is still in demo mode. I sent an email to the sales team about that.

Congratulations on the Beta! Loving it so far!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ipsi said:
Couple of minor issues - it looks like you've made your own keyboard control or something, which suppresses the suggestion box. Fine if you're using a standard English keyboard, but if you've got a Chinese IME installed, it means there's no way for you to select which character you wanted to write. It also doesn't seem to like the Pinyin IME I have (installed purely because I can). I think it attempts to use Combining Diatrical Marks for the Pinyin, and Pleco (rather unsurprisingly) doesn't like that too much - instead of seeing wǒ, I see wo ̌ (that is, instead of the mark being on the 'o', it appears *after* the o)... Not exactly major, but still technically a bug.

It's actually not our own keyboard control, we just set the flag telling the OS that we don't want suggestions; basically this is because some Android keyboards are rather aggressive about auto-correcting and we're worried that new users might find it nearly impossible to enter certain Pinyin syllables because the OS keeps trying to turn them into English words. We should probably add an option to disable that flag, though - I would tend to think that a properly-designed Pinyin IME ought to offer its list of candidate words even with the "no suggestions" flag set (just not try to auto-complete them), but if some of them interpret it differently then I suppose we need to accommodate that.

The text input box is all Google, though, so I don't know what's up with the combining diacriticals - maybe the English font on your device isn't set up to render them properly? We really should add support for automatically decoding them in our search box, though.

ipsi said:
I don't imagine I'll be using it much, having not seriously studied Chinese in quite some time, but I'm still interested to see what you'll be doing with Pleco

Ah, that explains your near-disappearance - thanks for taking a look at least :)

ipsi said:
Ok, Pleco seems to work with the Google Pinyin IME, but not with Smart Keyboard, so possibly not a Pleco bug. Another note: When tapping and holding on the search input box when the focus is elsewhere (e.g. having been scrolling in the result list), the only choice I have is to Paste, but when the field has focus, tapping and holding also gives an option to change the input method.

That's an odd one... might be that our hack to get the center hardware button to act as a "switch dictionary" command is causing trouble with its normal function. (or it may just be a generalized Android issue, not sure about that)

ipsi said:
When selecting a flashcard to view (this being cards that have been sitting on my SD Card for some time, probably a backup of my old WM flashcards), selecting a flashcard takes me to the dictionary screen for that flashcard, rather than showing me the definition for said card.

That's more of an "unimplemented feature" problem - there's no Card Info screen yet so we just pop up the dictionary definition screen since it's better than nothing.

ipsi said:
When entering in, say, 'e' into the search screen, then hitting 'Done', then hitting the 'X' button to clear the search screen, then hitting the 'Back' button, or 'Done', it doesn't reload the dictionary, and I have to change dictionaries to be able to see everything again. Tested this with PLC.

Is this with just the list and no definition or in the combined list+definition mode?

ipsi said:
Also, the Audio feels a bit quiet - fine sitting in a room, but on a bus, or otherwise in a noisy environment, I suspect it would be a bit *too* quiet without turning it up loud enough to destroy my ears should I start music playing having forgotten to turn it back down... Not sure if this counts as a bug or not, though.

That's been a recurring complaint on iOS too, actually - we should probably just go in and re-encode everything from the original WAV files at a higher volume.

ipsi said:
Apart from that, everything seems to work. Haven't transferred over my old license as I moved that over to my iPad a while back, and I'm not sure if it's worth making you go to the trouble of moving to Android for me.

Well it's really no trouble - just an automated script to reverse the Palm/WM-to-iOS change, for various reasons it's not user-accessible but it's no trouble to run it on our end

ipsi said:
As such, I can't check the document reader, and I'm not sure if you've implemented the character breakdown (that is, showing the various components that make up a single character).

The basic clipboard version of the reader is actually free - just copy a piece of text from somewhere and pull up Document Reader and you can tap on characters to look them up. Component breakdowns are included though they're a little buggy with some components (and we still need to link the various incarnations of 女/水/etc to their shared meanings)

ipsi said:
OCR works, Audio plays, it picked up a couple of user dictionaries off the SD card (and may, in fact, have actually picked up an old set of all the Pleco files, thinking about it - not sure how to tell), HWR works, and is smooth enough.

Great! I'm glad those user dictionaries are working (not something we tested much); the rest of the files wouldn't be since we're using a slightly different database format on Android than on any other platform (it's stricter about word alignments and our old format didn't ensure that everything was on a 4-byte boundary).

andy_yang said:
But I noticed I could no longer swipe to move from the Android home page to the other app pages, although I could press the dots at the bottom of the screen to move. So I powered down the phone and restarted and it was OK except that the wifi had to be manually reconnected. After that, so far so good. I'm not sure this is a problem with Pleco but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Hmm... I can't think of a reason why Pleco would cause that, but it's possible that the trick we're using to get the keyboard to appear / disappear when we want it to might cause the keyboard to stay visible (or invisible but active) when you return to the main screen... if it happens again please do let me know.

andy_yang said:
PS - can I simply delete the dictionaries (the demo ones) that don't work for me with no nasty outcome?

Yes; also, if you delete unused add-on features like handwriting / OCR / audio / stroke order the relevant buttons should disappear from the UI (so you won't be bugged by lots of DEMO messages).

murrayjames said:
I use Google Pinyin on my phone to input Chinese characters. This works fine with Pleco in Portrait mode. In Landscape mode I can't type in Chinese. That is, when I start typing pinyin nothing appears.

We'll take a look... it may be that they haven't implemented the non-take-over-the-entire-screen landscape keyboard mode correctly, we'll probably have to come up with an alternative landscape interface to deal with keyboards like that (one where the HWR/Rad/Vox/OCR options are visible all the time rather than only when the keyboard is open).

murrayjames said:
I bought the Professional Bundle, but the 21st Century E-C dictionary is still in demo mode. I sent an email to the sales team about that.

Should be fixed now, sorry about that - go into Settings / Manage Registration / Check for New Purchases to activate it.

ipsi

状元
mikelove said:
ipsi said:

It's actually not our own keyboard control, we just set the flag telling the OS that we don't want suggestions; basically this is because some Android keyboards are rather aggressive about auto-correcting and we're worried that new users might find it nearly impossible to enter certain Pinyin syllables because the OS keeps trying to turn them into English words. We should probably add an option to disable that flag, though - I would tend to think that a properly-designed Pinyin IME ought to offer its list of candidate words even with the "no suggestions" flag set (just not try to auto-complete them), but if some of them interpret it differently then I suppose we need to accommodate that.

The text input box is all Google, though, so I don't know what's up with the combining diacriticals - maybe the English font on your device isn't set up to render them properly? We really should add support for automatically decoding them in our search box, though.

It definitely renders the CDM properly in other applications - e.g. Browser, Catch Notes, GMail, etc. Just Pleco that seems go a bit funny about it. If I enter it into another application, then copy/paste to Pleco it appears correctly in the textbox, and in the document reader, but if I try to enter it directly into Pleco it doesn't work quite correctly. This is with the pinyin addon to Smart Keyboard. It doesn't actually find anything, since Pleco doesn't appear to be set up to parse CDMs correctly, but hey.

mikelove said:
ipsi said:

That's an odd one... might be that our hack to get the center hardware button to act as a "switch dictionary" command is causing trouble with its normal function. (or it may just be a generalized Android issue, not sure about that)

Actually seems like a generic Android issue - a quick check of Gmail shows the a same problem with non-focused fields.

mikelove said:
ipsi said:

That's more of an "unimplemented feature" problem - there's no Card Info screen yet so we just pop up the dictionary definition screen since it's better than nothing.

Yeah, I wondered about that, though I was a bit surprised since you're showing the definitions of the cards in the list - if I wasn't seeing the card definitions anywhere, it wouldn't be terribly surprising that selecting a card shows the dictionary screen.

mikelove said:
ipsi said:

Is this with just the list and no definition or in the combined list+definition mode?

Both.

mikelove said:
ipsi said:

That's been a recurring complaint on iOS too, actually - we should probably just go in and re-encode everything from the original WAV files at a higher volume.

That sounds like a sensible idea. It's not like it's way too quiet, but just enough that I know I'd have trouble hearing it clearly in even moderately noisy areas.

mikelove said:
ipsi said:
Apart from that, everything seems to work. Haven't transferred over my old license as I moved that over to my iPad a while back, and I'm not sure if it's worth making you go to the trouble of moving to Android for me.

Well it's really no trouble - just an automated script to reverse the Palm/WM-to-iOS change, for various reasons it's not user-accessible but it's no trouble to run it on our end

Ah? Nice and simple then. I will probably send an email around eventually.

mikelove said:
ipsi said:
As such, I can't check the document reader, and I'm not sure if you've implemented the character breakdown (that is, showing the various components that make up a single character).

The basic clipboard version of the reader is actually free - just copy a piece of text from somewhere and pull up Document Reader and you can tap on characters to look them up. Component breakdowns are included though they're a little buggy with some components (and we still need to link the various incarnations of 女/水/etc to their shared meanings)

Yeah, saw the clipboard part of the document reader - that seems to be working just fine. Will have a bit of a play with the regular one once I've transferred over my purchases.

mikelove said:
ipsi said:
OCR works, Audio plays, it picked up a couple of user dictionaries off the SD card (and may, in fact, have actually picked up an old set of all the Pleco files, thinking about it - not sure how to tell), HWR works, and is smooth enough.

Great! I'm glad those user dictionaries are working (not something we tested much); the rest of the files wouldn't be since we're using a slightly different database format on Android than on any other platform (it's stricter about word alignments and our old format didn't ensure that everything was on a 4-byte boundary).

Cool, good to know. For the record, it picked up a dictionary I'd created manually in Pleco (a bunch of Classical Grammer particles), and also a backup of my old User Dictionary. And I just (right as I'm typing this) had a force-close while viewing the old User Dictionary - attempted to view it in landscape, and Pleco had a fit. This was true only for the User C-E dictionary, and not for my custom Classical Grammer particles dictionary - that works fine in landscape. The major difference is that there are only 5 entries in my USR dictionary (100 or so, maybe, in the classical one), so maybe that makes a difference?

mikelove said:
Ah, that explains your near-disappearance - thanks for taking a look at least :)

No worries. Still interesting to see where Pleco goes, even if I'm not an active user anymore. And it's always nice to be able to show off a pretty complex application on a tiny little handheld :) Hell, maybe having it on Android will be enough to get me back into it...

garysaville

进士
Missing Characters

I'm seeing lots of missing characters and square boxes in all dictionary sentence examples, characters that I can find by searching the dictionary. So, the fonts seem to be installed. For Instance, 个 ,带 and 钱 are missing from the sentences in the definition of 你。

-RE: rebooting fixed the issue.... failed beta testing 101 :?

Re re: spoke too soon. There are still missing and incorrect characters in most sentence examples.

smeenz

秀才
Hi,m

I installed the 110527 pleco beta, and ran it, the screen went black for a few seconds, then then application crashed - 'Sorry! The application Pleco (process com.pleco.chinesesystem) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". It does this every time.

My Desire is off being repaired at the moment, so I'm using a cheap Ideos 8150 with only 256mb ram, which may be the problem, but if it did run out memory, it should probably handle that situation a bit better.

Daan

秀才
HTC Wildfire running Android 2.2.1 here, English, with Google Pinyin IME and HanWriting installed.

Excited to finally see Pleco coming to Android, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on my phone. I download all the data files (including the audio files and the additional dictionaries), put them in a folder called PlecoDict, and copied them to the root directory of my SD card. Then I downloaded the APK. Starting the app reliably causes a crash, though, and Android force-closes Pleco before it even gets to drawing anything on the screen. Here are the debug logs generated when I start Pleco:
D( 78:0x4e) Compass Start
D(18176:0x4700) Trying to load lib /data/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/lib/libplecoengine.so 0x44929bb8
D(18176:0x4700) Added shared lib /data/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/lib/libplecoengine.so 0x44929bb8
D(18176:0x4700) No JNI_OnLoad found in /data/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/lib/libplecoengine.so 0x44929bb8, skipping init
I(18176:0x4700) Could not find method android.app.Activity.invalidateOptionsMenu, referenced from method android.support.v4.app.i.a
W(18176:0x4700) VFY: unable to resolve virtual method 2: Landroid/app/Activity;.invalidateOptionsMenu ()V
D(18176:0x4700) VFY: replacing opcode 0x6e at 0x0046
W( 3740:0xe9c) mAddHtcWidgetByOtherActivity = false, mIsOpenSlideWhenLeaveLaunch = true
D(18176:0x4700) GC_FOR_MALLOC freed 5777 objects / 302464 bytes in 108ms
D( 73:0x74) startOutput() output 1, stream 3
W(18176:0x4700) Failure getting entry for 0x7f060018 (t=5 e=24) in package 0: 0xffffffb5
D(18176:0x4700) Shutting down VM
W(18176:0x4700) threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40028a00)
I(18043:0x46ff) MainSyncRequestProto: lowestBkwdConvoId: 0, highestHandledServerOp: 657162, normalSync: true
D( 103:0x70) close_akm, fd=219
D( 78:0x4e) Compass CLOSE

Here are the logs from when I first installed and started Pleco:
I( 103:0x78) /data/app/com.pleco.chinesesystem-1.apk changed; unpacking
D( 103:0x78) Caching shared lib lib/armeabi/libplecoengine.so
D( 103:0x7e) New lightsensor value:10, lcdValue:100
D( 103:0x7e) New lightsensor value:40, lcdValue:100
D( 103:0x7e) New lightsensor value:225, lcdValue:142
D( 75:0x4b) DexInv: --- BEGIN '/data/app/com.pleco.chinesesystem-1.apk' ---
I( 103:0x190) notePhoneSignalStrengthLocked: 2->3
D(17957:0x4625) DexOpt: load 267ms, verify 1084ms, opt 44ms
D( 75:0x4b) DexInv: --- END '/data/app/com.pleco.chinesesystem-1.apk' (success) ---
I( 75:0x4b) move /data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.pleco.chinesesystem-1.apk@classes.dex -> /data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.pleco.chinesesystem-1.apk@classes.dex
D( 103:0x78) New package installed in /data/app/com.pleco.chinesesystem-1.apk
D( 103:0x78) GC_FOR_MALLOC freed 44129 objects / 2558392 bytes in 387ms
D( 103:0x78) GC_EXPLICIT freed 23885 objects / 1249128 bytes in 365ms
D(17836:0x4628) action - android.intent.action.PACKAGE_ADDED
D(17836:0x4628) packageUid - 10075
W( 103:0x6f) Failure getting entry for 0x7f070000 (t=6 e=0) in package 0: 0xffffffb5
D( 3740:0x4629) get install or remove message so do change adapter
D(17653:0x462c) [36] LocalAssetCache.updateOnePackage(): No local info for com.pleco.chinesesystem
D(17830:0x4627) GC_FOR_MALLOC freed 6814 objects / 391976 bytes in 118ms
D(17830:0x4627) insert plugin size 1
D(17830:0x4627) insert plugin size 3
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837537
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837508
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837526
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837504
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837559
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837504
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130838048
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130838115
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837559
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837558
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837528
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837690
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837552
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837565
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837565
W( 3740:0x4629) info.icon:2130837579
D( 3740:0x4629) text : Get more HTC widgets
D( 3740:0xe9c) GC_EXPLICIT freed 16197 objects / 890640 bytes in 168ms
D(17823:0x459f) GC_EXPLICIT freed 107 objects / 9064 bytes in 141ms
D(17830:0x45a6) GC_EXPLICIT freed 3428 objects / 184376 bytes in 107ms
D(17965:0x462d) Trying to load lib /data/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/lib/libplecoengine.so 0x447f1ab0
D(17965:0x462d) Added shared lib /data/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/lib/libplecoengine.so 0x447f1ab0
D(17965:0x462d) No JNI_OnLoad found in /data/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/lib/libplecoengine.so 0x447f1ab0, skipping init
I(17965:0x462d) Could not find method android.app.Activity.invalidateOptionsMenu, referenced from method android.support.v4.app.i.a
W(17965:0x462d) VFY: unable to resolve virtual method 2: Landroid/app/Activity;.invalidateOptionsMenu ()V
D(17965:0x462d) VFY: replacing opcode 0x6e at 0x0046
D( 103:0x7e) New lightsensor value:90, lcdValue:142
D(17965:0x462d) GC_FOR_MALLOC freed 5786 objects / 302808 bytes in 100ms
D( 103:0x7e) New lightsensor value:160, lcdValue:142
D( 73:0x74) startOutput() output 1, stream 3
I( 73:0x64) Routing audio to Speakerphone
I( 73:0x64) doAudioRouteOrMute() device 1, mMode 0, mMicMute 1
D( 73:0x64) msm72xx_enable_audpp: 0x0007
W(17965:0x462d) Failure getting entry for 0x7f060018 (t=5 e=24) in package 0: 0xffffffb5
D(17965:0x462d) Shutting down VM
W(17965:0x462d) threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40028a00)
D( 103:0x70) SkScalerContext_mFont: not mFont
D( 103:0x258) close_akm, fd=150
I( 103:0x1e0) notePhoneSignalStrengthLocked: 3->2
I(17965:0x462d) Sending signal. PID: 17965 SIG: 9
W( 103:0x77) Unable to open /proc/17965/status
D( 103:0x191) open_akm, fd=193
D( 78:0x4e) Compass Start
D(17972:0x4634) Trying to load lib /data/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/lib/libplecoengine.so 0x447f1bb8
D(17972:0x4634) Added shared lib /data/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/lib/libplecoengine.so 0x447f1bb8
D(17972:0x4634) No JNI_OnLoad found in /data/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/lib/libplecoengine.so 0x447f1bb8, skipping init
W( 3740:0xe9c) mAddHtcWidgetByOtherActivity = false, mIsOpenSlideWhenLeaveLaunch = true
I(17972:0x4634) Could not find method android.app.Activity.invalidateOptionsMenu, referenced from method android.support.v4.app.i.a
W(17972:0x4634) VFY: unable to resolve virtual method 2: Landroid/app/Activity;.invalidateOptionsMenu ()V
D(17972:0x4634) VFY: replacing opcode 0x6e at 0x0046
D(17972:0x4634) GC_FOR_MALLOC freed 5808 objects / 303584 bytes in 117ms
D( 73:0x5e4f) startOutput() output 1, stream 3
W(17972:0x4634) Failure getting entry for 0x7f060018 (t=5 e=24) in package 0: 0xffffffb5
D(17972:0x4634) Shutting down VM
W(17972:0x4634) threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40028a00)
D( 103:0x70) close_akm, fd=193

If you need any more information on my configuration, or would like me to try possible solutions, just let me know.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ipsi said:
It definitely renders the CDM properly in other applications - e.g. Browser, Catch Notes, GMail, etc. Just Pleco that seems go a bit funny about it. If I enter it into another application, then copy/paste to Pleco it appears correctly in the textbox, and in the document reader, but if I try to enter it directly into Pleco it doesn't work quite correctly. This is with the pinyin addon to Smart Keyboard. It doesn't actually find anything, since Pleco doesn't appear to be set up to parse CDMs correctly, but hey.

Might be that we're not dealing with suggestions / text injected in the middle of a word correctly, then; we'll do some testing here, sounds like it should be easy enough to reproduce.

ipsi said:
Actually seems like a generic Android issue - a quick check of Gmail shows the a same problem with non-focused fields.

Ah, good to know.

ipsi said:
Cool, good to know. For the record, it picked up a dictionary I'd created manually in Pleco (a bunch of Classical Grammer particles), and also a backup of my old User Dictionary. And I just (right as I'm typing this) had a force-close while viewing the old User Dictionary - attempted to view it in landscape, and Pleco had a fit. This was true only for the User C-E dictionary, and not for my custom Classical Grammer particles dictionary - that works fine in landscape. The major difference is that there are only 5 entries in my USR dictionary (100 or so, maybe, in the classical one), so maybe that makes a difference?

Could be - could you possibly email me a copy of the problem dictionary? And/or send me the crash log? Off the top of my head I can't think of any reason why the system would choke on a 5-entry dictionary but it might be something specific to the dictionary that's giving it fits.

garysaville said:
I'm seeing lots of missing characters and square boxes in all dictionary sentence examples, characters that I can find by searching the dictionary. So, the fonts seem to be installed. For Instance, 个 ,带 and 钱 are missing from the sentences in the definition of 你。

-RE: rebooting fixed the issue.... failed beta testing 101

Re re: spoke too soon. There are still missing and incorrect characters in most sentence examples.

Might be a font file issue - we load custom fonts to render Pinyin since the built-in ones on most Android devices don't include boldface 1st/3rd tone characters. This is with stock firmware on your Desire Z, right? Does it seem to be the same characters missing in every dictionary entry or does it vary from entry to entry?

smeenz said:
I installed the 110527 pleco beta, and ran it, the screen went black for a few seconds, then then application crashed - 'Sorry! The application Pleco (process com.pleco.chinesesystem) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". It does this every time.

My Desire is off being repaired at the moment, so I'm using a cheap Ideos 8150 with only 256mb ram, which may be the problem, but if it did run out memory, it should probably handle that situation a bit better.

Daan said:
HTC Wildfire running Android 2.2.1 here, English, with Google Pinyin IME and HanWriting installed.

It sounds like the problem here is that you're both using devices with "small" screen sizes - we haven't worked out a UI design for those yet. (per the beta description page, "It also won't work on small-form-factor devices (screen size "small").") The specific error is that it's trying to figure out how tall the toolbar is supposed to be and the application resources don't have any information on the correct size for that screen.

According to http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/screens.html only 3.2% of Android devices use that screen size, so I'm surprised to already see two bug reports on them (there were hardly any small-screen devices reported in the "post your current device" thread), but now that we know you're out there we'll try to whip up some sort of a temporary interface design for them the next beta (which shouldn't be too far away); since it is an obscure form factor it's great to have two people testing on it, just not something we were expecting.

smeenz

秀才
mikelove said:
It sounds like the problem here is that you're both using devices with "small" screen sizes - we haven't worked out a UI design for those yet. (per the beta description page, "It also won't work on small-form-factor devices (screen size "small").") The specific error is that it's trying to figure out how tall the toolbar is supposed to be and the application resources don't have any information on the correct size for that screen.

Lol. This little thing only cost me $NZ 199, and it does 95% of what the Desire does, except with a smaller screen, lower res camera, and slower CPU. Ironically, I have more free space on this than I did on the Desire, as HTC's Sense isn't hogging it all. Perhaps Pleco could better handle the situation, with something like "Sorry, you need a higher resolution screen", or even something in the installer that checks hardware capabilities meet your minimum requirements ?

Edit: Actually, I've just read the link you provided above, and the resulting link to http://developer.android.com/guide/prac ... pport.html, which goes on to talk about how android scales applications to work on any sized screen, and how developers can optimize the display to work on particularly small or large displays. That suggests to me that it should actually work, even if things get scaled a little non-optimally, rather than crash ?

JRyn

My droid is Samsung Captivate i897 ,but flashed with I9000 version 2.2.1 firmware, 2.6.32.9 hardcore@speedmod-i897 kernel.

My minor problem for this free pack, excluding have to force it close some time, is there are only 4 buttons :Defn,字Info,Stroke and Words in the definition screen not 5 buttons as in your screenshot belows. the "Chars" button disappears. I don't know whether this is a Bug or just wrong setting?

screen8.png

I downloaded and installed all of the zip files on the phone, but when I go to pleco.com/getandroid, I get the following error message: "Parse Error: There is a problem parsing the package." It is a HTC Legend 2.2

LaoYou

Using: HTC Desire Z
Android version: 2.2.1

In dictionary if I search for something, mybe Dog, I get a list of words including dog.
I then tap one, mybe Gou, and it opens a explination of the word Gou.
I then tap the chinese character and I get at pop-up where I can switch between different dictionarys.
If I then tap the chinese character in this pop-up the program com.pleco makes a "unexpected stop" and crashes.

/LaoYou

Using: Nexus S 4G
Android: Vanilla 2.3.4

1.) When making changes is the "Settings -> Dictionary -> Main Screen Interface" I have to back all the way out of Pleco and re-enter it before the changes are reflected.
2.) When scrolling in the "definition" window, if I reach the top or bottom the expected Gingerbread orange shading appears to show I'm at the top or bottom of a list. If I scroll in the list of dictionary words window and reach the top or bottom, a very artifact-y version of the orange shading appears.
3.) You mentioned to someone earlier that the "import" feature for Flashcards is off right now because the new Flashcard system will have more verbose options. Does that mean we should start rebuilding our Flashcard libraries or wait until that feature is enabled?

Other than the Flashcard review system not being enabled yet (my main use for Pleco) and the interace not being beautified yet, it's looking very strong.

Thanks,
Chris