Pleco for Android Beta 8 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
As usual, we'd love to hear about any previously-reported bugs that are still present in Beta 8 as well. Thanks!

Looking at history, all the entries are now present. But, English entries (on the Dict tab) ASUS 10.1 Tablet, are much larger font than the Chinese entries. Headword is much larger, etc.

Not sure how to get a screen shot on this tablet, sorry.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
Looking at history, all the entries are now present. But, English entries (on the Dict tab) ASUS 10.1 Tablet, are much larger font than the Chinese entries. Headword is much larger, etc.

Not sure how to get a screen shot on this tablet, sorry.

Have you configured English-Chinese list items to display in a different way from Chinese-English ones (in Settings / Dictionary / Main Screen Interface)?

It looked bigger because I compared (in my mind) with the Chinese pinyin size. I guess it's actually smaller than the Chinese characters.

But, English definitions are showing many more than the "3" lines in the configuration. (I have the word "creature" in my history list NWP. It is showing 7 lines plus 1 line of "Last viewed 1/13/2012 15:30". That doesn't match up with the configuration. NWP has 9 lines of definition when I tap on it.

I am using portrait mode. Below are listed portrait mode settings.

None of the Chinese history entries are showing more than 2 lines of definition. jie2shu4 (termination) is the word above in history. Showing only 1 bullet point line. Tapping it shows a different format (one bullet per line) CC. All the items fit on one line on history. I like the "condensed" format in the history.

BTW, opening a history definition for a word in USR, then deleting the USR dictionary entry (it was a proper name), and then returning still shows the entry as belonging to USR. Also, it was a flashcard. Don't see a way on that screen to delete the flashcard at same time?
===========================
English Chinese
---------------------
List Layout
Head/Defn
Headword font size
Pronunciation font
Definition font
Max # lines

Chinese - English
----------------
List layout
head / Pron / Defn
Headword font
Pronunciation font
Definition font
Max # lines

Different item.

On history list, again, I clicked "Reader" and found an entry (huo2gai1 serve sb. right ABC). The History list says "MISSING MISSING This dictionary is not currently installed. Last viewed 1/14/2012 12:06 (before upgrade). Tapping on it DOES show the entry, with ABC, but I don't know if that means history is messed up, or if it automatically switches to a different dictionary.

I have many other "MISSING" entries under the "Reader" tab as well. UPDATE: Ok, I tapped them all. They are all the same word "huo2gai1" Strange!

All other history lists do not have any problems that I can see. I really like the multiple history lists!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
It looked bigger because I compared (in my mind) with the Chinese pinyin size. I guess it's actually smaller than the Chinese characters.

But, English definitions are showing many more than the "3" lines in the configuration. (I have the word "creature" in my history list NWP. It is showing 7 lines plus 1 line of "Last viewed 1/13/2012 15:30". That doesn't match up with the configuration. NWP has 9 lines of definition when I tap on it.

Good catch - it looks like we're not adjusting history list parameters based on entry language; fixed for the next release. Thanks for your persistence on this.

stephanhodges said:
BTW, opening a history definition for a word in USR, then deleting the USR dictionary entry (it was a proper name), and then returning still shows the entry as belonging to USR. Also, it was a flashcard. Don't see a way on that screen to delete the flashcard at same time?

There isn't one at the moment - we tend to view that as a sufficiently destructive action (since you lose the card's statistics too) that we'd rather not have it happen without people specifically deciding to do it; you could easily decide to delete a user dictionary entry but want to keep the card / remap it to another dictionary.

As far as deleting a USR entry from history when it's deleted from the dictionary, that's kind of obscure / complicated to change so for now I think we'll just make sure it doesn't crash when it points to a deleted entry.

stephanhodges said:
On history list, again, I clicked "Reader" and found an entry (huo2gai1 serve sb. right ABC). The History list says "MISSING MISSING This dictionary is not currently installed. Last viewed 1/14/2012 12:06 (before upgrade). Tapping on it DOES show the entry, with ABC, but I don't know if that means history is messed up, or if it automatically switches to a different dictionary.

I have many other "MISSING" entries under the "Reader" tab as well. UPDATE: Ok, I tapped them all. They are all the same word "huo2gai1" Strange!

That's a leftover from Beta 7, I think - Beta 7 had a bug that added garbage entries to the reader history when you tapped on > in the reader. If you clear the history then you shouldn't see any more of these appear.

stephanhodges said:
All other history lists do not have any problems that I can see. I really like the multiple history lists!

Thanks! We should have added that a long time ago - expecting it to very popular on iOS too.

mayingken

OCR fails to detect any Chinese characters. By that I mean when the camera focuses on a Chinese character but no list of possible matching characters is shown.

I am using HTC Desire with Android 4.0.3 (Yes, I know it's a beta ROM)

I was going through and clearing each of the history tabs, from left to right (ASUS TF101 tablet) in landscape mode.

After pressing on OCR and then selecting "Clear" from the menu, the next tab "Search" was already cleared when I went to it. It did have entries, since I had just looked at all the tabs before starting.

I then tried to clear the "Cards" history, but it said it couldn't do that. I don't really understand that. If this is just a history list, then seems like I could clear the history of what the last "xx" cards were?

On that topic, how big is each history list anyway? Is that configurable?

Anyway, back to clearing... After trying to clear Cards, I then selected Search again (still clear), and then selected OCR, which then showed all the entries (as if it hadn't been cleared). I suspect that although the screen was cleared when I first pressed OCR and then "Clear", it actually cleared the Search list (see above). That would explain the behavior when first going "left to right" and then back "right to left". Of course, I'm just enjoying some idle speculation. :D

I had also come across a minor grammatical error in one of the configuration screens. An extra word if I recall. But, I can't find it now :(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mayingken said:
OCR fails to detect any Chinese characters. By that I mean when the camera focuses on a Chinese character but no list of possible matching characters is shown.

I am using HTC Desire with Android 4.0.3 (Yes, I know it's a beta ROM)

Probably a buggy camera driver in that particular ROM - we've seen this on a number of the ICS beta ROMs. Does video recording work correctly on your phone? If you point me to which specific ROM you're using we can verify that that's the source of the problem.

stephanhodges said:
After pressing on OCR and then selecting "Clear" from the menu, the next tab "Search" was already cleared when I went to it. It did have entries, since I had just looked at all the tabs before starting.

Ah, a leftover from when it was just "Entries" and "Searches" and they were cleared together - thanks, we'll separate those "Clear" functions in the finished release.

stephanhodges said:
I then tried to clear the "Cards" history, but it said it couldn't do that. I don't really understand that. If this is just a history list, then seems like I could clear the history of what the last "xx" cards were?

No, because it's not actually a history in that case - all it's doing is fetching a list of your most recently modified cards from your flashcard database. So we can't clear it without deleting those cards.

stephanhodges said:
On that topic, how big is each history list anyway? Is that configurable?

1000 entries each. And no, at the moment it's not configurable.

stephanhodges said:
I had also come across a minor grammatical error in one of the configuration screens. An extra word if I recall. But, I can't find it now

Well if you think of it, please let me know :)

Thanks for the explanation about flashcard history. Just a suggestion that you could expand the "error" message that comes up when clicking on "Clear" under flashcard history to explain that it's just a list of the last cards... I don't know how often you might be answering this question, so no idea if it's worth even editing the text, adjusting the message box appearance, etc. at this point :) I realize not everyone has a large format tablet.

mayingken

mikelove said:
Probably a buggy camera driver in that particular ROM - we've seen this on a number of the ICS beta ROMs. Does video recording work correctly on your phone? If you point me to which specific ROM you're using we can verify that that's the source of the problem.

Hi Mike,
This is the ROM I have installed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1355660
Actually yes, it DOES list that the video recording is a bit "choppy"

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
Thanks for the explanation about flashcard history. Just a suggestion that you could expand the "error" message that comes up when clicking on "Clear" under flashcard history to explain that it's just a list of the last cards... I don't know how often you might be answering this question, so no idea if it's worth even editing the text, adjusting the message box appearance, etc. at this point :) I realize not everyone has a large format tablet.

Good point, we'll do that.

mayingken said:
Hi Mike,
This is the ROM I have installed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1355660

OK, downloading it now - thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mayingken said:
Hi Mike,

OK, we can now confirm that it's some sort of a bug in the ROM - it doesn't seem to support the standard Android interface for retrieving frames of video and doing stuff with them. If you want to write the developers you can tell them that Camera.setPreviewCallbackWithBuffer is the method that's broken - we call it and it doesn't actually start doing callbacks (and doesn't log any callback-related errors). It may be checking the video buffer size incorrectly, expecting more memory than the Android specs specify that applications should provide.

popup in ABC is messed up

When I try to screenshot this error, the popup gets dismissed, so here's how to reproduce it:

Look up an English word.
Go to the hit in ABC dictionary.
In that entry, click on any of the hanzi to bring up the popup window.
The popup is always obscured in a messed up way on my Galaxy Note in portrait mode.

mayingken

mikelove said:
OK, we can now confirm that it's some sort of a bug in the ROM - it doesn't seem to support the standard Android interface for retrieving frames of video and doing stuff with them. If you want to write the developers you can tell them that Camera.setPreviewCallbackWithBuffer is the method that's broken - we call it and it doesn't actually start doing callbacks (and doesn't log any callback-related errors). It may be checking the video buffer size incorrectly, expecting more memory than the Android specs specify that applications should provide.

Hi Mike,
I could not get in touch with the developer but I found this info in the FAQ on his website that might be of interest:
<quote>
Camera questions

Why isn't camera working and when will it be ready?

Camera isn't working because first we need full HW support. Another thing we need is a 3.0 kernel.
We don't know when this is done, it's really hard work so we can't set a date or time on it.
We're working on it everyday, so there is no point in stating that it would be your daily ROM if we have it fixed. We're doing the best we can.
</quote>

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: popup in ABC is messed up

JimmyTheSaint said:
Look up an English word.
The popup is always obscured in a messed up way on my Galaxy Note in portrait mode.

Are you sure you're using Beta 8 and not an earlier version? Could you be a little more specific about how it's obscured? It looks fine on a simulated Galaxy Note here (we don't have a real one yet as they're currently only available in the US as an $800 gray-market import). Is the bubble too small or is something else covering it up?

mayingken said:
Camera isn't working because first we need full HW support. Another thing we need is a 3.0 kernel.
We don't know when this is done, it's really hard work so we can't set a date or time on it.
We're working on it everyday, so there is no point in stating that it would be your daily ROM if we have it fixed. We're doing the best we can.

Ah, that explains it then - good to know, thanks.

mikelove said:
JimmyTheSaint said:
Look up an English word.

Are you sure you're using Beta 8 and not an earlier version?

Yes, b8. Here's a screenshot of what results when I follow the above steps:

Attachments

• SC20120119-202922.png
    SC20120119-202922.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 840

mfcb

状元
copied to clipboard from QQ, reader pops up (clipboard monitor), i saved the sentence to file (UTF-8), after saving, LAST CHARACTER MISSING... dont know if its important, directory saved to is on external_sd...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

JimmyTheSaint said:
Yes, b8. Here's a screenshot of what results when I follow the above steps:

Ah, that explains it - you're using a very small font and you've turned off "separate parts," so characters appear a lot higher up than they normally would.

Rearranging the screen so that the characters would be farther down is a little too complicated to do for the first official release, but we can do for now is make the bar partially transparent when the bubble is behind it - that way it'll look a little less weird at least (and you'll be able to see the text).

mfcb said:
copied to clipboard from QQ, reader pops up (clipboard monitor), i saved the sentence to file (UTF-8), after saving, LAST CHARACTER MISSING... dont know if its important, directory saved to is on external_sd...

Can't seem to reproduce this here... you're very sure that it copied out of QQ correctly, right? So it showed up like it was supposed to in the reader?

Also, what's the status of that beta 7 bug you reported? Were you in fact using that C-E full-text fallback option?

mfcb

状元

mikelove said:
Can't seem to reproduce this here... you're very sure that it copied out of QQ correctly, right? So it showed up like it was supposed to in the reader?

Also, what's the status of that beta 7 bug you reported? Were you in fact using that C-E full-text fallback option?
yes, even the file, when opened with other tools contains that last character, just in the reader it does not show...
shall i send the file to you?

and yes, i had (and still have) that option on, i can live with its side effects...