Pleco Mover Mess

Mike,
I had been beta testing months ago, and I updated everything except PlecoMover when the most recent version (2.0.1) came out (it was an oversight on my part that Mover wasn't updated). So, today, I updated to the most recent version of PlecoMover 2.0.0, immediately started PlecoMover, and backed up my "Active user database files:"...the only option for backup listed was "Backup to SD Card" (there was no Backup to Internal for Hotsync button) and I overwrote one file without thinking too much of it.

Then I opened Pleco and all my flashcards are gone. I need to restore them from somewhere.
Here are the options from the "Restore" tab:
(tell me if there are any I can delete, because it is terribly cluttered)
tmp_ImM0mvqFLNTNFhv (8/25/08)
tmp_aababcbbabbcacb (3/23/09)
PlecoCUser4899113E (3/23/09)
PlecoCUser489430AF (3/23/09)
(SD)PPlecoCUser489430A (4/20/09)
(SD)PlecoFlash (8/21/08)
(SD)PlecoCUser4899113E (3/19/09)
(SD)PPlecoCUser489430AF (4/20/09)
(SD)Heisig Remembering Hanzi (4/20/09)
(SD)Remembering HanZi (4/20/09)

The last two in the list are two versions of the same user-created dictionary that I made. One could probably be deleted, but I'm not sure which. Any thoughts about which to restore and which to keep as backups and which to delete?

The files listed under the "Backup" tab (just so you know what would be overwritten:
PPlecoCUser489430A (3/24/09)
PlecoFlash (4/20/09)
Heisig Remembering Hanzi (3/24/09)
PPlecoCUser489430AF (3/23/09)
Heisig Remembering Hanzi(3/24/09)
PPlecoCUser489430AF (3/23/09)
Remembering HanZi (3/24/09

Complicated? Yes. Hope you can help simplify. Why can't the backup from Hidden Int to Internal memory happen automatically when Pleco exits or when a flashcard session ends or something. The current method is sufficient, but a little cumbersome. I probably won't touch it until I hear from you for fear of overwriting something.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Backing up to internal memory on every session exit would take way too long, unfortunately, not to mention very quickly eating up the available memory on 32MB devices like the Tungsten E2 / Treo 650. I've said many times now that it was a mistake to use SQLite on Palm, but since we do, we're unfortunately stuck with the awkwardly-stored flashcard databases.

As far as your immediate situation, though, it looks like the "PlecoFlash" file on your SD card is the one that Pleco's currently using, so since the SD card is the lowest-priority of the three places Pleco potentially stores flashcard databases, if you restore that PlecoFlash file under "Backup," that should hopefully get your flashcards back without overwriting anything.

With stuff to clear out, those tmp_files can definitely be deleted, but the other files I'm not so sure about - the best bet would probably be to back up everything on the SD card, then try removing dictionaries from it one-at-a-time and see which ones go missing in Pleco.