PlecoDict for Pocket PC Beta 1 Bug Report Thread

petert

Scroll and tap problem

When I scroll down the word list and tap a word, instead of the word being selected, the list goes back to the top and the first word ("a" in English) is selected. This only seems to happen after at least one word has been looked up in the text box in the current session, and only when the list is scrolled down to pick a word. When the list has been scrolled upwards and a word tapped, this problem doesn't seem to occur. Holding the stylus for at least a second or so on a word stops this occuring.

Device is an Imate Jam.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... we saw this problem here earlier (it's actually about 80% Microsoft's fault) but we were pretty sure we had a workaround - I guess it doesn't work on i-mates. Is the list still on the right side of the screen or did you move it somewhere else? And have you changed any of the Preferences settings from their defaults?

Thanks for the bug report.

sfrrr

状元
Mike--can we use the add-on dictionaries with this beta? I seem to remember you said we wouldn't be able to yet, but I'm not certain.

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh yes, they'll work fine - the Pocket PC version uses the exact same format for fixed dictionary databases that the Palm version does, so just copy the database files to your memory card and PlecoDict should see them.

petert

Yes, the list is still on the right side of the screen, and the problem occurs with the default settings.

There is also an issue when entering text to search. This seems to only occur when entering text quickly, with the searching lagging well behind the entry. As text is entered, words that are the closest match are selected. For the word "hello" with the NWP dictionary, these words would be haberdasher, he, helical, hell, hello. When I enter "hello" very quickly, these words are displayed again in reverse order as if I was deleting the characters I just typed, ending back with haberdasher as the selected word, although "hello" is still in the entry box.

I should add that besides these minor issues, this is a fantastic dictionary!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In that case we might have to get an i-mate JAM in here to test on - at the moment we mostly use iPAQs and Axims and it's not a problem on any of them (or on Microsoft's PPC emulator). Pocket PCs don't vary nearly as much as Palms do, but we really should have at least one Phone Edition device in here for testing.

And we ran into this search issue as well, but in our testing at least it seemed like the only way to set off the problem was to connect a physical keyboard to your Pocket PC and type really really quickly on it, so we didn't make it a very high priority to get it fixed. But if you're seeing this in ordinary usage then we definitely need to get it fixed.

Thanks again for the feedback.

mai

秀才
Hi Mike, hi Peter,

I'm using a Dopod 818 which is the chinese version of the I-Mate Jam and tried to reproduce the errors you encountered but everything is working quite fine. I'm at the moment using the demo version though.

But there seems to be a problem with the landscape mode. PlecoDict is cutting off part of the toolbar.

Mai

A

Anonymous

Not all strokes visible on Samsung i730

Hi. I am using PlecoDict on a Samsung i730 and some chinese characters display with missing strokes. During installation I also received a message that the software might not function properly because it was designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile software.

A

Anonymous

Re: Not all strokes visible on Samsung i730

This problem appeared more in the DEMO. Now that I have bought the full version, I don't seem to be having the problem.

Anonymous said:
Hi. I am using PlecoDict on a Samsung i730 and some chinese characters display with missing strokes. During installation I also received a message that the software might not function properly because it was designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile software.

petert

I experimented a bit after seeing Mai's post and it seems the problem with the word list returning to the top after a short tap only seems to happen when I have the Block Recogniser input active.

sfrrr

状元
mikelove said:
Oh yes, they'll work fine - the Pocket PC version uses the exact same format for fixed dictionary databases that the Palm version does, so just copy the database files to your memory card and PlecoDict should see them.

Mike--I am about to load everything onto my Axim X50V. What a great weekend this is going to be.

Thanks, thanks, thanks,
Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mai - thanks for the feedback. Could you be a little more specific about what you mean by cutting off part of the toolbar? Does it go blank after a certain point or is there a button that's only partially visible because it's cut off by the edge of the screen?

Guest - this is probably an issue with the freeware font we use in the demo version - it's not bad, but the SimSun font we use in the paid version is significantly better. But could you possibly give me some examples of characters you saw with missing strokes? We don't want people trying out our software to think there's a problem when there really isn't one, so if some characters aren't even drawing correctly then it would probably be best to bring up a warning message of some kind the first time people run the demo version.

petert - many thanks for figuring this out, I'm definitely seeing the problem here with Block Recognizer enabled. (it also seems more prone to setting off the backwards search problem you mentioned earlier) So we should have no trouble fixing this now.

petert

Mike,

On my Jam, if I change to landscape mode while Plecodict is running, about 25% of the toolbar at the right is cut off, just white. Starting Plecodict when in landscape mode works fine.

Peter

mai

秀才
Same on my machine. Here is a screenshot of Pleco Dict in landscape mode on the Dopod:

screen001.png

Mai

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... that's odd, it's resizing the rest of the screen perfectly normally but for some reason the toolbar is staying at the old size. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, though. Thanks for the detailed report.

A

Anonymous

Loading and loving it

Hi Mike, finally got it loaded after a long run of "insufficient space" errors that really threw me. I was trying to load onto a 1GB SD card with heaps of space ... I tried to get around it by removing as much as I could from the machine (including my other Chinese dictionaries and flash card programs) but nothing worked.

I think the issue was actually with ActiveSync rather than a space issue however.

I noticed my iPAQ 2210 was powering off during the load process - and found that the auto turn off feature was selected for 10 mins on external power: when I disabled this and the ppc remained on - "bing" it worked.

I then played a bit and purchased the full version - all upgrade links worked perfectly - I am now in "learning" mode. PlecoDict is significantly different to previous PPC dictionaries I have used - I am not sure I have quite got my head around your input paradigm.

Nonetheless, the CE-Star Chinese IME that I use works perfectly as an input editor in both Chinese and English modes ...

Will post more on return from my imminent trip to Aus

A

Anonymous

PPC configuration

If you are interested the config for my "test bed" is an iPAQ 2210 (Australian version), running
Processor: Intel PXA255
ROM version: 1.10.07 ENG
OS Version: Windows CE 4.20

and a 1GB SanDisk (might not be original SanDisk) SD card.

I occassionally use a CF WiFi card and often swap batteries while on the road.

I also have spb Diary, Weather and Today plug ins running all the time.