"'PlecoDict' is not a valid Pocket PC application"

b_s

This is the message I am getting, having used Pleco on my O2 XDA2 Mini for more than a year.

Since the last 2 or 3 days, and without any change on my device, my tries to launch Pleco resulted in 90% 'nothing/Mini freezed', 5% this dialog box "'PlecoDict' is not a valid Pocket PC application", and the remaining 5% a successful launch.

I have been soft-resetting about 20 times today to try to launch it, without any success so far. Last successful launch was yesterday evenig after several vain attempts.

What's going on???

Thx.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's weird... sounds like a corrupted data file, the "not a valid Pocket PC application" error would come up before any actual PlecoDict code is run which makes it doubtful that it's a bug in our software. So your best bet would be to reinstall; go to Start \ Settings \ Remove Programs, remove any PlecoDict items listed in there (don't worry, this shouldn't affect your flashcard / user dictionary files as long as you haven't moved them out of My Documents), and then install the software again.

b_s

Thanks for the comment.

I downloaded "pccomplete103" and started the installation on my laptop, choosing to install on my SD Card... A dialog box "Installing applications (Installing PlecoDict Oxford E+C Dicitonary)" appears, but the progression bar is not moving from a millimeter.

I am :? .
Everything worked fine when I last (actually the first and only time) installed the software. What's wrong now?

Hints welcome. :roll:

b.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That sounds like an out-of-memory error - did you make sure to uninstall PlecoDict first before you tried installing it again? How much free storage space is there in your Pocket PC's memory? And how much on your storage card (if any)? You can check this by going to Start \ Settings \ System \ Memory.

b_s

Thanks!
It was related to memory indeed... but on the SDcard. For some weird reason, it has been damaged and went from being readable to partially non accessible and totally gone...

Bought a new one today and everything is in order.

Relieved!

b.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, well that explains it. I'm not sure why, but there seem to be a lot more defective SD cards on Pocket PC than on Palm.